FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > CentOS > CentOS

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 07-12-2010, 03:33 PM
Todd Cary
 
Default Samba and file permissions

Rob -



I assume this is where I need to list all users and set the permissions
as specified.* Also, I do not find an entry for "directory mask".



# The following two entries demonstrate how to share a directory so
that two

# users can place files there that will be owned by the specific users.
In this

# setup, the directory should be writable by both users and should have
the

# sticky bit set on it to prevent abuse. Obviously this could be
extended to

# as many users as required.

;[myshare]

;** comment = Mary's and Fred's stuff

;** path = /usr/somewhere/shared

;** valid users = mary fred

;** public = no

;** writable = yes

;** printable = no

;** create mask = 0765



Todd



On 7/12/2010 8:01 AM, Rob Kampen wrote:
Todd
Cary wrote:


A problem that has plagued me for a long time
(finally decided to get some expert help) is setting the owner/group on
directories/files I create with samba.* Here is my situation:




On my Linux/Apache I have a user, smith.* The /home/smith directory is
owned by smith and is part of the group, todd (me) with permissions
775.




This works fine until I create via samba a directory in smith e.g.
/home/smith/test.* The directory is owned by todd and smith cannot
create a file in it.




What have I missed and how do I fix it?




Todd




P.S. My admin expertise is just moderate since my Linux server just
runs and runs without much administration needed.




*
Todd,


You did not provide a copy of your smb.conf


you may want to check


directory mask = 0775


create mask = 0664


in the global section or in the particular [homes] section as you see
fit.


another way is to use the sticky bit under unix file permissions


ie


chmod g+s /home/smith


HTH




_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos




--
Ariste Software
Petaluma, CA 94952

http://www.aristesoftware.com



_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 07-12-2010, 03:39 PM
Mogens Kjaer
 
Default Samba and file permissions

On 07/12/2010 05:33 PM, Todd Cary wrote:
....
> Also, I do not find an entry for "directory mask".

You could add one :-)

Mogens

--
Mogens Kjaer, mk@lemo.dk
http://www.lemo.dk
_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 07-12-2010, 03:44 PM
Bowie Bailey
 
Default Samba and file permissions

On 7/12/2010 11:33 AM, Todd Cary wrote:
> Rob -
>
> I assume this is where I need to list all users and set the
> permissions as specified. Also, I do not find an entry for "directory
> mask".
>
> # The following two entries demonstrate how to share a directory so
> that two
> # users can place files there that will be owned by the specific
> users. In this
> # setup, the directory should be writable by both users and should
> have the
> # sticky bit set on it to prevent abuse. Obviously this could be
> extended to
> # as many users as required.
> ;[myshare]
> ; comment = Mary's and Fred's stuff
> ; path = /usr/somewhere/shared
> ; valid users = mary fred
> ; public = no
> ; writable = yes
> ; printable = no
> ; create mask = 0765

The samples do not list every possible option -- just the common ones.
There is lots of good configuration info in the man page. Here is a web
version:

http://samba.org/samba/docs/man/manpages-3/smb.conf.5.html

--
Bowie
_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 07-12-2010, 03:51 PM
Todd Cary
 
Default Samba and file permissions

Many thanks!

Todd

On 7/12/2010 8:44 AM, Bowie Bailey wrote:
> On 7/12/2010 11:33 AM, Todd Cary wrote:
>
>> Rob -
>>
>> I assume this is where I need to list all users and set the
>> permissions as specified. Also, I do not find an entry for "directory
>> mask".
>>
>> # The following two entries demonstrate how to share a directory so
>> that two
>> # users can place files there that will be owned by the specific
>> users. In this
>> # setup, the directory should be writable by both users and should
>> have the
>> # sticky bit set on it to prevent abuse. Obviously this could be
>> extended to
>> # as many users as required.
>> ;[myshare]
>> ; comment = Mary's and Fred's stuff
>> ; path = /usr/somewhere/shared
>> ; valid users = mary fred
>> ; public = no
>> ; writable = yes
>> ; printable = no
>> ; create mask = 0765
>>
> The samples do not list every possible option -- just the common ones.
> There is lots of good configuration info in the man page. Here is a web
> version:
>
> http://samba.org/samba/docs/man/manpages-3/smb.conf.5.html
>
>

--
Ariste Software
Petaluma, CA 94952

http://www.aristesoftware.com

_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 01:18 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org