Old 07-15-2010, 03:42 PM
Stephen Harris

Default Follow Up - Centos / Red Hat EL Broken 5.4 + 5.5, ** Alternative solution **

On Thu, Jul 15, 2010 at 09:25:55AM -0600, Seth Bardash wrote:

> Officially, Red Hat does not support rebuilds of its kernel with
> configurations other than the one Red Hat ships.

In other news; water is wet, flames are hot, night follows day.

But back to our lead story where RedHat only supports their approved
configurations

> This answer brings to light some very serious limitations. First, if you
> want to turn on a standard kernel feature and its broken (like what I
> tried), it is not officially supported by Red Hat nor Centos.

> Therefore, xfs, ntfs, and many other features quite a few of us use may
> be broken at any time when the upstream provider "fixes or updates" a
> kernel.

An analyst responds: "Well, duh! If you change configurations from the
vendor approved values and things break then you get to keep the pieces.
The vendor disabled these for a reason; eg unsupportable, unreliable, not
enterprise level stable..."

And that's all from us at News Of The Obvious. Good night!

--

rgds
Stephen