Old 07-27-2010, 03:43 PM
adrian kok

Default bash shell in xwin

Hi

I type the password in bash shell. but it can be displayed what I typed

why?

Thank you

Old 07-27-2010, 03:49 PM

adrian kok wrote:

> I type the password in bash shell. but it can be displayed what I typed
>
> why?

I don't have a clue what you're asking. Are you saying that you issue the
command passwd to change your password, and passwd displays your password
in clear text as you type it?

mark

Old 07-27-2010, 06:19 PM
"Alexander Dalloz"

> Hi
>
> I type the password in bash shell. but it can be displayed what I typed

I take it that you found out that what you enter as a new password when
running "passwd" is hidden. That is correct.

> why?

Security. Even try to avoid that people look at your fingers when you set
or enter passwords.

> Thank you

If you are concerned to enter your password correct? That's why you have
to retype it.

If you like to have different control over setting password checkout "man
chpasswd".

Alexander