Linux Archive

Linux Archive (http://www.linux-archive.org/)
-   CentOS (http://www.linux-archive.org/centos/)
-   -   Xen cpu requirements (http://www.linux-archive.org/centos/399258-xen-cpu-requirements.html)

"David Dyer-Bennet" 07-14-2010 05:32 PM

Xen cpu requirements
 
I'm installing Centos 5.5 on a new Dell R301 server. I wanted to run Xen
and have the full virtualization possibilities (this is our development
support server, so it runs a few real services and is available for
playing with things; putting the "playing with things" functions into
virtual servers would protect the "few real services", and make it easier
to clean up afterwards).

I have enabled virtualization support in the BIOS.

/proc/cpuinfo says I have
model name : Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU X3450 @ 2.67GHz

and

flags : fpu tsc msr pae cx8 apic mtrr cmov pat clflush acpi mmx
fxsr sse sse2 ss ht syscall nx lm constant_tsc ida pni est ssse3 cx16
sse4_1 sse4_2 popcnt lahf_lm

The "vmx" flag doesn't appear to be set.

(I'm working from
<http://www.centos.org/docs/5/html/Virtualization-en-US/ch-op-sys-support.html>,
by the way; I note that document is from 2007 or maybe even 2006, so
perhaps some things aren't fully up-to-date.)

So, does that mean my Xeon-based server doesn't have hardware
virtualization assistance?

--
David Dyer-Bennet, dd-b@dd-b.net; http://dd-b.net/
Snapshots: http://dd-b.net/dd-b/SnapshotAlbum/data/
Photos: http://dd-b.net/photography/gallery/
Dragaera: http://dragaera.info

_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos

Laurent Wandrebeck 07-14-2010 05:47 PM

Xen cpu requirements
 
On Wed, 14 Jul 2010 12:32:12 -0500
"David Dyer-Bennet" <dd-b@dd-b.net> wrote:

> I'm installing Centos 5.5 on a new Dell R301 server. I wanted to run Xen
> and have the full virtualization possibilities (this is our development
> support server, so it runs a few real services and is available for
> playing with things; putting the "playing with things" functions into
> virtual servers would protect the "few real services", and make it easier
> to clean up afterwards).
<snip>
>
> So, does that mean my Xeon-based server doesn't have hardware
> virtualization assistance?
I guess such a new processor has hardware virtualization enabled, but AFAIK you need to run in x86_64 mode, is it the case ?
Laurent
_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos

Dominik Zyla 07-14-2010 05:49 PM

Xen cpu requirements
 
On Wed, Jul 14, 2010 at 12:32:12PM -0500, David Dyer-Bennet wrote:
> I'm installing Centos 5.5 on a new Dell R301 server. I wanted to run Xen
> and have the full virtualization possibilities (this is our development
> support server, so it runs a few real services and is available for
> playing with things; putting the "playing with things" functions into
> virtual servers would protect the "few real services", and make it easier
> to clean up afterwards).
>
> I have enabled virtualization support in the BIOS.
>
> /proc/cpuinfo says I have
> model name : Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU X3450 @ 2.67GHz
>
> and
>
> flags : fpu tsc msr pae cx8 apic mtrr cmov pat clflush acpi mmx
> fxsr sse sse2 ss ht syscall nx lm constant_tsc ida pni est ssse3 cx16
> sse4_1 sse4_2 popcnt lahf_lm
>
> The "vmx" flag doesn't appear to be set.
>
> (I'm working from
> <http://www.centos.org/docs/5/html/Virtualization-en-US/ch-op-sys-support.html>,
> by the way; I note that document is from 2007 or maybe even 2006, so
> perhaps some things aren't fully up-to-date.)
>
> So, does that mean my Xeon-based server doesn't have hardware
> virtualization assistance?

It loks like X3450 has no VMX instructions.

--
Dominik Zyla

_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos

JohnS 07-14-2010 05:50 PM

Xen cpu requirements
 
On Wed, 2010-07-14 at 12:32 -0500, David Dyer-Bennet wrote:
> X3450

Shutdown the machine pull the power cord (s) completly. Let it sit a
while plug her back up and they should show now.

