Old 11-23-2011, 11:15 AM
Marcus Moeller

Default FreeType Bytecode Interpreter

Hi all.

As the patents for the Bytecode interpreter has been expired [1], I
wonder if we could build freetype '--with bytecode_interpreter' set.

Greets
Marcus

[1] http://www.freetype.org/patents.html

Old 11-23-2011, 11:47 AM
Johnny Hughes

Old 11-23-2011, 02:48 PM
Ned Slider

On 23/11/11 12:47, Johnny Hughes wrote:
> On 11/23/2011 06:15 AM, Marcus Moeller wrote:
>> Hi all.
>>
>> As the patents for the Bytecode interpreter has been expired [1], I
>> wonder if we could build freetype '--with bytecode_interpreter' set.
>>
>> Greets
>> Marcus
>>
>> [1] http://www.freetype.org/patents.html
>
> Only if they build it that way in RHEL.

Wouldn't this be a candidate for the centosplus repo?

You build other packages with options different to upstream in
centosplus (e.g, postfix with mysql support enabled)?

Old 11-23-2011, 03:16 PM
Phil Schaffner

Old 11-23-2011, 03:35 PM
Johnny Hughes

On 11/23/2011 09:48 AM, Ned Slider wrote:
> On 23/11/11 12:47, Johnny Hughes wrote:
>> On 11/23/2011 06:15 AM, Marcus Moeller wrote:
>>> Hi all.
>>>
>>> As the patents for the Bytecode interpreter has been expired [1], I
>>> wonder if we could build freetype '--with bytecode_interpreter' set.
>>>
>>> Greets
>>> Marcus
>>>
>>> [1] http://www.freetype.org/patents.html
>>
>> Only if they build it that way in RHEL.
>>

> Wouldn't this be a candidate for the centosplus repo?
>
> You build other packages with options different to upstream in
> centosplus (e.g, postfix with mysql support enabled)?

We could do that if there is a need.

Putting this in the upstream bugzilla might get it turned on for the
main distro.

Old 11-23-2011, 04:04 PM
Manuel Wolfshant

On 11/23/2011 06:35 PM, Johnny Hughes wrote:
> On 11/23/2011 09:48 AM, Ned Slider wrote:

>>> Only if they build it that way in RHEL.
>>>
>> Wouldn't this be a candidate for the centosplus repo?
>>
>> You build other packages with options different to upstream in
>> centosplus (e.g, postfix with mysql support enabled)?
> We could do that if there is a need.
>
> Putting this in the upstream bugzilla might get it turned on for the
> main distro.
Until then it's a perfect candidate for centosplus.

Old 11-23-2011, 04:37 PM
Marcus Moeller

Hi all.

>>> Wouldn't this be a candidate for the centosplus repo?
>>>
>>> You build other packages with options different to upstream in
>>> centosplus (e.g, postfix with mysql support enabled)?
>> We could do that if there is a need.
>>
>> Putting this in the upstream bugzilla might get it turned on for the
>> main distro.

Ok, I am going to check if RHEL ships with Bytecode Interpreter already
active. If not, I am going to create an upstream BZ.

> Until then it's a perfect candidate for centosplus.

So centosplus may contain packages that are already in base? How is made
sure that these are taken? By higher Release Tags or just by
includes/excludes?

Greets
Marcus

Old 11-23-2011, 04:49 PM
Johnny Hughes

On 11/23/2011 11:37 AM, Marcus Moeller wrote:
> Hi all.

>>> We could do that if there is a need.
>>>
>>> Putting this in the upstream bugzilla might get it turned on for the
>>> main distro.
>
> Ok, I am going to check if RHEL ships with Bytecode Interpreter already
> active. If not, I am going to create an upstream BZ.
>
>> Until then it's a perfect candidate for centosplus.
>
> So centosplus may contain packages that are already in base? How is made
> sure that these are taken? By higher Release Tags or just by
> includes/excludes?
We will add the .centos.plus "dist" tag, which will make it a higher
than the other one for the same Name-Version-Release-Dist in the main repo.

Old 11-23-2011, 04:53 PM
Manuel Wolfshant

On 11/23/2011 07:37 PM, Marcus Moeller wrote:
> Hi all.

>>> We could do that if there is a need.
>>>
>>> Putting this in the upstream bugzilla might get it turned on for the
>>> main distro.
> Ok, I am going to check if RHEL ships with Bytecode Interpreter already
> active. If not, I am going to create an upstream BZ.
>
>> Until then it's a perfect candidate for centosplus.
> So centosplus may contain packages that are already in base?

Indeed.

> How is made sure that these are taken? By higher Release Tags or just by
> includes/excludes?
by default centosplus is disabled. users must make sure that they
include what's needed and exclude what is not. see
http://wiki.centos.org/AdditionalResources/Repositories/CentOSPlus . In
particular, ".centos" is also added to the release.

In my case, for instance:
[base]
name=CentOS-$releasever - Base
mirrorlist=http://mirrorlist.centos.org/?release=$releasever&arch=$basearch&repo=os
#baseurl=http://ftp.iasi.roedu.net/mirrors/centos.org/$releasever/os/$basearch/
gpgcheck=1
gpgkey=http://mirror.centos.org/centos/RPM-GPG-KEY-CentOS-5
exclude=postfix

#released updates
[updates]
name=CentOS-$releasever - Updates
mirrorlist=http://mirrorlist.centos.org/?release=$releasever&arch=$basearch&repo=updates
#baseurl=http://ftp.iasi.roedu.net/mirrors/centos.org/$releasever/updates/$basearch/
#baseurl=http://mirror.centos.org/centos/$releasever/updates/$basearch/
gpgcheck=1
gpgkey=http://mirror.centos.org/centos/RPM-GPG-KEY-CentOS-5
exclude=postfix

In this particular case , I have my own postfix ( mysql enabled, no
pgsql) that I want to protect, but the idea is the same. In the initial
days I used to use postfix-centos.mysql_pgsql.i386.rpm but I decided
that the postgresql stack was useless for my use case and got rid of it.

Old 11-24-2011, 12:41 AM
Karanbir Singh

On 11/23/2011 04:16 PM, Phil Schaffner wrote:
>>> As the patents for the Bytecode interpreter has been expired [1], I
>>> wonder if we could build freetype '--with bytecode_interpreter' set.
> How about a RFE for centosplus?

Even better, open an issue report - and offer to maintain the package in
centosplus !

- KB