Old 07-14-2010, 08:08 PM
Paul Heinlein

Default Xen cpu requirements

On Wed, 14 Jul 2010, David Dyer-Bennet wrote:

> The flags from /proc/cpuinfo after this reboot where I checked the
> virtualization setting in the bios are:
>
> flags : fpu tsc msr pae cx8 apic mtrr cmov pat clflush acpi mmx
> fxsr sse sse2 ss ht syscall nx lm constant_tsc ida pni est ssse3 cx16
> sse4_1 sse4_2 popcnt lahf_lm

You're already running the Xen kernel and your view of /proc/cpuinfo
is from the dom0, right?

I don't think you can see the vmx (Intel) or svm (AMD) flags from
dom0, but the underlying hypervisor should be able to see it. Try

sudo xm dmesg | grep -i hvm

You should see something like "(XEN) HVM: VMX enabled".

Alternatively, try booting into a non-Xen kernel and taking another
peek at /proc/cpuinfo.

Old 07-14-2010, 08:10 PM
"David Dyer-Bennet"

On Wed, July 14, 2010 14:57, R P Herrold wrote:
> On Wed, 14 Jul 2010, David Dyer-Bennet wrote:
>
>>> That's the entry. But reports are some systems need to be
>>> fully powered off for the entry to be effectively changed -
>>> some BIOSes evidently are flakey about it.
>>
>> Now *there's* something I wouldn't have thought of trying on my own.
>>
>> Okay, I can get physical access to the system, and probably even pull
>> its
>> plugs (I'm not really used to dealing with the complex cabling mess at
>> the
>> back; I'm mostly a software developer with some sysadmin duties for the
>> small number of Linux boxes in this Windows shop).
>
> Another thing a part time sysadmin might not consider is
> applying BIOS updates, if any, for that chassis, and as
> applicable sub-components. Dell is quite good about issuing
> these, while a unit remains in production, and sometimes
> continues to issue them while it remains in support,
> particularly for the PowerEdge series

This is a brand-new R310, received from Dell and installed this week.
Which doesn't mean it's for sure at the latest BIOS level of course.

Looks like I may have to pursue that, because powering it down for 5
minutes by my watch didn't help.

--
David Dyer-Bennet, dd-b@dd-b.net; http://dd-b.net/
Dragaera: http://dragaera.info

Old 07-14-2010, 08:14 PM
"David Dyer-Bennet"

On Wed, July 14, 2010 15:08, Paul Heinlein wrote:
> On Wed, 14 Jul 2010, David Dyer-Bennet wrote:
>
>> The flags from /proc/cpuinfo after this reboot where I checked the
>> virtualization setting in the bios are:
>>
>> flags : fpu tsc msr pae cx8 apic mtrr cmov pat clflush acpi
>> mmx
>> fxsr sse sse2 ss ht syscall nx lm constant_tsc ida pni est ssse3 cx16
>> sse4_1 sse4_2 popcnt lahf_lm
>
> You're already running the Xen kernel and your view of /proc/cpuinfo
> is from the dom0, right?
>
> I don't think you can see the vmx (Intel) or svm (AMD) flags from
> dom0, but the underlying hypervisor should be able to see it. Try
>
> sudo xm dmesg | grep -i hvm
>
> You should see something like "(XEN) HVM: VMX enabled".

BINGO!

Thank you. I had even wondered slightly about whether my view from within
the system might not be the right one for this.

To be precise, I see:

[localddb@prcapp00 ~]$ sudo /usr/sbin/xm dmesg | grep -i hvm
(XEN) HVM: VMX enabled
(XEN) HVM: Hardware Assisted Paging detected and enabled.

Thank you very much!

Old 07-14-2010, 08:17 PM
R P Herrold

On Wed, 14 Jul 2010, David Dyer-Bennet wrote:

>> continues to issue them while it remains in support,
>> particularly for the PowerEdge series
>
> This is a brand-new R310, received from Dell and installed this week.
> Which doesn't mean it's for sure at the latest BIOS level of course.

