Old 07-27-2010, 06:18 PM
Boris Epstein

Default CentOS 5.5/i386/32-bit CD installation hickups

Hello listmates,

I've got a few older 32-bit PC's that only have a CD drive (no DVD).
So I downloaded all the ISO's and I thought I'd install CentOS 5.5 on
this 1.25 GB P-3 (I think, don't remember what CPU it's got right off
hand, not that it should matter). So I tried it there, got a fatal
exception. OK, no problem - thinking that maybe something was wrong
with that machine I decided to try it on a different one, a P-3 with
384 MB or RAM. Same thing happened.

So here's my question: has anybody successfully installed CentOS 5.5
on a 32-bit machine (i386) using individual CD's as their installation
media?

Thanks.

Boris.

Old 07-27-2010, 06:25 PM

Boris Epstein wrote:
> Hello listmates,
>
> I've got a few older 32-bit PC's that only have a CD drive (no DVD).
> So I downloaded all the ISO's and I thought I'd install CentOS 5.5 on
> this 1.25 GB P-3 (I think, don't remember what CPU it's got right off
> hand, not that it should matter). So I tried it there, got a fatal
> exception. OK, no problem - thinking that maybe something was wrong
> with that machine I decided to try it on a different one, a P-3 with
> 384 MB or RAM. Same thing happened.
>
> So here's my question: has anybody successfully installed CentOS 5.5
> on a 32-bit machine (i386) using individual CD's as their installation
> media?

How much memory on the system? You *might* want to check the BIOS for some
weird setting - like the ones I had for OS2 installs....

mark

Old 07-27-2010, 06:40 PM
Boris Epstein

On Tue, Jul 27, 2010 at 2:25 PM, <m.roth@5-cent.us> wrote:
> Boris Epstein wrote:
>> Hello listmates,
>>
>> I've got a few older 32-bit PC's that only have a CD drive (no DVD).
>> So I downloaded all the ISO's and I thought I'd install CentOS 5.5 on
>> this 1.25 GB P-3 (I think, don't remember what CPU it's got right off
>> hand, not that it should matter). So I tried it there, got a fatal
>> exception. OK, no problem - thinking that maybe *something was wrong
>> with that machine I decided to try it on a different one, a P-3 with
>> 384 MB or RAM. Same thing happened.
>>
>> So here's my question: has anybody successfully installed CentOS 5.5
>> on a 32-bit machine (i386) using individual CD's as their installation
>> media?
>>
> How much memory on the system? You *might* want to check the BIOS for some
> weird setting - like the ones I had for OS2 installs....
>
> * * * * mark

Mark,

Thanks for replying. Like I said, there have so far been two systems,
one with 384 MB RAM and one with 1.25 GB of RAM. Both get what appears
to be the same (or similar) exception.

Boris.

Old 07-27-2010, 06:52 PM
Benjamin Franz

On 07/27/2010 11:18 AM, Boris Epstein wrote:
> Hello listmates,
>
> I've got a few older 32-bit PC's that only have a CD drive (no DVD).
> So I downloaded all the ISO's and I thought I'd install CentOS 5.5 on
> this 1.25 GB P-3 (I think, don't remember what CPU it's got right off
> hand, not that it should matter). So I tried it there, got a fatal
> exception. OK, no problem - thinking that maybe something was wrong
> with that machine I decided to try it on a different one, a P-3 with
> 384 MB or RAM. Same thing happened.
>
> So here's my question: has anybody successfully installed CentOS 5.5
> on a 32-bit machine (i386) using individual CD's as their installation
> media?

The closest I have is a P3 with 1 GByte of RAM over HTTP using the 5.4
netinstall CD that I installed several months ago (I keep a local mirror
of the CentOS tree). That worked fine for me. My first thought on a
machine that old would be either flaky memory or or a flaky CD drive. I
would run memtest86+ on them and then try a network install. You can
mount the DVD ISO on loopback on a webserver for an install source.

--
Benjamin Franz

Old 07-27-2010, 06:57 PM
Boris Epstein

On Tue, Jul 27, 2010 at 2:52 PM, Benjamin Franz <jfranz@freerun.com> wrote:
> On 07/27/2010 11:18 AM, Boris Epstein wrote:
>> Hello listmates,
>>
>> I've got a few older 32-bit PC's that only have a CD drive (no DVD).
>> So I downloaded all the ISO's and I thought I'd install CentOS 5.5 on
>> this 1.25 GB P-3 (I think, don't remember what CPU it's got right off
>> hand, not that it should matter). So I tried it there, got a fatal
>> exception. OK, no problem - thinking that maybe *something was wrong
>> with that machine I decided to try it on a different one, a P-3 with
>> 384 MB or RAM. Same thing happened.
>>
>> So here's my question: has anybody successfully installed CentOS 5.5
>> on a 32-bit machine (i386) using individual CD's as their installation
>> media?
>>

> The closest I have is a P3 with 1 GByte of RAM over HTTP using the 5.4
> netinstall CD that I installed several months ago (I keep a local mirror
> of the CentOS tree). That worked fine for me. My first thought on a
> machine that old would be either flaky memory or or a flaky CD drive. I
> would run memtest86+ on them and then try a network install. You can
> mount the DVD ISO on loopback on a webserver for an install source.
>
> --
> Benjamin Franz

Benjamin,

Thank you, those are excellent suggestions. I will try that, most likely.

