-   -   Keyboard macros, or another way? (http://www.linux-archive.org/centos/404592-keyboard-macros-another-way.html)

Dotan Cohen 07-27-2010 05:47 AM

Keyboard macros, or another way?

As I am now managing a CentOS server, I've installed 5.4 on a spare
desktop partition. A lot of my work is to copy and paste from various
text fields online and in a local text editor. Therefore, I would like
to define my keyboard's multimedia keys for some functions:
1) Clear field (might be accomplished by Select All then Delete)
2) Cut (standard Ctrl-X clipboard, not X11)
3) Copy (standard Ctrl-C clipboard, not X11)
4) Paste (standard Ctrl-V clipboard, not X11)

To start, the key that I would like to assign for Copy has these properties:
Scancode (showkey -s):
0xe0 0xba
0xe0 0xea

Keycode (showkey):
158

Keycode (xev):
166

I have tried these .Xmodmap lines and none of the worked to assign the
key to Copy:
keycode 158 = XF86Copy
keycode 166 = XF86Copy

I should note that I _think_ that XF86Copy affects the mouse
highlight-and-middle-click clipboard, not the ctrl-c|ctrl-v clipboard.
It is the later that I do need, not the former. If I get this worked
out, Cut and Paste should be easy (ha!). However, I am still at a loss
about what to do with the "Clear field" button.

Thanks.

--
Dotan Cohen

http://gibberish.co.il