John

_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos

Brian Mathis 07-14-2010 05:55 PM

Xen cpu requirements
 
On Wed, Jul 14, 2010 at 1:49 PM, Dominik Zyla <gavroche@gavroche.pl> wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 14, 2010 at 12:32:12PM -0500, David Dyer-Bennet wrote:
>> I'm installing Centos 5.5 on a new Dell R301 server. *I wanted to run Xen
>> and have the full virtualization possibilities (this is our development
>> support server, so it runs a few real services and is available for
>> playing with things; putting the "playing with things" functions into
>> virtual servers would protect the "few real services", and make it easier
>> to clean up afterwards).
>>
>> I have enabled virtualization support in the BIOS.
>>
>> /proc/cpuinfo says I have
>> model name * * *: Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU * * * * * X3450 *@ 2.67GHz
>>
>> and
>>
>> flags * * * * * : fpu tsc msr pae cx8 apic mtrr cmov pat clflush acpi mmx
>> fxsr sse sse2 ss ht syscall nx lm constant_tsc ida pni est ssse3 cx16
>> sse4_1 sse4_2 popcnt lahf_lm
>>
>> The "vmx" flag doesn't appear to be set.
>>
>> (I'm working from
>> <http://www.centos.org/docs/5/html/Virtualization-en-US/ch-op-sys-support.html>,
>> by the way; I note that document is from 2007 or maybe even 2006, so
>> perhaps some things aren't fully up-to-date.)
>>
>> So, does that mean my Xeon-based server doesn't have hardware
>> virtualization assistance?
>
> It loks like X3450 has no VMX instructions.
>
> --
> Dominik Zyla


You might need to go into the BIOS and enable VT extensions. Many
systems ship with them disabled.
_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos

Kwan Lowe 07-14-2010 06:03 PM

Xen cpu requirements
 
On Wed, Jul 14, 2010 at 1:32 PM, David Dyer-Bennet <dd-b@dd-b.net> wrote:
> I'm installing Centos 5.5 on a new Dell R301 server. *I wanted to run Xen
> and have the full virtualization possibilities (this is our development
> support server, so it runs a few real services and is available for
> playing with things; putting the "playing with things" functions into
> virtual servers would protect the "few real services", and make it easier
> to clean up afterwards).

No solutions to offer, but would be interested in knowing why you
chose Xen instead of KVM.
_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos

Victor Padro 07-14-2010 06:07 PM

Xen cpu requirements
 
On Wed, Jul 14, 2010 at 1:03 PM, Kwan Lowe <kwan.lowe@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 14, 2010 at 1:32 PM, David Dyer-Bennet <dd-b@dd-b.net> wrote:
>> I'm installing Centos 5.5 on a new Dell R301 server. *I wanted to run Xen
>> and have the full virtualization possibilities (this is our development
>> support server, so it runs a few real services and is available for
>> playing with things; putting the "playing with things" functions into
>> virtual servers would protect the "few real services", and make it easier
>> to clean up afterwards).
>
> No solutions to offer, but would be interested in knowing why you
> chose Xen instead of KVM.
> _______________________________________________
> CentOS mailing list
> CentOS@centos.org
> http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
>

I own a Xeon X3430 & X3440 and both have vmx extensions so the X3450,
please recheck your BIOS config.
http://ark.intel.com/Product.aspx?id=42929

--
Linux User #452368
http://twitter.com/vpadro

"Everything that irritates us about others can lead us to an
understanding of ourselves"
_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos

"David Dyer-Bennet" 07-14-2010 06:42 PM

Xen cpu requirements
 
On Wed, July 14, 2010 12:47, Laurent Wandrebeck wrote:
> On Wed, 14 Jul 2010 12:32:12 -0500
> "David Dyer-Bennet" <dd-b@dd-b.net> wrote:
>
>> I'm installing Centos 5.5 on a new Dell R301 server. I wanted to run
>> Xen
>> and have the full virtualization possibilities (this is our development
>> support server, so it runs a few real services and is available for
>> playing with things; putting the "playing with things" functions into
>> virtual servers would protect the "few real services", and make it
>> easier
>> to clean up afterwards).
> <snip>
>>
>> So, does that mean my Xeon-based server doesn't have hardware
>> virtualization assistance?
> I guess such a new processor has hardware virtualization enabled, but
> AFAIK you need to run in x86_64 mode, is it the case ?

