Old 07-28-2010, 02:43 PM
Steve Campbell

Default mod_whatkilledus on Centos 5

I'm getting those generic segmentation faults on a Centos 5 htpd
2.2.3-11 webserver. So far, I've not been able to track down what might
be close to causing this. I've read about mod_whatkilledus, but don't
know if I can install this in any way on my server or if it's still even
valid.

Has anyone used this? How was it installed, if so? I don't really want
to start messing with configuring httpd, so I'd like to keep this simple
and RPM-based if at all possible.

Thanks,

Steve Campbell

Old 07-28-2010, 04:00 PM
John Doe

From: Steve Campbell <campbell@cnpapers.com>

> I'm getting those generic segmentation faults on a Centos 5 htpd
> 2.2.3-11 webserver. So far, I've not been able to track down what might
> be close to causing this. I've read about mod_whatkilledus, but don't
> know if I can install this in any way on my server or if it's still even
> valid.
> Has anyone used this? How was it installed, if so? I don't really want
> to start messing with configuring httpd, so I'd like to keep this simple
> and RPM-based if at all possible.

A bit related:
http://www.cyberciti.biz/tips/configure-apache-web-server-for-core-dump.html
But I guess you would need and apache compiled with debuging symbols...

JD

Old 07-28-2010, 04:51 PM
Benjamin Franz

On 07/28/2010 07:43 AM, Steve Campbell wrote:
> I'm getting those generic segmentation faults on a Centos 5 htpd
> 2.2.3-11 webserver. So far, I've not been able to track down what might
> be close to causing this. I've read about mod_whatkilledus, but don't
> know if I can install this in any way on my server or if it's still even
> valid.
>
> Has anyone used this? How was it installed, if so? I don't really want
> to start messing with configuring httpd, so I'd like to keep this simple
> and RPM-based if at all possible.

If your Apache doesn't have any non-stock modules installed, I would
look for a hardware fault first. Start with memtest86+. If you *do* have
non-stock modules installed - look at them. I've run Apache for more
than a decade and seg faults are very rare unless you have flaky
hardware or are using unsupported modules.

--
Benjamin Franz