Old 07-26-2010, 03:44 PM

Default how to install centos on the attached external usb hard disk?

John Doe wrote:
> From: hadi motamedi <motamedi24@gmail.com>
>>Sorry. You mean I do not need to install grub boot loader when installing
>> on the
>>
>>usb disk? Please comment.
>
> Did you enable usb booting in the bios...?

Or tell it to boot from it, rather than hitting the hard drive or CD/DVD
first?

mark

Old 07-26-2010, 04:06 PM
Whit Blauvelt

On Mon, Jul 26, 2010 at 11:44:33AM -0400, m.roth@5-cent.us wrote:

> Or tell it to boot from it, rather than hitting the hard drive or CD/DVD
> first?

BIOSs can be strange here too. Some, you tell 'em to boot from USB, and
they'll obey that just as long as the USB drive is plugged in on each boot.
As soon as they boot once without it, they stop looking for it until you go
into the BIOS to set it up again.

On some systems hitting Esc on boot will give you choices between all
available devices, overcoming the BIOS having decided to subsequently stop
trying the USB after the first failure in looking there. But for something
as useful to administration as being able to boot from USB, getting BIOSs to
play along can be a pain.

Whit