Old 07-27-2010, 01:46 AM
Edward Diener

Default Boot from CD

I am running CentOS 5.5 and I want to create a boot CD so that if my
boot partition is moved I can still boot from the boot CD and
re-initialize grub again. Is there some easy to use utility which will
enable me to do this ?

Old 07-27-2010, 01:56 AM
Athmane Madjoudj

On 07/27/2010 02:46 AM, Edward Diener wrote:
> I am running CentOS 5.5 and I want to create a boot CD so that if my
> boot partition is moved I can still boot from the boot CD and
> re-initialize grub again. Is there some easy to use utility which will
> enable me to do this ?

The first centos CD or DVD has a rescue mode, just type on the boot screen:

linux rescue

HTH

--
Athmane Madjoudj

Old 07-27-2010, 01:59 AM
Athmane Madjoudj

On 07/27/2010 02:56 AM, Athmane Madjoudj wrote:
> On 07/27/2010 02:46 AM, Edward Diener wrote:
>> I am running CentOS 5.5 and I want to create a boot CD so that if my
>> boot partition is moved I can still boot from the boot CD and
>> re-initialize grub again. Is there some easy to use utility which will
>> enable me to do this ?
>>

> The first centos CD or DVD has a rescue mode, just type on the boot screen:
>
> linux rescue
>

> HTH

There's also LiveCD, peek a mirror and get the live iso, depending on
your platform chose i386 or x86_64

/centos/5.5/isos/i386/CentOS-5.5-i386-LiveCD-Release2.iso

--
Athmane Madjoudj

Old 07-27-2010, 02:05 AM
Robert Heller

> I am running CentOS 5.5 and I want to create a boot CD so that if my
> boot partition is moved I can still boot from the boot CD and
> re-initialize grub again. Is there some easy to use utility which will
> enable me to do this ?

# mkbootdisk --device bootdisk.iso --iso `uname -r`
# cdrecord driveropts=burnfree -v speed=8 -gracetime=0 -sao
dev=/dev/cdwriter bootdisk.iso

heller@deepsoft.com -- Contract Programming: C/C++, Tcl/Tk