Old 07-14-2010, 07:06 PM
"David Dyer-Bennet"

Default Xen cpu requirements

On Wed, July 14, 2010 13:07, Victor Padro wrote:

> I own a Xeon X3430 & X3440 and both have vmx extensions so the X3450,
> please recheck your BIOS config.
> http://ark.intel.com/Product.aspx?id=42929

The Intel page certainly says the X3450 has vt-x and vt-d.

This system is a Dell Poweredge R310, if that helps anybody realize what's
going on.

Okay, boot has gotten me into the BIOS, let's see...

Under 'processor settings' we've got 64-bit Yes, Logical Processor
Enabled, Virtualization Technology Enabled, Execute Disable Enabled,
Processor 1 Family-Model-Stepping 06-1E-5, and it says again it's an Intel
Xeon X3450 @ 2.67GHz.

I've looked in all the other BIOS categories, nothing vaguely related has
turned up. My past experience with DELL Poweredge (other models) has been
that the BIOS has one setting for virtualization technology, which must
indeed be enabled, but this one now is (and was when I installed the
current Centos installation).

Seeing the Intel confirmation that it's supposed to be there is helpful,
though; it makes it easier to keep poking rather than giving up, since
pretty clearly it's *supposed* to be here.

The flags from /proc/cpuinfo after this reboot where I checked the
virtualization setting in the bios are:

flags : fpu tsc msr pae cx8 apic mtrr cmov pat clflush acpi mmx
fxsr sse sse2 ss ht syscall nx lm constant_tsc ida pni est ssse3 cx16
sse4_1 sse4_2 popcnt lahf_lm

--
David Dyer-Bennet, dd-b@dd-b.net; http://dd-b.net/
Dragaera: http://dragaera.info

Old 07-14-2010, 07:09 PM
Brian Mathis

On Wed, Jul 14, 2010 at 3:06 PM, David Dyer-Bennet <dd-b@dd-b.net> wrote:
> On Wed, July 14, 2010 13:07, Victor Padro wrote:
>
>> I own a Xeon X3430 & X3440 and both have vmx extensions so the X3450,
>> please recheck your BIOS config.
>> http://ark.intel.com/Product.aspx?id=42929
>
> The Intel page certainly says the X3450 has vt-x and vt-d.
>
> This system is a Dell Poweredge R310, if that helps anybody realize what's
> going on.
>
> Okay, boot has gotten me into the BIOS, let's see...
>
> Under 'processor settings' we've got 64-bit Yes, Logical Processor
> Enabled, Virtualization Technology Enabled, Execute Disable Enabled,
> Processor 1 Family-Model-Stepping 06-1E-5, and it says again it's an Intel
> Xeon X3450 @ 2.67GHz.
>
> I've looked in all the other BIOS categories, nothing vaguely related has
> turned up. *My past experience with DELL Poweredge (other models) has been
> that the BIOS has one setting for virtualization technology, which must
> indeed be enabled, but this one now is (and was when I installed the
> current Centos installation).
>
> Seeing the Intel confirmation that it's supposed to be there is helpful,
> though; it makes it easier to keep poking rather than giving up, since
> pretty clearly it's *supposed* to be here.
>
> The flags from /proc/cpuinfo after this reboot where I checked the
> virtualization setting in the bios are:
>
> flags * * * * * : fpu tsc msr pae cx8 apic mtrr cmov pat clflush acpi mmx
> fxsr sse sse2 ss ht syscall nx lm constant_tsc ida pni est ssse3 cx16
> sse4_1 sse4_2 popcnt lahf_lm
>
> David Dyer-Bennet, dd-b@dd-b.net; http://dd-b.net/

Are you checking the stats from inside the dom0 or a domU? What's the
output of 'uname -a'?

Old 07-14-2010, 07:12 PM
"David Dyer-Bennet"

On Wed, July 14, 2010 14:09, Brian Mathis wrote:

> Are you checking the stats from inside the dom0 or a domU? What's the
> output of 'uname -a'?

In dom0; I haven't gone ahead creating domUs yet, until I'm sure I've got
the dom0 right.

[localddb@prcapp00 ~]$ uname -a
Linux prcapp00.pinerivercapital.local 2.6.18-194.8.1.el5.centos.plusxen #1
SMP Wed Jul 7 12:25:41 EDT 2010 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

I ran a yum update after installing from the DVDs I had from a week or two
ago, and have rebooted since that update (there wasn't a new kernel in the
update).

Old 07-14-2010, 07:20 PM
Whit Blauvelt

On Wed, Jul 14, 2010 at 01:47:00PM -0500, David Dyer-Bennet wrote:

> I found one BIOS entry, "Virtualization technology"; it was initially
> disabled, but I enabled it before I installed CENTOS, and verified that it
> was still enabled later (I reported enabling it in my original message).
> I'll check for other suspicious BIOS entries, but more than one for this
> would be unusual, wouldn't it?

That's the entry. But reports are some systems need to be fully powered off
for the entry to be effectively changed - some BIOSes evidently are flakey
about it.

