Old 07-13-2010, 03:14 AM
robert mena

Default Setting apache's maxclients higher than 256 in CentOS

Hi,
I could not find any reference if the version of apache compiled for centos 5.x has support for more than 256 clients in apache's maxclients.
If that is not the case how can I recompile the package with such support?

Regards.

Old 07-13-2010, 04:08 AM
Kahlil Hodgson

On 13/07/10 13:14, robert mena wrote:
> I could not find any reference if the version of apache compiled for centos
> 5.x has support for more than 256 clients in apache's maxclients.

I think 256 is the _default_ not the maximum.

>From the Apache httpd 2.2 docs

<snip>
For non-threaded servers (i.e., prefork), MaxClients translates into the
maximum number of child processes that will be launched to serve
requests. The default value is 256; to increase it, you must also raise
ServerLimit.
</snip>

The Centos httpd does not seem to be compiled with anything that would
restrict that. Others may know better ....

<snip>
[root@test ~]# cat /etc/redhat-release
CentOS release 5.5 (Final)
[root@test ~]#
[root@test ~]# httpd -V
Server version: Apache/2.2.3
Server built: Apr 4 2010 17:18:37
Server's Module Magic Number: 20051115:3
Server loaded: APR 1.2.7, APR-Util 1.2.7
Compiled using: APR 1.2.7, APR-Util 1.2.7
Architecture: 64-bit
Server MPM: Prefork
threaded: no
forked: yes (variable process count)
Server compiled with....
-D APACHE_MPM_DIR="server/mpm/prefork"
-D APR_HAS_SENDFILE
-D APR_HAS_MMAP
-D APR_HAVE_IPV6 (IPv4-mapped addresses enabled)
-D APR_USE_SYSVSEM_SERIALIZE
-D APR_USE_PTHREAD_SERIALIZE
-D SINGLE_LISTEN_UNSERIALIZED_ACCEPT
-D APR_HAS_OTHER_CHILD
-D AP_HAVE_RELIABLE_PIPED_LOGS
-D DYNAMIC_MODULE_LIMIT=128
-D HTTPD_ROOT="/etc/httpd"
-D SUEXEC_BIN="/usr/sbin/suexec"
-D DEFAULT_PIDLOG="run/httpd.pid"
-D DEFAULT_SCOREBOARD="logs/apache_runtime_status"
-D DEFAULT_LOCKFILE="logs/accept.lock"
-D DEFAULT_ERRORLOG="logs/error_log"
-D AP_TYPES_CONFIG_FILE="conf/mime.types"
-D SERVER_CONFIG_FILE="conf/httpd.conf"
[root@test ~]#
</snip>

Kal

Old 07-13-2010, 09:04 AM
Lucian

On Tue, Jul 13, 2010 at 4:14 AM, robert mena <robert.mena@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
> I could not find any reference if the version of apache compiled for centos
> 5.x has support for more than 256 clients in apache's maxclients.
> If that is not the case how can I recompile the package with such support?
> Regards.

That is a bad memory from Apache 1.x times, when by default your
serverlimit was hardcoded to 256. There is no such limit in v 2.2 of
Apache in Centos, so make sure you have raised your MaxClients and
ServerLimit in httpd.conf as needed.