Old 07-19-2010, 05:00 PM
"James B. Byrne"

Default Problem with yum

I am experiencing a problem with yum on one of my CentOS-5.5
systems. Specifically, on Friday past (July 16), I ran yum update
as root. Yum displayed all of the outdated packages and asked if I
wanted to proceed. An answered yes. This first package downloaded
was nss. At this point yum simply stopped processing or responding.
A ctrl-c at the yum session terminal window did not interrupt the
task. Top did not display any yum processes.

I killed that particular process to regain the console session, but
I had to use -9 because nothing else worked. Yum continues to
behave in this strange manner. Any invocation of yum with any
option just stops responding.

Before I manually remove yum and reinstall it using rpm could anyone
provide a clue as to what might be happening here and how it might
be cured. I found this one entry from yum in the log files:

/var/log/messages.1:Jul 16 00:14:43 gway01 kernel: Out of memory:
Killed process 1380, UID 0, (yum-updatesd-he).

However, this entry occurred some time before I attempted my update
task later that same morning.

I would like to be directly copied on any replies as I am a digest
subscriber.

Sincerely,

--
*** E-Mail is NOT a SECURE channel ***
9 Brockley Drive vox: +1 905 561 1241

Old 07-19-2010, 07:18 PM
Bowie Bailey

On 7/19/2010 1:00 PM, James B. Byrne wrote:
> I am experiencing a problem with yum on one of my CentOS-5.5
> systems. Specifically, on Friday past (July 16), I ran yum update
> as root. Yum displayed all of the outdated packages and asked if I
> wanted to proceed. An answered yes. This first package downloaded
> was nss. At this point yum simply stopped processing or responding.
> A ctrl-c at the yum session terminal window did not interrupt the
> task. Top did not display any yum processes.
>
> I killed that particular process to regain the console session, but
> I had to use -9 because nothing else worked. Yum continues to
> behave in this strange manner. Any invocation of yum with any
> option just stops responding.
>
> Before I manually remove yum and reinstall it using rpm could anyone
> provide a clue as to what might be happening here and how it might
> be cured. I found this one entry from yum in the log files:
>
> /var/log/messages.1:Jul 16 00:14:43 gway01 kernel: Out of memory:
> Killed process 1380, UID 0, (yum-updatesd-he).
>
> However, this entry occurred some time before I attempted my update
> task later that same morning.
>
> I would like to be directly copied on any replies as I am a digest
> subscriber.

My first attempt would be to do a "yum clean all" and then try it again.

--
Bowie

Old 07-19-2010, 08:00 PM
James Hogarth

With the kernel logging an out of memory error? My first instinct would be to check free to see the status of RAM and swap and perhaps end unnecessary processes..

James

Sent from Android mobile

Old 07-19-2010, 08:17 PM
Bowie Bailey

wrote:
> On 7/19/2010 1:00 PM, James B. Byrne wrote:

>> I am experiencing a problem with yum on one of my
CentOS-5.5

>> systems. Specifically, on Friday past (July 16), I ran
yum update

>> as root. Yum displayed all of the outdated packages and
asked if I

>> wanted to proceed. An answered yes. This first package
downloaded

>> was nss. At this point yum simply stopped processing or
responding.

>> A ctrl-c at the yum session terminal window did not
interrupt the

>> task. Top did not display any yum processes.

>> I killed that particular process to regain the console
session, but

>> I had to use -9 because nothing else worked. Yum
continues to

>> behave in this strange manner. Any invocation of yum
with any

>> option just stops responding.

>> Before I manually remove yum and reinstall it using rpm
could anyone

>> provide a clue as to what might be happening here and
how it might

>> be cured. I found this one entry from yum in the log
files:

>> /var/log/messages.1:Jul 16 00:14:43 gway01 kernel: Out
of memory:

>> Killed process 1380, UID 0, (yum-updatesd-he).

>> However, this entry occurred some time before I
attempted my update

>> task later that same morning.

>> I would like to be directly copied on any replies as I
am a digest

>> subscriber.

> My first attempt would be to do a "yum clean all" and then
try it again.

With the kernel logging an out of memory error? My first
instinct would be to check free to see the status of RAM and
swap and perhaps end unnecessary processes..

Ahh...* I must have missed that.

So if memory is the problem, then check your RAM as James
suggested.* Run 'free' and see how much free memory you have.

On the other hand, it's still a good idea to clean out yum's
databases from time to time.

--

Bowie