Old 07-23-2010, 12:47 PM
Niki Kovacs

Default Problem installing WordPress on CentOS

Hi,

I have a curious problem installing WordPress on a local LAMP server
running CentOS 5.5. I have some other (dynamic) websites running on the
same machine without problems. Here's what I did.

1) Create a 'wordpress' database in MySQL monitor.

2) Download WordPress, unzip it into /var/www/html/

3) # chown -R apache:apache /var/www/html/wordpress

4) Open Firefox on http://localhost/wordpress

5) Follow instructions (fill in database name, database user and
password, etcetera).

And here's where things go wrong. When I click on "Begin installation",
Firefox wants to "open" the file install.php by leaving me one of the
two following choices :

a) edit "install.php" in GEdit
b) download "install.php"

I'm puzzled. Why doesn't install.php simply open as a page?

Any idea what went wrong here?

Cheers,

Niki

Old 07-23-2010, 01:11 PM
Niki Kovacs

Basti Schubert a écrit :
> have a look at your webserver error log
>
> cheers
> basti

That did the trick!

I took a peek in /var/log/httpd/error_log, and found a few lines of
"script tried to increase memory_limit to xxxxxxxx bytes".

I edited /etc/php.ini and increased the memory limit from 16M to 32M,
restarted Apache, and now everything works.

By the way: I wonder if this could create some problems.

Thanks very much!

Niki

Old 07-23-2010, 01:16 PM
Barry Brimer

<snip>

> And here's where things go wrong. When I click on "Begin installation",
> Firefox wants to "open" the file install.php by leaving me one of the
> two following choices :
>
> a) edit "install.php" in GEdit
> b) download "install.php"

It sounds like you might not have your php set up correctly in apache or
at least in this virtualhost. Somewhere in your configuration do you have
lines that say:

AddHandler php5-script .php
AddType text/html .php

This is most likely found in /etc/httpd/conf.d/php.conf

Barry

Old 07-23-2010, 04:40 PM
John R Pierce

On 07/23/10 5:47 AM, Niki Kovacs wrote:
> 3) # chown -R apache:apache /var/www/html/wordpress

I have always been told that apache shouldn't own or have write access
to files or directories unless it absolutely has to, as this is a
unnecessary security exposure

Old 07-23-2010, 09:04 PM
John Hinton

On 7/23/2010 12:40 PM, John R Pierce wrote:
> On 07/23/10 5:47 AM, Niki Kovacs wrote:
>
>> 3) # chown -R apache:apache /var/www/html/wordpress
>>
> I have always been told that apache shouldn't own or have write access
> to files or directories unless it absolutely has to, as this is a
> unnecessary security exposure

Correct. However if you wish to implement the client upload feature,
there is an uploads directory under wp-content which will need write
ability. The WordPress created subdirectories within this directory will
also be set to these permissions. But that is only place where write
should be considered. This is where items like uploaded photos exist.

John Hinton