Old 07-20-2010, 05:57 PM

Default Odd fsck problem

In the last month - definitely after going to 5.5 - I've tried to fsck a
drive (340 days, or some such, unchecked). 960G RAID 5, I *think*,
possibly serial port attachment to a JetStore RAID array. Every time I
try, it gets to 70.0%, and stops. As in, I left it run last night, having
started it late afternoon, and around 23:00, it was still exactly there,
not even .1% more. On that, I also had a -dd flag, since running it the
other day with a -d gave me nothing at all of debugging info; neither did
the dd.

Note that my manager tried to run one on another server, also attached to
a JetStore, and it also stopped at the exact same point. This has never
happened before, and fsck has handled these in the past.

Anyone seen anything like this, and/or have ideas as to what I can do to
fsck to at least *tell* me why it was gagging?

mark

Old 07-20-2010, 06:00 PM
Kwan Lowe

On Tue, Jul 20, 2010 at 1:57 PM, <m.roth@5-cent.us> wrote:

> Note that my manager tried to run one on another server, also attached to
> a JetStore, and it also stopped at the exact same point. This has never
> happened before, and fsck has handled these in the past.
>
> Anyone seen anything like this, and/or have ideas as to what I can do to
> fsck to at least *tell* me why it was gagging?

Hmm.. my fsck uses 'V' rather than 'dd' for verbose..

Maybe try attaching with strace to see if it's still doing anything??

Old 07-20-2010, 06:10 PM
Benjamin Franz

On 07/20/2010 10:57 AM, m.roth@5-cent.us wrote:
> In the last month - definitely after going to 5.5 - I've tried to fsck a
> drive (340 days, or some such, unchecked). 960G RAID 5, I *think*,
> possibly serial port attachment to a JetStore RAID array. Every time I
> try, it gets to 70.0%, and stops. As in, I left it run last night, having
> started it late afternoon, and around 23:00, it was still exactly there,
> not even .1% more. On that, I also had a -dd flag, since running it the
> other day with a -d gave me nothing at all of debugging info; neither did
> the dd.

I've seen e2fsck hang on large arrays (terabyte range) before,
particularly if you have lots of hard links. It's a bug in fsck.

http://www.redhat.com/archives/ext3-users/2007-March/msg00016.html

--
Benjamin Franz