Yes, I installed the x64 version of Centos.

--
David Dyer-Bennet, dd-b@dd-b.net; http://dd-b.net/
Snapshots: http://dd-b.net/dd-b/SnapshotAlbum/data/
Photos: http://dd-b.net/photography/gallery/
Dragaera: http://dragaera.info

_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos

"David Dyer-Bennet" 07-14-2010 06:47 PM

Xen cpu requirements
 
On Wed, July 14, 2010 12:55, Brian Mathis wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 14, 2010 at 1:49 PM, Dominik Zyla <gavroche@gavroche.pl>
> wrote:
>> On Wed, Jul 14, 2010 at 12:32:12PM -0500, David Dyer-Bennet wrote:
>>> I'm installing Centos 5.5 on a new Dell R301 server. *I wanted to run
>>> Xen
>>> and have the full virtualization possibilities (this is our development
>>> support server, so it runs a few real services and is available for
>>> playing with things; putting the "playing with things" functions into
>>> virtual servers would protect the "few real services", and make it
>>> easier
>>> to clean up afterwards).
>>>
>>> I have enabled virtualization support in the BIOS.
>>>
>>> /proc/cpuinfo says I have
>>> model name * * *: Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU * * * * * X3450 *@ 2.67GHz
>>>
>>> and
>>>
>>> flags * * * * * : fpu tsc msr pae cx8 apic mtrr cmov pat clflush acpi
>>> mmx
>>> fxsr sse sse2 ss ht syscall nx lm constant_tsc ida pni est ssse3 cx16
>>> sse4_1 sse4_2 popcnt lahf_lm
>>>
>>> The "vmx" flag doesn't appear to be set.
>>>
>>> (I'm working from
>>> <http://www.centos.org/docs/5/html/Virtualization-en-US/ch-op-sys-support.html>,
>>> by the way; I note that document is from 2007 or maybe even 2006, so
>>> perhaps some things aren't fully up-to-date.)
>>>
>>> So, does that mean my Xeon-based server doesn't have hardware
>>> virtualization assistance?

> You might need to go into the BIOS and enable VT extensions. Many
> systems ship with them disabled.

I found one BIOS entry, "Virtualization technology"; it was initially
disabled, but I enabled it before I installed CENTOS, and verified that it
was still enabled later (I reported enabling it in my original message).
I'll check for other suspicious BIOS entries, but more than one for this
would be unusual, wouldn't it?

--
David Dyer-Bennet, dd-b@dd-b.net; http://dd-b.net/
Snapshots: http://dd-b.net/dd-b/SnapshotAlbum/data/
Photos: http://dd-b.net/photography/gallery/
Dragaera: http://dragaera.info

_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos

"David Dyer-Bennet" 07-14-2010 06:48 PM

Xen cpu requirements
 
On Wed, July 14, 2010 13:03, Kwan Lowe wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 14, 2010 at 1:32 PM, David Dyer-Bennet <dd-b@dd-b.net> wrote:
>> I'm installing Centos 5.5 on a new Dell R301 server. *I wanted to run
>> Xen
>> and have the full virtualization possibilities (this is our development
>> support server, so it runs a few real services and is available for
>> playing with things; putting the "playing with things" functions into
>> virtual servers would protect the "few real services", and make it
>> easier
>> to clean up afterwards).
>
> No solutions to offer, but would be interested in knowing why you
> chose Xen instead of KVM.

It's the one I'm familiar with from previous use.

--
David Dyer-Bennet, dd-b@dd-b.net; http://dd-b.net/
Snapshots: http://dd-b.net/dd-b/SnapshotAlbum/data/
Photos: http://dd-b.net/photography/gallery/
Dragaera: http://dragaera.info

_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos


All times are GMT. The time now is 11:20 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.