* chuckle *

The other thing might be to use that device you hold beside
the ear and the mouth, and let the magic voices ask you for
your chassis' Service tag or Express Service Code -- the
voices know all sorts of information about your box, and will
offer you personalized guidance

-- R

Old 07-14-2010, 08:20 PM
"David Dyer-Bennet"

On Wed, July 14, 2010 14:20, Whit Blauvelt wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 14, 2010 at 01:47:00PM -0500, David Dyer-Bennet wrote:
>
>> I found one BIOS entry, "Virtualization technology"; it was initially
>> disabled, but I enabled it before I installed CENTOS, and verified that
>> it
>> was still enabled later (I reported enabling it in my original message).
>> I'll check for other suspicious BIOS entries, but more than one for this
>> would be unusual, wouldn't it?
>
> That's the entry. But reports are some systems need to be fully powered
> off
> for the entry to be effectively changed - some BIOSes evidently are flakey
> about it.

That didn't work either.

And then, elsewhere in this thread, Paul Heinlein pointed out that doing
the test for vmx *from within dom0* wasn't valid. Checking the xm dmesg
output, I find "VMX enabled". (I can't tell if that's been there all
along, or not, at this point.)

So, Win!

Thanks to you and all the others who made suggestions.

Old 07-14-2010, 10:25 PM
JohnS

On Wed, 2010-07-14 at 16:17 -0400, R P Herrold wrote:

> * chuckle *
>
> The other thing might be to use that device you hold beside
> the ear and the mouth, and let the magic voices ask you for
> your chassis' Service tag or Express Service Code -- the
> voices know all sorts of information about your box, and will
> offer you personalized guidance

---
The manual says it supports it. Like I thought it did.
http://support.us.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/peR310/en/HOM/HTML/syssetup.htm#wp1184950

Get your service tag # and do like Russ said.

John

Old 07-15-2010, 07:49 AM
Emmanuel Noobadmin

On 7/15/10, Victor Padro <vpadro@gmail.com> wrote:
> AFAIK, VT-d is only implemented LGA 1156/P55 and 34XX Chipsets:
> http://www.intel.com/products/server/chipsets/3400-3420/3400-3420-overview.htm

AFAIK from the last couple of weeks of looking for suitable parts,
some of the desktop Q series chipsets (Q35, Q45 according to Intel
docs) for i-series CPU have VT-d as well. However, motherboard makers
might not have enabled the function.

Old 07-19-2010, 09:38 AM
Pasi Kärkkäinen

On Wed, Jul 14, 2010 at 02:12:52PM -0500, David Dyer-Bennet wrote:

> On Wed, July 14, 2010 14:09, Brian Mathis wrote:
>
> > Are you checking the stats from inside the dom0 or a domU? What's the
> > output of 'uname -a'?
>
> In dom0; I haven't gone ahead creating domUs yet, until I'm sure I've got
> the dom0 right.
>
> [localddb@prcapp00 ~]$ uname -a
> Linux prcapp00.pinerivercapital.local 2.6.18-194.8.1.el5.centos.plusxen #1
> SMP Wed Jul 7 12:25:41 EDT 2010 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
>
> I ran a yum update after installing from the DVDs I had from a week or two
> ago, and have rebooted since that update (there wasn't a new kernel in the
> update).

Please run "xm info". Do you see "hvm" entries in the caps?
Also please run "xm dmesg" and search for HVM and/or VMX.

Dom0 Linux doesn't see VMX flag because Xen hypervisor (xen.gz) is using it..

-- Pasi

Old 07-19-2010, 06:08 PM
"David Dyer-Bennet"

On Mon, July 19, 2010 04:38, Pasi Kärkkäinen wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 14, 2010 at 02:12:52PM -0500, David Dyer-Bennet wrote:
>>
>> On Wed, July 14, 2010 14:09, Brian Mathis wrote:
>>
>> > Are you checking the stats from inside the dom0 or a domU? What's the
>> > output of 'uname -a'?
>>
>> In dom0; I haven't gone ahead creating domUs yet, until I'm sure I've
>> got
>> the dom0 right.
>>
>> [localddb@prcapp00 ~]$ uname -a
>> Linux prcapp00.pinerivercapital.local 2.6.18-194.8.1.el5.centos.plusxen
>> SMP Wed Jul 7 12:25:41 EDT 2010 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
>>
>> I ran a yum update after installing from the DVDs I had from a week or
>> two
>> ago, and have rebooted since that update (there wasn't a new kernel in
>> the
>> update).
>>

> Please run "xm info". Do you see "hvm" entries in the caps?
> Also please run "xm dmesg" and search for HVM and/or VMX.
>
> Dom0 Linux doesn't see VMX flag because Xen hypervisor (xen.gz) is using
> it..

Yes, thanks (somebody had pointed this out last week, too). There was a
reference to VMX in xm dmesg, which let us convince ourselves that it was
properly configured.