Old 07-25-2010, 03:15 PM
Dotan Cohen

Default Enabling X on headless server via network

Hi all. I need to run X on a headless server, and I am having a hard
time configuring null devices in xorg.conf. Here are the server's
vital stats as per the getinfo.sh script on centos.org:
http://pastebin.centos.org/33908

When I try to start X:
[root@CentOS-55-32-minimal ~]# startx
xauth: creating new authority file /root/.serverauth.11196

X Window System Version 7.1.1
Release Date: 12 May 2006
X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0, Release 7.1.1
Build Operating System: Linux 2.6.18-53.el5 i686 Red Hat, Inc.
Current Operating System: Linux CentOS-55-32-minimal
2.6.18-194.3.1.el5PAE #1 SMP Thu May 13 13:48:44 EDT 2010 i686
Build Date: 13 May 2010
Build ID: xorg-x11-server 1.1.1-48.76.el5_5.1
Before reporting problems, check http://wiki.x.org
Module Loader present
(++) from command line, (!!) notice, (II) informational,
(==) Log file: "/var/log/Xorg.0.log", Time: Mon Jul 26 01:12:22 2010
(==) Using config file: "/etc/X11/xorg.conf"
(EE) NV(0): No valid initial configuration found
(EE) Screen(s) found, but none have a usable configuration.

Fatal server error:
no screens found
XIO: fatal IO error 104 (Connection reset by peer) on X server ":0.0"
after 0 requests (0 known processed) with 0 events remaining.
[root@CentOS-55-32-minimal ~]#

Right now xorg.conf is stock, I have removed all my failed
experiments. Should I post the logfiles? Note that my goal is to start
X, then ssh in and run Firefox remotely from a Fedora desktop. The
server itself has no monitor.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

--
Dotan Cohen

http://gibberish.co.il
http://what-is-what.com

Old 07-25-2010, 03:26 PM
Hakan Koseoglu

On 25 July 2010 16:15, Dotan Cohen <dotancohen@gmail.com> wrote:
> experiments. Should I post the logfiles? Note that my goal is to start
> X, then ssh in and run Firefox remotely from a Fedora desktop. The
> server itself has no monitor.
I'm not sure what you are trying to do. Using VNC server or ssh with
X11 tunneling (-X or -Y) would make more sense.
You don't need X itself running for either of these.

Old 07-25-2010, 03:32 PM
Dotan Cohen

On Sun, Jul 25, 2010 at 18:26, Hakan Koseoglu <hakan@koseoglu.org> wrote:
> I'm not sure what you are trying to do. Using VNC server or ssh with
> X11 tunneling (-X or -Y) would make more sense.
> You don't need X itself running for either of these.

Yes, my intention is to ssh in then run the app like this:
local$ ssh -X user@remote
remote$ firefox

However, when I do this I get no response (no firefox window opens, no
terminal output), even after several minutes. I figured that was
because X is not running.

--
Dotan Cohen

http://gibberish.co.il
http://what-is-what.com

Old 07-25-2010, 03:37 PM
Christoph Maser

Am 25.07.2010 17:15, schrieb Dotan Cohen:
> Note that my goal is to start
> X, then ssh in and run Firefox remotely from a Fedora desktop. The
> server itself has no monitor.
>
> Thanks in advance for any advice.

For that you do not need an X server on the remote machine all you need
is X11 Forwarding in SSH. It needs to be enabled on the SSH Server
(X11Forwarding option) and on the SSH client (command line options -Y or -X)

You only need to run an X server on the remote machine if you want to do
XDMCP

+C

Old 07-25-2010, 03:38 PM
Hakan Koseoglu

Dotan,

On 25 July 2010 16:32, Dotan Cohen <dotancohen@gmail.com> wrote:
> However, when I do this I get no response (no firefox window opens, no
> terminal output), even after several minutes. I figured that was
> because X is not running.
That's not the reason. You don't run X on the server for such
purposes. You already run it on your own PC. In such cases the server
runs on your PC, the client is the app you are running. I know it
sounds backward but that's the case.
Are you sure you have enough bandwidth? Try running something simple
like xterm. Also X11 forwarding might have been turned off in
sshd_config.

