Old 07-21-2010, 03:08 AM
Stephen Harris

Default boot process glitch due to missing 2nd disk

On Tue, Jul 20, 2010 at 11:34:17AM -1000, Dave wrote:
> Thanks for all the discussion, but keyboard is not the issue.

Of course it isn't. It's probably that you've configured the BIOS
to mirror the two disks, and with one disk missing it's bitching
and moaning at you.

The whole keyboard chatter is because your problem is totally
off-topic for this list, so we've taken it and ran with it as we
wished.

--

rgds
Stephen

Old 07-21-2010, 03:09 AM
Stephen Harris

On Tue, Jul 20, 2010 at 06:26:15PM -0400, Bob McConnell wrote:
> Stephen Harris wrote:
> > On Tue, Jul 20, 2010 at 03:31:48PM -0400, m.roth@5-cent.us wrote:
> >> This is not a "Dell-specific BIOS hack". Dear child, ask your folks about
> >> PCs. I think it was only this decade that PCs would actually boot
> >
> > This decade being the 2010s? :-)
>
> The calendar is '1' based. 2010 is the last year of the first decade in
> the 21st century.

Someone give this guy a calendar and teach him the difference between
decades and centuries.

--

rgds
Stephen

Old 07-21-2010, 04:02 AM
JohnS

On Tue, 2010-07-20 at 20:08 -0400, Robert Heller wrote:

> > Which makes me wonder why would you ever shut it down in the first
> > place? I sure would not wait a week on a disk replacement much less
> > more than 24 hours.
>
> First of all WD was not going to send us a new disk unless we sent the
> old one in first -- the disks are not in hot swap bays, so I had
> 'remove' the bad disk from the RAID sets and shut down the machine to
> remove it.

Well, they would not even let you pay for it and overnight it to you
then send the old one back for another drive so you could break even? It's
an utmost priority if you have all common hardware to keep replacement disks
on site no matter who you work for or company.

> Second, we had a couple of power failures (yes, we have a UPS, but that
> is only good enough for a graceful shutdown, not for an extended power
> outage).

Those happen no way around it beside generator power and plenty of
backup fuel.

> The machine was only shutdown because we *had* to shut it down.
>
> The server is not a 'critical' server, in the sense that it has to have
> near 100% uptime. It is not public facing server in that sense.

Well, I fired a guy that worked for me for that exact thing. Thing was
he never had to shut it down to swap the disks. In other words I go
nuts if a machine has to shutdown because I'm the one left explaining
why.

John

Old 07-21-2010, 04:40 AM
Drew

> Well, they would not even let you pay for it and overnight it to you
> then send the old one back for another drive so you could break even? *It's
> an utmost priority if you have all common hardware to keep replacement disks
> on site no matter who you work for or company.

Which is why you'll always find spares of the most commonly used
drives & components on the shelf in my tech room at work. SCSI, SATA &
even IDE. All ready to be pulled, "in the event." Master images (w/ 2
spare's pre-imaged) are kept for certain plant PC's where downtime can
run in the tens of thousands of $$$, per day, when we're down.

--
Drew

--Marie Curie

Old 07-22-2010, 09:32 PM
Lamar Owen

On Tuesday, July 20, 2010 08:08:43 pm Robert Heller wrote:
> 'Little' Dell PowerEdge servers with plain (non-RAID) SATA disks
> appearently work that way too (same BIOS stupidity I guess). Once they
> see a disk, they assume it will *always* be there. If you pull the
> disk for some reason (disk failure for example), it complains about a
> missing disk.

I actually consider that a feature, not stupidity. With SATA cables that don't have latches still common, it is all too easy for a cable to fall out (have seen it happen on a Precision 690, and it was a SAS drive not SATA; also have seen it happen with a whitebox with a 3ware 9550 RAID controller, where a SATA cable vibrated loose). I'd rather the box stop booting and then tell me about it than boot anyway. And I like SATA cables with latches.....

I personally would prefer the box to stop and halt boot if the intrusion switch had latched; but only with LOM, DRAC, serial redirect, or IPMI in place to remote console.