By the way - since it sounds like you have the experience - how easy
is it to mirror CentOS repositories locally? How much space do I need,
roughly?

Thanks.

Boris.

Old 07-27-2010, 07:07 PM
Benjamin Franz

On 07/27/2010 11:57 AM, Boris Epstein wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 27, 2010 at 2:52 PM, Benjamin Franz<jfranz@freerun.com> wrote:
>
>> The closest I have is a P3 with 1 GByte of RAM over HTTP using the 5.4
>> netinstall CD that I installed several months ago (I keep a local mirror
>> of the CentOS tree). That worked fine for me. My first thought on a
>> machine that old would be either flaky memory or or a flaky CD drive. I
>> would run memtest86+ on them and then try a network install. You can
>> mount the DVD ISO on loopback on a webserver for an install source.
>>
> Benjamin,
>
> Thank you, those are excellent suggestions. I will try that, most likely.
>
> By the way - since it sounds like you have the experience - how easy
> is it to mirror CentOS repositories locally? How much space do I need,
> roughly?

I exclude the testing, build, apt, ia64, s390, s390x, and alpha
sub-trees. The 5.5 tree (minus those) takes about 36 Gbytes. During an
update cycle with a new release you can expect about double that between
the old and new trees.

It is pretty easy - I just run a nightly rsync against a good public mirror.

--
Benjamin Franz

Old 07-27-2010, 07:43 PM

Benjamin Franz wrote:
> On 07/27/2010 11:18 AM, Boris Epstein wrote:
>> Hello listmates,
>>
>> I've got a few older 32-bit PC's that only have a CD drive (no DVD). So
I downloaded all the ISO's and I thought I'd install CentOS 5.5 on this
1.25 GB P-3 (I think, don't remember what CPU it's got right off hand,
not that it should matter). So I tried it there, got a fatal exception.
OK, no problem - thinking that maybe something was wrong with that
machine I decided to try it on a different one, a P-3 with 384 MB or
RAM. Same thing happened.
<snip>
> of the CentOS tree). That worked fine for me. My first thought on a
machine that old would be either flaky memory or or a flaky CD drive. I
<snip>
Good thought. I had a *lot* of trouble with one older 32-bit system a few
months ago - I could *not* get it to install from the DVD. I finally used
my USB key, and that worked. Of course, for any other purposes, the drive
worked fine.

mark

Old 07-28-2010, 10:39 AM
John Doe

> From: Boris Epstein <borepstein@gmail.com>

> > On 07/27/2010 11:18 AM, Boris Epstein wrote:
> >> I've got a few older 32-bit PC's that only have a CD drive (no DVD).
> >> So I downloaded all the ISO's and I thought I'd install CentOS 5.5 on
> >> this 1.25 GB P-3 (I think, don't remember what CPU it's got right off
> >> hand, not that it should matter). So I tried it there, got a fatal
> >> exception. OK, no problem - thinking that maybe something was wrong
> >> with that machine I decided to try it on a different one, a P-3 with
> >> 384 MB or RAM. Same thing happened.
> >> So here's my question: has anybody successfully installed CentOS 5.5
> >> on a 32-bit machine (i386) using individual CD's as their installation
> >> media?
> By the way - since it sounds like you have the experience - how easy
> is it to mirror CentOS repositories locally? How much space do I need,
> roughly?

I mirror it manualy (os from the DVDs and update with a simple rsync), although
there is a createrepo package for mirroring repos.
My following repo (i386+x86_64) takes 12GB:
5/os/i386/CentOS
5/os/i386/repodata
5/os/i386/images
5/os/i386/images/pxeboot
5/os/i386/images/xen
5/updates/i386
5/updates/i386/RPMS
5/updates/i386/repodata
5/os/x86_64/CentOS
5/os/x86_64/repodata
5/os/x86_64/images
5/os/x86_64/images/pxeboot
5/os/x86_64/images/xen
5/updates/x86_64
5/updates/x86_64/RPMS
5/updates/x86_64/repodata

About your main issue; did you try older releases or different distros to test?
Maybe try these kernel options (noapic, acpi=off, etc...)