Old 07-25-2010, 04:10 PM
Les Mikesell

Dotan Cohen wrote:
> On Sun, Jul 25, 2010 at 18:26, Hakan Koseoglu <hakan@koseoglu.org> wrote:
>> I'm not sure what you are trying to do. Using VNC server or ssh with
>> X11 tunneling (-X or -Y) would make more sense.
>> You don't need X itself running for either of these.
>>

> Yes, my intention is to ssh in then run the app like this:
> local$ ssh -X user@remote
> remote$ firefox
>
> However, when I do this I get no response (no firefox window opens, no
> terminal output), even after several minutes. I figured that was
> because X is not running.

I think you need to use -Y instead of -X these days but I've never understood
which apps care. Also, firefox is unusual in that if it is already running for
a user it will try to tell the running copy to open a new window in its existing
context instead of opening a new one that can be forwarded (but you'd only see
that if you had X running elsewhere).

What you are trying should work without running X at the console, but you might
like the freenx/NX client even better. That gives you a complete remote X
desktop with very good performance that you can disconnect and reconnect with
everything still running. See www.nomachine.com for the client
(linux/windows/mac) details but you can get freenx from the epel repo.

--
Les Mikesell
lesmikesell@gmail.com

Old 07-25-2010, 04:14 PM
Akemi Yagi

On Sun, Jul 25, 2010 at 9:10 AM, Les Mikesell <lesmikesell@gmail.com> wrote:

> What you are trying should work without running X at the console, but you might
> like the freenx/NX client even better. *That gives you a complete remote X
> desktop with very good performance that you can disconnect and reconnect with
> everything still running. *See www.nomachine.com for the client
> (linux/windows/mac) details but you can get freenx from the epel repo.

I would also recommend NX. CentOS supplies freenx/nx, no need to go to EPEL. :-)

Please follow the instructions here:

http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/FreeNX

Akemi

Old 07-25-2010, 04:23 PM
Dotan Cohen

On Sun, Jul 25, 2010 at 18:38, Hakan Koseoglu <hakan@koseoglu.org> wrote:
> Dotan,
>
> On 25 July 2010 16:32, Dotan Cohen <dotancohen@gmail.com> wrote:
>> However, when I do this I get no response (no firefox window opens, no
>> terminal output), even after several minutes. I figured that was
>> because X is not running.
> That's not the reason. You don't run X on the server for such
> purposes. You already run it on your own PC. In such cases the server
> runs on your PC, the client is the app you are running. I know it
> sounds backward but that's the case.

Actually, I do understand that unusual server/client relationship. But
I thought that X had to be running on the remote machine too. I am
happily corrected!

> Are you sure you have enough bandwidth? Try running something simple
> like xterm. Also X11 forwarding might have been turned off in
> sshd_config.

I don't. After 15 minutes the square of the supposed Firefox window
came up. That's painful! But therein lies the problem.

Thanks.

--
Dotan Cohen

http://gibberish.co.il
http://what-is-what.com

Old 07-25-2010, 04:24 PM
Dotan Cohen

On Sun, Jul 25, 2010 at 19:14, Akemi Yagi <amyagi@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Jul 25, 2010 at 9:10 AM, Les Mikesell <lesmikesell@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> What you are trying should work without running X at the console, but you might
>> like the freenx/NX client even better. *That gives you a complete remote X
>> desktop with very good performance that you can disconnect and reconnect with
>> everything still running. *See www.nomachine.com for the client
>> (linux/windows/mac) details but you can get freenx from the epel repo.
>
> I would also recommend NX. CentOS supplies freenx/nx, no need to go to EPEL. :-)
>
> Please follow the instructions here:
>
> http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/FreeNX

Thanks for the suggestion, I will give it a try. I have heard of
FreeNX, but never used it.

Have a great week!

--
Dotan Cohen

http://gibberish.co.il
http://what-is-what.com

Old 07-25-2010, 04:35 PM
Stephen Harris

On Sun, Jul 25, 2010 at 07:23:03PM +0300, Dotan Cohen wrote:
> I don't. After 15 minutes the square of the supposed Firefox window
> came up. That's painful! But therein lies the problem.

Which shows it's working... but painfully slowly. Bandwidth and especially
latency is killing you.

FreeNX is designed to work around this by reducing the number of round-trips
needed (amongst other things).

--

rgds
Stephen