Whit

Old 07-14-2010, 07:20 PM
Victor Padro

On Wed, Jul 14, 2010 at 2:12 PM, David Dyer-Bennet <dd-b@dd-b.net> wrote:

> On Wed, July 14, 2010 14:09, Brian Mathis wrote:
>
>> Are you checking the stats from inside the dom0 or a domU? *What's the
>> output of 'uname -a'?
>
> In dom0; I haven't gone ahead creating domUs yet, until I'm sure I've got
> the dom0 right.
>
> [localddb@prcapp00 ~]$ uname -a
> Linux prcapp00.pinerivercapital.local 2.6.18-194.8.1.el5.centos.plusxen #1
> SMP Wed Jul 7 12:25:41 EDT 2010 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
>
> I ran a yum update after installing from the DVDs I had from a week or two
> ago, and have rebooted since that update (there wasn't a new kernel in the
> update).
>
> --
> David Dyer-Bennet, dd-b@dd-b.net; http://dd-b.net/
> Snapshots: http://dd-b.net/dd-b/SnapshotAlbum/data/
> Photos: http://dd-b.net/photography/gallery/
> Dragaera: http://dragaera.info

Most of the times there are two inputs under the BIOS for
Virtualization, Processor Virtualization and Mainboard Virtualization,
they're not explicit as I stated but perhaps it just states as VT-D or
something that you may overlooked it.

Saludos.

--
Linux User #452368
http://twitter.com/vpadro

"Everything that irritates us about others can lead us to an
understanding of ourselves"

Old 07-14-2010, 07:22 PM
Victor Padro

> That's the entry. But reports are some systems need to be fully powered off
> for the entry to be effectively changed - some BIOSes evidently are flakey
> about it.

+1

Totally agree, forgot that...

Old 07-14-2010, 07:28 PM
Stephen Harris

On Wed, Jul 14, 2010 at 02:20:10PM -0500, Victor Padro wrote:
> they're not explicit as I stated but perhaps it just states as VT-D or
> something that you may overlooked it.

VT-d (Virtualization Technology for Directed I/O) is virtualization
for devices. With this it's possible for a guest OS to have direct
exclusive access to hardware devices (maybe one of the USB controllers,
or a disk controller). This is, really, a layer violation but it can be
a performance gain or allow VMs to access hardware that the hypervisor
can not emulate. My machine, apparently, supports VT-d in the BIOS but
either the chipset (H55) doesn't support it or something else is wrong;
the capability isn't available to the hypervisor.

This isn't needed for CPU virtualization to work.

--

rgds
Stephen

Old 07-14-2010, 07:48 PM
"David Dyer-Bennet"

On Wed, July 14, 2010 14:20, Whit Blauvelt wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 14, 2010 at 01:47:00PM -0500, David Dyer-Bennet wrote:
>
>> I found one BIOS entry, "Virtualization technology"; it was initially
>> disabled, but I enabled it before I installed CENTOS, and verified that
>> it
>> was still enabled later (I reported enabling it in my original message).
>> I'll check for other suspicious BIOS entries, but more than one for this
>> would be unusual, wouldn't it?
>
> That's the entry. But reports are some systems need to be fully powered
> off
> for the entry to be effectively changed - some BIOSes evidently are flakey
> about it.

Now *there's* something I wouldn't have thought of trying on my own.

Okay, I can get physical access to the system, and probably even pull its
plugs (I'm not really used to dealing with the complex cabling mess at the
back; I'm mostly a software developer with some sysadmin duties for the
small number of Linux boxes in this Windows shop).

Old 07-14-2010, 07:49 PM
Victor Padro

On Wed, Jul 14, 2010 at 2:28 PM, Stephen Harris <lists@spuddy.org> wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 14, 2010 at 02:20:10PM -0500, Victor Padro wrote:
>> they're not explicit as I stated but perhaps it just states as VT-D or
>> something that you may overlooked it.
>
> VT-d (Virtualization Technology for Directed I/O) is virtualization
> for devices. *With this it's possible for a guest OS to have direct
> exclusive access to hardware devices (maybe one of the USB controllers,
> or a disk controller). *This is, really, a layer violation but it can be
> a performance gain or allow VMs to access hardware that the hypervisor
> can not emulate. *My machine, apparently, supports VT-d in the BIOS but
> either the chipset (H55) doesn't support it or something else is wrong;
> the capability isn't available to the hypervisor.
>
> This isn't needed for CPU virtualization to work.
>
> --
>
> rgds
> Stephen

Yes I know, but the idea is to look a little bit more in such entries, isn't?

AFAIK, VT-d is only implemented LGA 1156/P55 and 34XX Chipsets:
http://www.intel.com/products/server/chipsets/3400-3420/3400-3420-overview.htm

Old 07-14-2010, 07:57 PM
R P Herrold

On Wed, 14 Jul 2010, David Dyer-Bennet wrote:

>> That's the entry. But reports are some systems need to be
>> fully powered off for the entry to be effectively changed -
>> some BIOSes evidently are flakey about it.
>
> Now *there's* something I wouldn't have thought of trying on my own.
>
> Okay, I can get physical access to the system, and probably even pull its
> plugs (I'm not really used to dealing with the complex cabling mess at the
> back; I'm mostly a software developer with some sysadmin duties for the
> small number of Linux boxes in this Windows shop).

Another thing a part time sysadmin might not consider is
applying BIOS updates, if any, for that chassis, and as
applicable sub-components. Dell is quite good about issuing
these, while a unit remains in production, and sometimes
continues to issue them while it remains in support,
particularly for the PowerEdge series

I get strange looks from my techs when I insist they do this
when strange hardware problems are being manifested. All I
can say is: 'but this may work' It worked last week
with a Tyan motherboard dom0 that was throwing random ram
errors

-- Russ herrold