Old 07-15-2010, 01:47 AM
Mark

Default Problems getting my wireles connection to work

I have an Everex laptop (ick, but it was super cheap) that has an
Atheros wireless NIC in it, but I can't seem to get it to connect to
my wireless in-home LAN. Here's what I've done so far (that isn't
working) - any suggestions?

[root@marktop mark]# lspci | grep Ether
00:12.0 Ethernet controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT6102 [Rhine-II] (rev 7c)
05:01.0 Ethernet controller: Atheros Communications Inc. AR2413
802.11bg NIC (rev 01)
[root@marktop mark]# iwconfig wlan0
wlan0 IEEE 802.11bg ESSIDff/any
Mode:Managed Access Point: Not-Associated Tx-Power=0 dBm
RTS thrff Fragment thrff
Encryption keyff
Power Managementff

[root@marktop mark]# iwconfig wlan0 essid hrfamnet-101
[root@marktop mark]# iwconfig wlan0 enc XXXXXXXXXX [not really...]
[root@marktop mark]# iwconfig wlan0
wlan0 IEEE 802.11bg ESSID:"hrfamnet-101"
Mode:Managed Access Point: Not-Associated Tx-Power=0 dBm
RTS thrff Fragment thrff
Encryption key:XXXXXXXXXX
Power Managementff

[root@marktop mark]# ifup wlan0

Determining IP information for wlan0... failed.
[root@marktop mark]# iwlist wlan0 scan
wlan0 Scan completed :
Cell 01 - Address: 00:1C:F0:58:9A:31
Channel:6
Frequency:2.437 GHz (Channel 6)
Quality=47/70 Signal level=-63 dBm
Encryption keyn
ESSID:"hrfamnet-101"
Bit Rates:1 Mb/s; 2 Mb/s; 5.5 Mb/s; 11 Mb/s; 6 Mb/s
12 Mb/s; 24 Mb/s; 36 Mb/s
Bit Rates:9 Mb/s; 18 Mb/s; 48 Mb/s; 54 Mb/s
Mode:Master
Extra:tsf=00000073d81085b2
Extra: Last beacon: 468ms ago
IE: Unknown: 000C687266616D6E65742D313031
IE: Unknown: 010882848B960C183048
IE: Unknown: 030106
IE: Unknown: 2A0102
IE: Unknown: 32041224606C
IE: WPA Version 1
Group Cipher : TKIP
Pairwise Ciphers (2) : TKIP CCMP
Authentication Suites (1) : PSK
IE: Unknown: DD0900037F0101001FFF7F
IE: WPA Version 257
Group Cipher : Proprietary
Pairwise Ciphers (64) :
IE: WPA Version 1
Group Cipher : Proprietary
Pairwise Ciphers (22768) : Cell 02 -
Address: 000:9E:F6:B3:19
Channel:6
Frequency:2.437 GHz (Channel 6)
Quality=39/70 Signal level=-71 dBm
Encryption keyn
ESSID:"2WIRE067"
Bit Rates:1 Mb/s; 2 Mb/s; 5.5 Mb/s; 11 Mb/s; 22 Mb/s
Mode:Master
Extra:tsf=00000002b79d1987
Extra: Last beacon: 554ms ago
IE: Unknown: 00083257495245303637
IE: Unknown: 010582840B162C
IE: Unknown: 030106

[root@marktop mark]#

What step am I missing that will connect me to the listed access point?

I've looked this up in Google, but frankly the mass of information
there is either off point (ubuntu, SuSE, etc.) or Windoze or doesn't
apply to my NIC or something else. I've spent a whole day on this one
and I'm no closer to a/the solution - well, I did get as far as the
above.

Thanks.

Mark

Old 07-15-2010, 02:01 AM
Barry Brimer

> [root@marktop mark]# iwconfig wlan0 essid hrfamnet-101
> [root@marktop mark]# iwconfig wlan0 enc XXXXXXXXXX [not really...]
> [root@marktop mark]# iwconfig wlan0
> wlan0 IEEE 802.11bg ESSID:"hrfamnet-101"
> Mode:Managed Access Point: Not-Associated Tx-Power=0 dBm
> RTS thrff Fragment thrff
> Encryption key:XXXXXXXXXX
> Power Managementff
>
> [root@marktop mark]# ifup wlan0
>
> Determining IP information for wlan0... failed.
> [root@marktop mark]# iwlist wlan0 scan
> wlan0 Scan completed :
> Cell 01 - Address: 00:1C:F0:58:9A:31
> Channel:6
> Frequency:2.437 GHz (Channel 6)
> Quality=47/70 Signal level=-63 dBm
> Encryption keyn
> ESSID:"hrfamnet-101"
> Bit Rates:1 Mb/s; 2 Mb/s; 5.5 Mb/s; 11 Mb/s; 6 Mb/s
> 12 Mb/s; 24 Mb/s; 36 Mb/s
> Bit Rates:9 Mb/s; 18 Mb/s; 48 Mb/s; 54 Mb/s
> Mode:Master
> Extra:tsf=00000073d81085b2
> Extra: Last beacon: 468ms ago
> IE: Unknown: 000C687266616D6E65742D313031
> IE: Unknown: 010882848B960C183048
> IE: Unknown: 030106
> IE: Unknown: 2A0102
> IE: Unknown: 32041224606C
> IE: WPA Version 1

