Old 07-15-2010, 04:19 PM
Whit Blauvelt

Default DomU install failure for Centos 5.5 using the "RHEL 5.4 and greater" OS option

In using virt-install, and then virt-viewer to create a CentOS 5.5 x64 guest
(in my case for KVM), using the text mode for the install, it failed on me
in a similar way just if I added extra package groups - just stalled. It
went forward successfully if I just went with the standard default at that
point, and waited until post-install to yum other components into the guest.

Whit

Old 07-15-2010, 04:38 PM
"David Dyer-Bennet"

On Thu, July 15, 2010 11:19, Whit Blauvelt wrote:
> In using virt-install, and then virt-viewer to create a CentOS 5.5 x64
> guest
> (in my case for KVM), using the text mode for the install, it failed on me
> in a similar way just if I added extra package groups - just stalled. It
> went forward successfully if I just went with the standard default at that
> point, and waited until post-install to yum other components into the
> guest.

That may be the relevant variable in my case as well; I'll watch more
carefully. I did get a >5.5 OS install to work, and I may have selected
only the "server" group instead of that and the "server gui" group.

I'm mostly happy using text configs, except I keep running into cases
where the manuals or helpful people on the net assume I'm using the GUI,
so I've gotten in the habit of installing it when I get a choice.

--
David Dyer-Bennet, dd-b@dd-b.net; http://dd-b.net/
Dragaera: http://dragaera.info

Old 07-15-2010, 05:04 PM

Whit Blauvelt wrote:
> In using virt-install, and then virt-viewer to create a CentOS 5.5 x64
> guest
> (in my case for KVM), using the text mode for the install, it failed on me
> in a similar way just if I added extra package groups - just stalled. It
> went forward successfully if I just went with the standard default at that
> point, and waited until post-install to yum other components into the
> guest.

Ok, that works. *shrug* You should see the loong list of stuff I have to
do when I build a new system, including a lot of additional packages, and
editing (such as for nfs mounting of home directories, and mail....)

mark