-   -   Odd fsck problem (http://www.linux-archive.org/centos/401792-odd-fsck-problem.html)

Whit Blauvelt 07-20-2010 06:18 PM

Odd fsck problem

On Tue, Jul 20, 2010 at 11:10:45AM -0700, Benjamin Franz wrote:

> I've seen e2fsck hang on large arrays (terabyte range) before,
> particularly if you have lots of hard links. It's a bug in fsck.

I've see that too. Glad it's not just on my systems ... sorta.

Whit

07-20-2010 06:54 PM

Odd fsck problem

Kwan Lowe wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 20, 2010 at 1:57 PM, <m.roth@5-cent.us> wrote:
>
>> Note that my manager tried to run one on another server, also attached
>> a JetStore, and it also stopped at the exact same point. This has never
>> happened before, and fsck has handled these in the past.
>>
>> Anyone seen anything like this, and/or have ideas as to what I can do to
>> fsck to at least *tell* me why it was gagging?
>
> Hmm.. my fsck uses 'V' rather than 'dd' for verbose..

Nahh... -d is debug; I tried that,and got nothing, then dd, hoping that
would increase the verbosity of the debugging statements, of which there
were none.

> Maybe try attaching with strace to see if it's still doing anything??

I s'pose I could try it again tomorrow - it takes a while, and I don't
want it running overnight, when it's doing backups. That's a thought.

mark

07-20-2010 06:56 PM

Odd fsck problem

Benjamin Franz wrote:
> On 07/20/2010 10:57 AM, m.roth@5-cent.us wrote:
>> In the last month - definitely after going to 5.5 - I've tried to fsck a
>> drive (340 days, or some such, unchecked). 960G RAID 5, I *think*,
>> possibly serial port attachment to a JetStore RAID array. Every time I
>> try, it gets to 70.0%, and stops. As in, I left it run last night,
>> having
>> started it late afternoon, and around 23:00, it was still exactly there,
>> not even .1% more. On that, I also had a -dd flag, since running it the
>> other day with a -d gave me nothing at all of debugging info; neither
>> did the dd.
>>
> I've seen e2fsck hang on large arrays (terabyte range) before,
> particularly if you have lots of hard links. It's a bug in fsck.
>
> http://www.redhat.com/archives/ext3-users/2007-March/msg00016.html

ARGH! We're doing rsync backups on it, and use a *lot* of hard links....
Wonnaful, wonnaful.

mark