Old 07-26-2010, 07:23 AM
Alexander Dalloz

Default Php 5.2.x support ends

Am 26.07.2010 09:04, schrieb Bob Hoffman:

> Thinking of just sitting on this for awhile? Thoughts?

That is an upstream note.

Red Hat will support PHP 5 as shipped by them until the EOL of RHEL 5.

Though there are rumors that with release of Update 6 RHEL 5 will come
with an additional PHP5.3 package set - PHP 5.3 is an ABI change. Like
RHEL 5 Update 5 comes with additional samba3x and postgres84.

Regards

Alexander

Old 07-26-2010, 07:30 AM
Eero Volotinen

http://iuscommunity.org/ offers php 5.3.x repository to rhel and clones

--
Eero,
RHCE

Old 07-26-2010, 07:43 AM
"gaohu"

just this one , I found this repo
yesterday. Now I'm still using my own source build
php and mysql, but thie repo looks nice ?*
rpmfusion is good and stable ,but often is not
the lastest. this one*looks *good, I'll try
it later. Thank you !
*

gaohu

Old 07-26-2010, 10:05 AM
Keith Roberts

On Mon, 26 Jul 2010, gaohu wrote:

> From: gaohu <tigerheight@gmail.com>
> Subject: Re: [CentOS] Php 5.2.x support ends
>
> thus, can we install php 5.3.x using yum ?
> Is there any repo that we can use to install the latest version of software?
>

> 2010-07-26
>

> gaohu

You can install PHP 5.3.2 from REMI repo, which is dependant
on EPEL repo.

You will need to setup the yum-priorities plugin, and only
enable REMI repo to install newer packages.

I had to set my priorities for REMI the same as Centos base
repo.

To enable the REMI repo use:

yum --enablerepo=remi install php php-cli php-devel

# Name : php
# Arch : i386
# Version : 5.3.2
# Release : 2.el5.remi
# Size : 3.3 M
# Repo : installed
PHP attempts to
# : make it easy for developers to write
dynamically generated
# : webpages. PHP also offers built-in database
integration for
# : several commercial and non-commercial
database management
# : systems, so writing a database-enabled
webpage with PHP is
# : fairly simple. The most common use of PHP
coding is probably
# : as a replacement for CGI scripts.
# :
# : The php package contains the module which
adds support for the
# : PHP language to Apache HTTP Server.

Installing REMI PHP will also update mysql server to 5.1.8

Installed Packages
Name : mysql
Arch : i386
Version : 5.1.48
Release : 1.el5.remi.1
Size : 2.3 M
Repo : installed
database server. MySQL is a
: client/server implementation consisting of a
server daemon (mysqld)
: and many different client programs and
libraries. The base package
: contains the MySQL client programs, the client
shared libraries, and
: generic MySQL files.

Here's the yum repo files for EPEL and REMI:

EPEL:

[epel]
name=Extra Packages for Enterprise Linux 5 - $basearch
#baseurl=http://download.fedoraproject.org/pub/epel/5/$basearch
mirrorlist=http://mirrors.fedoraproject.org/mirrorlist?repo=epel-5&arch=$basearch
failovermethod=priority
enabled=1
gpgcheck=1
gpgkey=file:///etc/pki/rpm-gpg/RPM-GPG-KEY-EPEL
priority=99

[epel-testing]
name=Extra Packages for Enterprise Linux 5 - Testing -
$basearch
#baseurl=http://download.fedoraproject.org/pub/epel/testing/5/$basearch
mirrorlist=http://mirrors.fedoraproject.org/mirrorlist?repo=testing-epel5&arch=$bas
failovermethod=priority
enabled=0
gpgcheck=1
gpgkey=file:///etc/pki/rpm-gpg/RPM-GPG-KEY-EPEL
priority=99

REMI:

[remi]
name=Les RPM de remi pour Enterprise Linux 5 - $basearch
baseurl=http://rpms.famillecollet.com/enterprise/5/remi/$basearch/

http://iut-info.univ-reims.fr/remirpms/enterprise/5/remi/$basearch/
enabled=0
gpgcheck=1
gpgkey=file:///etc/pki/rpm-gpg/RPM-GPG-KEY-remi
# failovermethod=priority
priority=1

[remi-test]
name=Les RPM de remi en test pour Enterprise Linux 5 -
$basearch
baseurl=http://rpms.famillecollet.com//enterprise/5/test/$basearch/
enabled=0
gpgcheck=1
gpgkey=file:///etc/pki/rpm-gpg/RPM-GPG-KEY-remi
priority=1

HTH

Kind Regards,

Keith

Old 07-26-2010, 01:38 PM
John R Pierce

On 07/26/10 12:04 AM, Bob Hoffman wrote:
> Thinking of just sitting on this for awhile? Thoughts?
>

> Last release for PHP 5.2& updates for 5.3
>
> PHP Logo The users of PHP 5.2 should upgrade to 5.3 at their earliest
> convenience, as the active support of the 5.2 series came to an end with the
> release of version 5.2.14 earlier today. PHP 5.2.0 was released almost four
> years ago and according to the release announcement,
> http://www.php.net/archive/2010.php#id2010-07-22-1

sounds like a great reason to get away from using PHP entirely, since
they seem to be incapable of releasing upgrades that don't massively
break applications. 4 years is just too short of a life cycle for a
major release used in a production system.

