Old 07-14-2010, 12:51 AM
William Warren

Default Linux Kernel Physical Interface Limit

I think it's baloney mainly because i can't find a mention of it
anywhere. Is there REALLY a limit on the number of physical network
interfaces in the Kernel?

Old 07-14-2010, 12:58 AM
Eero Volotinen

2010/7/14 William Warren <hescominsoon@emmanuelcomputerconsulting.com>:
> *I think it's baloney mainly because i can't find a mention of it
> anywhere. *Is there REALLY a limit on the number of physical network
> interfaces in the Kernel?

can you really create hardware with huge number or real ethernet controllers?

--
Eero

Old 07-14-2010, 01:11 AM
Ross Walker

On Jul 13, 2010, at 8:58 PM, Eero Volotinen <eero.volotinen@iki.fi> wrote:

> 2010/7/14 William Warren <hescominsoon@emmanuelcomputerconsulting.com>:
>> I think it's baloney mainly because i can't find a mention of it
>> anywhere. Is there REALLY a limit on the number of physical network
>> interfaces in the Kernel?
>
> can you really create hardware with huge number or real ethernet controllers?

With tagged VLANs, bridges and virtual switches, is there a need for that many physical interfaces?

-Ross

Old 07-14-2010, 03:28 AM
William Warren

Old 07-14-2010, 05:16 AM
Emmanuel Noobadmin

On 7/14/10, William Warren <hescominsoon@emmanuelcomputerconsulting.com> wrote:
> ok let me specify. Is there any real limit? I've seen some folks(and
> been told by a few) that you can't more than 10 physical interfaces in a
> linux system.

Googling up a really old 2005 newsgroup thread says some people had 24
physical NIC (6x 4quad) in a system before and one person vaguely
remembers a hard 256 limit which would make sense if physical
interface count is a byte value.

Old 07-14-2010, 02:30 PM
"Brunner, Brian T."

13x4 = 52 ether chips is possible with COTS hardware.

Old 07-14-2010, 02:35 PM
Tim Nelson

> > > *I think it's baloney mainly because i can't find a mention of it
>
> > > anywhere. *Is there REALLY a limit on the number of
> > physical network
> > > interfaces in the Kernel?
> >
> > can you really create hardware with huge number or real
> > ethernet controllers?
>
> 13x4 = 52 ether chips is possible with COTS hardware.

Is there some sort of reference for this information? Where does '13x4' come from?

--Tim

Old 07-14-2010, 02:48 PM
William Warren

Old 07-14-2010, 02:51 PM
Tim Nelson

> > > *I think it's baloney mainly because i can't find a mention of it
>
> > > anywhere. *Is there REALLY a limit on the number of
> > physical network
> > > interfaces in the Kernel?
> >
> > can you really create hardware with huge number or real
> > ethernet controllers?
>
> 13x4 = 52 ether chips is possible with COTS hardware.

Even if the limit were lower, such as 10 physical interfaces as mentioned before, I have to imagine that the host system would have issues dealing with the number of interrupts needed to *PROPERLY* service all of those interfaces in addition to the other system hardware. They may all work, but your performance may be horrible. In that case, I would think one or two 10Gbe interfaces to a nice switch and the necessary VLANs would perform nicely.

Just my $0.02 USD.

--Tim

Old 07-14-2010, 02:53 PM
"Brunner, Brian T."

Start with a 4 port PCI ethercard
http://www.cyberresearch.com/store/industrial-computers-rugged-pcs/industrial-computer-accessories-pc-peripherals/bus-adapters-expansion-chassis/bus-adapters-expansion-chassis-pci/PRO_3212_8873.2.htm

Expand a PCIex1 slot into several PCI slots, claiming 13 PCI slots possible. I haven't tried to assure this is the max possible.
http://www.cyberresearch.com/store/industrial-computers-rugged-pcs/industrial-computer-accessories-pc-peripherals/bus-adapters-expansion-chassis/bus-adapters-expansion-chassis-pci/PRO_3212_8873.2.htm

10 PCI slots and a PCIEx16 makes(?) 14 slots
http://www.cyberresearch.com/store/industrial-computers-rugged-pcs/industrial-computer-accessories-pc-peripherals/bus-adapters-expansion-chassis/bus-adapters-expansion-chassis-pci/PRO_3212_8873.2.htm

so 13 or 14 X 4 makes 52 or 56 etherchips on one system with COTS.

7 PCIeX16 slots (http://www.evga.com/articles/00501/) @PCIE->4PCI = 28 PCI slots; @x4 chips/slot is 112 (+2 on the mobo) is 1114 interfaces.

Useful? Not my call. Silly enough that somebody will try? Probably.