Old 07-12-2010, 12:56 PM
James Hogarth

Default "yum update": When is new header data downloaded? (Trying to set up custom repository...)

On 12 July 2010 13:29, Benjamin Franz <jfranz@freerun.com> wrote:
> On 07/12/2010 04:58 AM, Toralf Lund wrote:
>>
>> So, it seems like I managed to correctly update the repodata and all,
>> but originally, yum concluded that it didn't need to download a new
>> version, but could use the one cached earlier. instead.
>>
>> Does anyone have any idea why this happened? How exactly does yum decide
>> when to download new headers and when to reuse cached data?
>>

> You probably want the /etc/yum.conf file. There should be a line in it
> right now that reads 'metadata_expire=1h'.
>
> --
> Benjamin Franz

Rather than deleting that directory as a whole you would probably be
better served by doing a yum clean metadata instead...

Old 07-12-2010, 02:12 PM
Toralf Lund

James Hogarth wrote:
> On 12 July 2010 13:29, Benjamin Franz <jfranz@freerun.com> wrote:
>
>> On 07/12/2010 04:58 AM, Toralf Lund wrote:
>>
>>> So, it seems like I managed to correctly update the repodata and all,
>>> but originally, yum concluded that it didn't need to download a new
>>> version, but could use the one cached earlier. instead.
>>>
>>> Does anyone have any idea why this happened? How exactly does yum decide
>>> when to download new headers and when to reuse cached data?
>>>

>> You probably want the /etc/yum.conf file. There should be a line in it
>> right now that reads 'metadata_expire=1h'.
>>

> Rather than deleting that directory as a whole you would probably be
> better served by doing a yum clean metadata instead...

I suppose so. I though I might try removing only data for the repository
in question rather than clearing the entire cache when testing this,
though...

- Toralf

This e-mail, including any attachments and response string, may contain proprietary information which is confidential and may be legally privileged. It is for the intended recipient only. If you are not the intended recipient or transmission error has misdirected this e-mail, please notify the author by return e-mail and delete this message and any attachment immediately. If you are not the intended recipient you must not use, disclose, distribute, forward, copy, print or rely on this e-mail in any way except as permitted by the author.

Old 07-12-2010, 02:59 PM
James Hogarth

Indeed in my case I usually do something akin to ....

yum --disablerepo="*" --enablerepo="myrepo" clean metadata
yum -y upgrade --disablerepo="*" --enablerepo="myrepo" mypackage

when updating custom rpms (or RPMs in a specific spacewalk channel)
across systems.