Old 07-26-2010, 02:48 PM
John Hinton

On 7/26/2010 9:38 AM, John R Pierce wrote:
> On 07/26/10 12:04 AM, Bob Hoffman wrote:
>
>> Thinking of just sitting on this for awhile? Thoughts?
>>

>> Last release for PHP 5.2& updates for 5.3
>>
>> PHP Logo The users of PHP 5.2 should upgrade to 5.3 at their earliest
>> convenience, as the active support of the 5.2 series came to an end with the
>> release of version 5.2.14 earlier today. PHP 5.2.0 was released almost four
>> years ago and according to the release announcement,
>> http://www.php.net/archive/2010.php#id2010-07-22-1

> sounds like a great reason to get away from using PHP entirely, since
> they seem to be incapable of releasing upgrades that don't massively
> break applications. 4 years is just too short of a life cycle for a
> major release used in a production system.

Always a dilemma. The very beauty of upstream therefore CentOS is that
security issues will be backported to our current installations. In a
hosting environment, you don't have to worry about breaking people's php
websites/apps. The downside is the long lived old php versions do not
run many of the new apps those same hosted clients wish to run. But in
most cases, it's those same clients that build something and expect it
to run forever and get very upset when they are told they must
upgrade/rewrite their scripts.

Of note. I did a 5.2 upgrade on one of our local use systems. I don't
know how much more is broken, but for certain the standard CentOS
install of SquirrelMail is borked. We don't use it on that system, so no
big deal. I thought I'd post this just so those with mission critical
machines would know that upgrading PHP does have an effect on at least
this one upstream package. I can only assume if one looked deep enough,
some other things may be broken as well. It really is hard to test
'everything' that a client may be using.

To me, the fact that PHP seems to have a 4 year life cycle, further
strengthens the use of CentOS with its 7 year life cycle. Yes, it is an
inconvenience from time to time. We don't get to count how many times it
is a convenience however. You only hear when it doesn't or can't work,
not how many times something continues to work due to this mindset.

John Hinton

Old 07-28-2010, 08:38 AM
Eero Volotinen

2010/7/26 John Hinton <webmaster@ew3d.com>:
> On 7/26/2010 9:38 AM, John R Pierce wrote:
>> * *On 07/26/10 12:04 AM, Bob Hoffman wrote:
>>
>>> Thinking of just sitting on this for awhile? Thoughts?
>>>

>>> * *Last release for PHP 5.2& * updates for 5.3
>>>
>>> PHP Logo The users of PHP 5.2 should upgrade to 5.3 at their earliest
>>> convenience, as the active support of the 5.2 series came to an end with the
>>> release of version 5.2.14 earlier today. PHP 5.2.0 was released almost four
>>> years ago and according to the release announcement,
>>> http://www.php.net/archive/2010.php#id2010-07-22-1

>> sounds like a great reason to get away from using PHP entirely, since
>> they seem to be incapable of releasing upgrades that don't massively
>> break applications. * 4 years is just too short of a life cycle for a
>> major release used in a production system.
>>

> Always a dilemma. The very beauty of upstream therefore CentOS is that
> security issues will be backported to our current installations. In a
> hosting environment, you don't have to worry about breaking people's php
> websites/apps. The downside is the long lived old php versions do not
> run many of the new apps those same hosted clients wish to run. But in
> most cases, it's those same clients that build something and expect it
> to run forever and get very upset when they are told they must
> upgrade/rewrite their scripts.
>
> Of note. I did a 5.2 upgrade on one of our local use systems. I don't
> know how much more is broken, but for certain the standard CentOS
> install of SquirrelMail is borked. We don't use it on that system, so no
> big deal. I thought I'd post this just so those with mission critical
> machines would know that upgrading PHP does have an effect on at least
> this one upstream package. I can only assume if one looked deep enough,
> some other things may be broken as well. It really is hard to test
> 'everything' that a client may be using.
>
> To me, the fact that PHP seems to have a 4 year life cycle, further
> strengthens the use of CentOS with its 7 year life cycle. Yes, it is an
> inconvenience from time to time. We don't get to count how many times it
> is a convenience however. You only hear when it doesn't or can't work,
> not how many times something continues to work due to this mindset.

Well, mainly problem is that rhel/centos is shipping so old php
version and mysql.

and "lack" of reliable source for newer versions for production.. I
hope rhel 6/centos 6 fixes this problem also..

--
Eero

Old 07-28-2010, 09:53 AM
John Doe

From: Eero Volotinen <eero.volotinen@iki.fi>

> Well, mainly problem is that rhel/centos is shipping so old php
> version and mysql.
> and "lack" of reliable source for newer versions for production.. I
> hope rhel 6/centos 6 fixes this problem also..

It will temporarily fix the problem... But in n years, we will have once more
the same discussion and will hope centos 7 will solve this problem... Rinse and
repeat ^_^
On the opposite side, I recently tried to explain to some mplayer dev why having
dev (alpha,beta,rc) and prod(stable) versions was a good idea... but they stood
by their "alaways compile the latest svn version" and "it helps debug the
application faster" (true, but a pain for users) stances.

JD