Old 07-20-2010, 03:13 AM
Wahyu Darmawan

Default RDAC for IBM DS4700

Hi all,

*

I have problem with my servers. I use two of HP Blade
Servers and RHEL 4.6 installed on them, and have IBM DS4700 connected to them.

In those servers are running RHCS (Red Hat Cluster Suite)
with GFS for handling Oracle Database.

Yesterday, I had missing one partition from the storage,
suddenly. I called IBM and they suggested to use RDAC.

The question is, Why should use IBM RDAC for multipath on RHEL 4, and why HP Blade + HP EVA Storage don't use any addition plugins
software to keep server + storage connection?

I appreciate for some reasons by all of you.

Thank you.

*

Regards,

Wahyu

Old 07-20-2010, 03:20 AM
Jim Perrin

On Mon, Jul 19, 2010 at 11:13 PM, Wahyu Darmawan
<wahyu.darmawan@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>

> I have problem with my servers. I use two of HP Blade Servers and RHEL 4.6
> installed on them, and have IBM DS4700 connected to them.
>
> In those servers are running RHCS (Red Hat Cluster Suite) with GFS for
> handling Oracle Database.
>
> Yesterday, I had missing one partition from the storage, suddenly. I called
> IBM and they suggested to use RDAC.

They suggest this because it's what they're familiar with and what
they support.

> The question is, Why should use IBM RDAC for multipath on RHEL 4, and why HP
> Blade + HP EVA Storage don't use any addition plugins software to keep
> server + storage connection?

I'm not sure if the dm-multipath in centos4 is recent enough, but in
centos5 you don't need to use the rdac stuff at all. You can simply
configure the ds4700 using the rhel device-mapper-multipath package
and a couple modifications in the file for wwid and other bits. You
might check into see if this is the case for centos4 as well. We have
a DS4700 as well though with IBM blades, and the mpp (rdac) drivers
are a royal PITA when it comes to updating the kernel. I would look to
see if this blog post helps you ->
http://www.bofh-hunter.com/2009/09/02/dm-multipath-and-the-ds4700/

George Orwell