I believe you need to use wpa_supplicant to connect to a wpa protected
network .. using ifconfig with enc as you have I believe only works for
WEP, but I could be wrong.

Barry

Old 07-15-2010, 02:06 AM
Akemi Yagi

On Wed, Jul 14, 2010 at 6:47 PM, Mark <mhullrich@gmail.com> wrote:
> I have an Everex laptop (ick, but it was super cheap) that has an
> Atheros wireless NIC in it, but I can't seem to get it to connect to
> my wireless in-home LAN. *Here's what I've done so far (that isn't
> working) - any suggestions?

Have you looked at these CentOS wiki articles?

http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/Laptops/Wireless
http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/Laptops/NetworkManager
http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/Laptops/WpaSupplicant

Akemi

Old 07-15-2010, 02:33 AM
Mark

On Wed, Jul 14, 2010 at 7:06 PM, Akemi Yagi <amyagi@gmail.com> wrote:

> Have you looked at these CentOS wiki articles?
>
> http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/Laptops/Wireless
> http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/Laptops/NetworkManager
> http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/Laptops/WpaSupplicant

That would have been too easy....

Actually, having now read them, there does not seem to be any support
for the Atheros AR2413 NIC, just mostly the Atheros 5k series. Would
madwifi cover this or . . . ?

Thanks again.

Mark

Old 07-15-2010, 04:04 AM
Akemi Yagi

On Wed, Jul 14, 2010 at 7:33 PM, Mark <mhullrich@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 14, 2010 at 7:06 PM, Akemi Yagi <amyagi@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Have you looked at these CentOS wiki articles?
>>
>> http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/Laptops/Wireless
>> http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/Laptops/NetworkManager
>> http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/Laptops/WpaSupplicant
>>

> That would have been too easy....
>
> Actually, having now read them, there does not seem to be any support
> for the Atheros AR2413 NIC, just mostly the Atheros 5k series. *Would
> madwifi cover this or . . . ?

We cannot tell until you check the vendor:device ID pair. It's a one-liner:

for BUSID in $(/sbin/lspci | awk '{ IGNORECASE=1 } /net/ { print $1
}'); do /sbin/lspci -s $BUSID -m; /sbin/lspci -s $BUSID -n; done

Then you can find out if the driver is supported by the kernel.

All the details are in #4 of the ELRepo FAQ at:

http://elrepo.org/tiki/FAQ

Akemi

Old 07-15-2010, 06:42 AM
Mark

On Wed, Jul 14, 2010 at 9:04 PM, Akemi Yagi <amyagi@gmail.com> wrote:

> We cannot tell until you check the vendor:device ID pair. *It's a one-liner:
>
> for BUSID in $(/sbin/lspci | awk '{ IGNORECASE=1 } /net/ { print $1
> }'); do /sbin/lspci -s $BUSID -m; /sbin/lspci -s $BUSID -n; done
>
> Then you can find out if the driver is supported by the kernel.
>
> All the details are in #4 of the ELRepo FAQ at:
>
> http://elrepo.org/tiki/FAQ

Here's what i got - the first one is my vmware network bridge.

$ for BUSID in $(/sbin/lspci | awk '{ IGNORECASE=1 } /net/ { print $1
> }'); do /sbin/lspci -s $BUSID -m; /sbin/lspci -s $BUSID -n; done
00:07.0 "Bridge" "nVidia Corporation" "MCP61 Ethernet" -ra2
"Elitegroup Computer Systems" "Unknown device 2609"
00:07.0 0680: 10de:03ef (rev a2)

The FAQ shows this:

pci 10DE:03EF kmod-forcedeth

This is installed on my desktop (that has no wireless card), but I'll
check the laptop tomorrow.

Thanks - this and the guides on the CentOS page ought to cover it.
I'll come back if I don't get it working....

Mark