-   -   Building an install disk on a USB key manually or using unetbootin (http://www.linux-archive.org/centos/402936-building-install-disk-usb-key-manually-using-unetbootin.html)

Whit Blauvelt 07-22-2010 10:26 PM

On Thu, Jul 22, 2010 at 05:09:22PM -0500, David wrote:
> Has anyone successfully built a USB key for installing centos5.5 either
> manually or using a tool like unetbootin?

Haven't tried it for CentOS, but unetbootin hasn't worked for me for several
other distros. Not once. Not sure why I even tried it more than once. The
author claims it runs better from Windows.

Whit

David 07-22-2010 10:52 PM

Building an install disk on a USB key manually or using unetbootin

That is discouraging news.

I have been unsuccessful thus far in my attempts to create a USB
installer that doesn't depend on network access, which is one of my
requirements.

Whit Blauvelt 07-22-2010 11:30 PM

On Thu, Jul 22, 2010 at 05:52:50PM -0500, David wrote:
> That is discouraging news.

On the other hand, I've done USB installs of other distros that worked just
fine. But those weren't set up with unetbootin. You could probably get away
with, say, putting System Rescue Disk on a USB key, using that to boot and
to put a partition on your hard drive, downloading a CentOS iso to the
partition, mounting it as a loopback, chrooting into it, and seeing where
you could go from there. Totally untested for CentOS, but something like
that should work.

Or if you have a Windows box to set up from, I've found other recipes from
this site useful in the past:

http://www.pendrivelinux.com/usb-centos-5-live-install-via-windows/

Whit

Bowie Bailey 07-23-2010 02:46 PM

On 7/22/2010 6:09 PM, David wrote:
> Has anyone successfully built a USB key for installing centos5.5 either
> manually or using a tool like unetbootin?
>
> I am trying to create one using the 64bit install DVD iso and so far the
> USB either won't boot (unetbootin) or the installation aborts after I
> select the iso location on the USB key (manual).

I was able to successfully install CentOS 32-bit from an 8GB USB flash
drive (4GB is not quite big enough, even for i386) created with this
procedure:

Create a 10M DOS partition on the USB drive and make it active
Create Linux partition using the rest of the drive

mkfs -t vfat /dev/<USB DOS partition>
mkfs /dev/<USB Linux partition>

liveCD-iso-to-disk <boot.iso> /dev/<USB DOS partition>
mount /dev/<USB Linux partition> /mnt
rsync --progress <CentOS.iso> /mnt/

You can get the boot.iso by loop-mounting the CentOS iso and pulling it
out of the /os/i386/images directory, or grab it from one of the mirrors
(the mirror links on the CentOS site link directly to the install isos,
so you'll have to browse up a few directories and then go back down to
find the images directory).

I used 'rsync' here because I hate having a copy process run for 10
minutes with no progress indication. :)

The only problem I found was that the install insisted on installing
grub on the USB drive rather than the target hard drive. I finally had
to skip the grub installation and install it by hand afterwards.

--
Bowie

07-23-2010 03:22 PM

Bowie Bailey wrote:
> On 7/22/2010 6:09 PM, David wrote:
>> Has anyone successfully built a USB key for installing centos5.5 either
>> manually or using a tool like unetbootin?
>>
>> I am trying to create one using the 64bit install DVD iso and so far the
>> USB either won't boot (unetbootin) or the installation aborts after I
>> select the iso location on the USB key (manual).
>
> I was able to successfully install CentOS 32-bit from an 8GB USB flash
> drive (4GB is not quite big enough, even for i386) created with this
> procedure:
>
> Create a 10M DOS partition on the USB drive and make it active
> Create Linux partition using the rest of the drive
>
> mkfs -t vfat /dev/<USB DOS partition>
> mkfs /dev/<USB Linux partition>
>
> liveCD-iso-to-disk <boot.iso> /dev/<USB DOS partition>
> mount /dev/<USB Linux partition> /mnt
> rsync --progress <CentOS.iso> /mnt/
>
> You can get the boot.iso by loop-mounting the CentOS iso and pulling it
> out of the /os/i386/images directory, or grab it from one of the mirrors
> (the mirror links on the CentOS site link directly to the install isos,
> so you'll have to browse up a few directories and then go back down to
> find the images directory).
>
> I used 'rsync' here because I hate having a copy process run for 10
> minutes with no progress indication. :)
>
> The only problem I found was that the install insisted on installing
> grub on the USB drive rather than the target hard drive. I finally had
> to skip the grub installation and install it by hand afterwards.

Yeah - that may be either an install thing, or an anaconda one. I hate
that. I always have to reboot from the USB key, go to linux rescue, then
chroot to /mnt/sysimage, and grub-install /dev/sda

Then I have to edit /boot/device.map, and hand-make an
/boot/grub/grub.conf. I keep meaning to have one on the USB key, so I can
just copy it after I do the grub install.

mark

07-23-2010 05:42 PM

John Doe wrote:
> From: David <david@adurotec.com>
>
>> The USB boots, I get the install menu, the USB drivers, etc. are
>> installed and then I am prompted for the location of the iso. Once I
>> select the location and then the actual iso, the install aborts.
>
> Is there an error message before it "aborts"?
> I use a kickstrat so I am not sure but, I think you should not be prompted
> for
> the iso location...
> Did you add "method=hd:sda2:/centos" in syslinux.cfg?
> It specifies the location of the ISO image(s).
> If you are in a hurry, use the alternative methods (see Alternatives at
> the bottom of th wiki page)...

I'd say the wiki is useless, or far too elaborate. I think I posted my
recipe here when I got it working, a few months ago. If anyone likes, I
can repost it.

mark