JD

Old 07-28-2010, 11:23 AM
Stephen Harris

On Wed, Jul 28, 2010 at 03:39:46AM -0700, John Doe wrote:
> > From: Boris Epstein <borepstein@gmail.com>
> > By the way - since it sounds like you have the experience - how easy
> > is it to mirror CentOS repositories locally? How much space do I need,
> > roughly?

> I mirror it manualy (os from the DVDs and update with a simple rsync), although
> there is a createrepo package for mirroring repos.

You don't need a createrepo or anything else like; just a simple rsync.

I also copy the DVD and updates.

For i386:
% du -hs /RedHat/DVD/CentOS-5.5
3.9G /RedHat/DVD/CentOS-5.5

% du -hs /RedHat/updates/centos5.5/i386
1.7G /RedHat/updates/centos5.5/i386

For x86_64:
% du -hs /RedHat/DVD/CentOS-5.5_x86_64
4.4G /RedHat/DVD/CentOS-5.5_x86_64

% du -hs /RedHat/updates/centos5.5/x86_64
1.9G /RedHat/updates/centos5.5/x86_64

The rsync script is pretty simple; I run it from cron regularly.

#!/bin/sh
cd /RedHat/updates/centos5.5 || exit

rsync --delete -rlptDzHq rsync://mirrors.kernel.org/centos/5.5/updates/i386 .
rsync --delete -rlptDzHq rsync://mirrors.kernel.org/centos/5.5/updates/x86_64 .

Then I can set up my yum.repos.d similar to this:

[c5-local]
name=CentOS-$releasever - Media
baseurl=file:///RedHat/DVD/CentOS-5/
gpgcheck=1
gpgkey=file:///etc/pki/rpm-gpg/RPM-GPG-KEY-CentOS-5
protect=1
priority=1
enabled=1

[update-local]
name=CentOS-$releasever - Updates local
baseurl=file:///RedHat/updates/centos$releasever/$basearch/
gpgcheck=1
gpgkey=file:///etc/pki/rpm-gpg/RPM-GPG-KEY-CentOS-5
protect=1
priority=1
enabled=1

And, of course, disable the default repositories.

--

rgds
Stephen

Old 07-28-2010, 12:52 PM
Boris Epstein

On Wed, Jul 28, 2010 at 7:23 AM, Stephen Harris <lists@spuddy.org> wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 28, 2010 at 03:39:46AM -0700, John Doe wrote:
>> > From: Boris Epstein <borepstein@gmail.com>
>> > By *the way - since it sounds like you have the experience - how easy
>> > is it to *mirror CentOS repositories locally? How much space do I *need,
>> > roughly?
>
>> I mirror it manualy (os from the DVDs and update with a simple rsync), although
>> there is a createrepo package for mirroring repos.
>
> You don't need a createrepo or anything else like; just a simple rsync.
>
> I also copy the DVD and updates.
>
> For i386:
> *% du -hs /RedHat/DVD/CentOS-5.5
> *3.9G * */RedHat/DVD/CentOS-5.5
>
> *% du -hs /RedHat/updates/centos5.5/i386
> *1.7G * */RedHat/updates/centos5.5/i386
>
> For x86_64:
> *% du -hs /RedHat/DVD/CentOS-5.5_x86_64
> *4.4G * */RedHat/DVD/CentOS-5.5_x86_64
>
> *% du -hs /RedHat/updates/centos5.5/x86_64
> *1.9G * */RedHat/updates/centos5.5/x86_64
>
> The rsync script is pretty simple; I run it from cron regularly.
>
> *#!/bin/sh
> *cd /RedHat/updates/centos5.5 || exit
>
> *rsync --delete -rlptDzHq rsync://mirrors.kernel.org/centos/5.5/updates/i386 .
> *rsync --delete -rlptDzHq rsync://mirrors.kernel.org/centos/5.5/updates/x86_64 .
>
> Then I can set up my yum.repos.d similar to this:
>
> *[c5-local]
> *name=CentOS-$releasever - Media
> *baseurl=file:///RedHat/DVD/CentOS-5/
> *gpgcheck=1
> *gpgkey=file:///etc/pki/rpm-gpg/RPM-GPG-KEY-CentOS-5
> *protect=1
> *priority=1
> *enabled=1
>
> *[update-local]
> *name=CentOS-$releasever - Updates local
> *baseurl=file:///RedHat/updates/centos$releasever/$basearch/
> *gpgcheck=1
> *gpgkey=file:///etc/pki/rpm-gpg/RPM-GPG-KEY-CentOS-5
> *protect=1
> *priority=1
> *enabled=1
>
> And, of course, disable the default repositories.
>
> --
>
> rgds
> Stephen

Thanks, Stephen, looks like an excellent set of instructions. I may
well try that.

Why should I disable the default repositories, though?

Boris.