Old 07-24-2010, 12:56 PM
Jim Perrin

Default how to install centos on the attached external usb hard disk?

On Sat, Jul 24, 2010 at 3:28 AM, hadi motamedi <motamedi24@gmail.com> wrote:
> Dear All
> I have centos running on my VBox guest on my Windows host. I need to install
> centos on the attached external usb hard disk ,connected to my guest
> machine.Can you please let me know how can install centos on this external
> usb hard disk?
> Thank you

Step 1: Configure virtualbox to see the drive you want.
Step 2: http://www.redhat.com/docs/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/5.5/html/Installation_Guide/index.html

Hadi, as much as I enjoy this community, learning from it,
contributing to it, etc... I can't help but feel that you're simply
abusing it to avoid doing your own work. I cannot recall a single
question you've asked which has shown that you've put any effort at
all into helping yourself. Please at least attempt to figure things
out for yourself first.

George Orwell

Old 07-25-2010, 06:47 AM
hadi motamedi

Step 1: Configure virtualbox to see the drive you want.

Step 2: http://www.redhat.com/docs/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/5.5/html/Installation_Guide/index.html

Hadi, as much as I enjoy this community, learning from it,

contributing to it, etc... I can't help but feel that you're simply

abusing it to avoid doing your own work. I cannot recall a single

question you've asked which has shown that you've put any effort at

all into helping yourself. Please at least attempt to figure things

out for yourself first.

George Orwell

I tried to do it as the following :
#dd if=/dev/hda of=/dev/sda
But it was not successful. The primary disk is 150GB and the external usb disk is 20GB. As I check with the 'df -m' , with respect to the used space , the 20GB capacity seems to be sufficient. Can you please let me know how to modify my command to have the os installed on the primary disk to be cloned to the external usb disk ?

Old 07-25-2010, 04:37 PM
Les Mikesell

hadi motamedi wrote:

> I tried to do it as the following :
> #dd if=/dev/hda of=/dev/sda
> But it was not successful. The primary disk is 150GB and the external
> usb disk is 20GB. As I check with the 'df -m' , with respect to the used
> space , the 20GB capacity seems to be sufficient. Can you please let me
> know how to modify my command to have the os installed on the primary
> disk to be cloned to the external usb disk ?

You can't do an image clone to a smaller target. If you need to do this, get a
matching or larger target drive. Or, install from scratch on the USB device and
then copy over any files you need from the source drive.

If you want to do much disk cloning, look at the bootable clonezilla-live CD.
It makes it simple and knows enough about most filesystems to only copy the used
blocks, but it still can't move a large source to a smaller disk - although it
could put a compressed image there that could be used as a source to restore the
larger drive. If you are just looking for a full backup and don't expect to run
from the USB, that might work for you.

--
Les Mikesell
lesmikesell@gmail.com

Old 07-26-2010, 04:03 AM
hadi motamedi

You can't do an image clone to a smaller target. *If you need to do this, get a

matching or larger target drive. *Or, install from scratch on the USB device and

*then copy over any files you need from the source drive.

If you want to do much disk cloning, look at the bootable clonezilla-live CD.

It makes it simple and knows enough about most filesystems to only copy the used

blocks, but it still can't move a large source to a smaller disk - although it

could put a compressed image there that could be used as a source to restore the

larger drive. *If you are just looking for a full backup and don't expect to run

from the USB, that might work for you.

--

* Les Mikesell

* *lesmikesell@gmail.com

I tried to install from the installation media . I put the install cd and then tried for 'expert' and select /dev/sda instead of /dev/hda as the media to install on. But at the end my machine cannot be booted from the usb disk. Can you please let me know how can I make it as bootable disk?

Old 07-26-2010, 08:43 AM
James Hogarth

> I tried to install from the installation media . I put the install cd and
> then tried for 'expert' and select /dev/sda instead of /dev/hda as the media
> to install on. But at the end my machine cannot be booted from the usb disk.
> Can you please let me know how can I make it as bootable disk?

Done that way I'd be surprised if you had a bootable machine....
Unless you mean tried to install within the vbox session... /dev/sda
would most likely wipe out your internal hard disk (where you said you
have windows installed).

What are you actually trying to accomplish? You should note that grub
will not always play nice being installed on/running from an external
usb drive if you are intending to use it as a portable distro... no
guarantees that the device.map will be valid from one machine to the
next...

Old 07-26-2010, 12:31 PM
John Doe

From: hadi motamedi <motamedi24@gmail.com>
>Sorry. You mean I do not need to install grub boot loader when installing on the
>
>usb disk? Please comment.

Did you enable usb booting in the bios...?

JD

Old 07-28-2010, 04:32 AM
hadi motamedi

Old 07-28-2010, 01:01 PM
Les Mikesell

hadi motamedi wrote:

> Did you enable usb booting in the bios...?
>
> JD

> I press 'ESC' after reboot the machine and select the boot device as
> 'USB' but it cannot be booted from.

I think I have seen computers that would boot from an unpartitioned flash key
but not a device with partitions - but I don't know if this is common or how to
change it.

--
Les Mikesell
lesmikesell@gmail.com

Old 07-28-2010, 01:25 PM

Les Mikesell wrote:
> hadi motamedi wrote:
>>
>> Did you enable usb booting in the bios...?
>>
>> I press 'ESC' after reboot the machine and select the boot device as
>> 'USB' but it cannot be booted from.
>
> I think I have seen computers that would boot from an unpartitioned flash
> key but not a device with partitions - but I don't know if this is
common or
> how to change it.

I dunno - the USB key I built for installing CentOS has two partitions,
and the first is flagged bootable, and all the systems I've used it on
certainly boot from that first partition.

mark "once I go through the boot menu"