Old 06-17-2010, 12:55 PM
Dag Wieers

Default Kernel independent DRBD packages for RHEL, CentOS and Scientific Linux

Hi,

I would like to announce a set of DRBD kABI-tracking kernel module
packages for RHEL5, CentOS-5 and Scientific Linux 5 kernels. These
packages have been introduced into the ELRepo testing repository
(http://elrepo.org/).

You can find these packages at:

http://elrepo.org/linux/testing/el5/

The ELRepo project is a community project providing various additional
kernel modules for Red Hat Enterprise Linux and derivative kernels that
aim to be kernel independent. Next to this set of DRBD 8.3.8 kernel
modules the project provides dozens of kmod RPM packages and hundreds of
kernel modules for a variety of hardware and kernel functionality.

In this case we are looking for DRBD users willing to test these packages
and provide feedback and support in our support channels for future users.
In case there is interest, we can provide drbd 8.0.16 packages on request.

We welcome your feedback on our mailinglist and bug-tracker, respectively
at:

http://elrepo.org/bugs/main_page.php

Kind regards,
--
-- dag wieers, dag@wieers.com, http://dag.wieers.com/ --

Old 06-21-2010, 10:54 AM
"Joseph L. Casale"

>This seems like duplication of effort with the CentOS people, since they
>already package DRBD for CentOS 5.x (and it works very well).

No its not, the CentOS packages are no longer maintained...

Old 06-21-2010, 04:21 PM
Dag Wieers

On Mon, 21 Jun 2010, Ralph Angenendt wrote:

> On Mon, Jun 21, 2010 at 12:54 PM, Joseph L. Casale
> <jcasale@activenetwerx.com> wrote:
>
>>> This seems like duplication of effort with the CentOS people, since they
>>> already package DRBD for CentOS 5.x (and it works very well).
>>
>> No its not, the CentOS packages are no longer maintained...
>
> http://dev.centos.org/testing/ tells me something else (and yes, this
> time they will go into extras).

Well, it was confusing. When we decided to spend the effort to add
kmod-drbd to ELRepo there were a few reasons:

- The lack of updates in the CentOS repository, while a new update is
now in testing, a few have been skipped/delayed in the past.

- The infrastructure, team and workflow of the ELRepo project all
focuses specifically on kernel modules.

- The opinion at FOSDEM of team-members that CentOS was going to go back
to its core-business, and drop additional RPM packages like in CentOS
Extras.

So my personal opinion (and I had to convince other team-members) was that
we should do this despite the fact that it is a duplication of effort and
only if we can provide the same quality as we do with other packages.
(Which is exactly why we asked for feedback on this mailinglist !)

We didn't do this out of the blue either, this was also discussed on the
centos-devel mailinglist (although with less feedback than I had hoped).

Now, it shouldn't really matter to users whether this is a duplication of
effort or not. Users will now have additional choice, if CentOS delays or
skips a release, ELRepo might have it available. Everybody wins.

Once again, I didn't want any controversy, we are just looking for CentOS
people that are willing to test and provide feedback regarding the ELRepo
kmod-drbd packages (preferably on the ELRepo bug-tracker / mailinglist to
not cause even more controversy).

Kind regards,
--
-- dag wieers, dag@wieers.com, http://dag.wieers.com/ --

Old 06-21-2010, 04:48 PM
Les Mikesell

On 6/21/2010 11:21 AM, Dag Wieers wrote:

> Now, it shouldn't really matter to users whether this is a duplication of
> effort or not. Users will now have additional choice, if CentOS delays or
> skips a release, ELRepo might have it available. Everybody wins.

On the other hand, it is likely to cause someone pain whenever
same-named packages or conflicting file content exists in multiple
uncoordinated repositories.

--
Les Mikesell
lesmikesell@gmail.com

Old 06-21-2010, 07:34 PM
Ralph Angenendt

Am 21.06.10 18:21, schrieb Dag Wieers:

> Once again, I didn't want any controversy, we are just looking for CentOS
> people that are willing to test and provide feedback regarding the ELRepo
> kmod-drbd packages (preferably on the ELRepo bug-tracker / mailinglist to
> not cause even more controversy).

I'm not seeing this as a controversy, and I'd probably be happy normally
if someone else took care of those modules, but as we started offering
those modules in extras, we need to offer those as to not interrupt
"user experience". I just wanted to say that I still care about those
modules, but the "publishing experience" hasn't been that great for the
last ones. And yes, that is my fault to a rather large degree.

Cheers,

Ralph

Old 06-21-2010, 07:35 PM
Ralph Angenendt

Am 21.06.10 20:45, schrieb Joseph L. Casale:
>> http://dev.centos.org/testing/ tells me something else (and yes, this
>> time they will go into extras).
>
> Well, we talked about it for some time and I never saw an update to
> the effort someone made (my bad? I must have missed that). Couple
> this with the concerns posted by Dag that motivated him to step in,
> are we to assume this effort is here to stay or on the chopping block
> as per new direction spoke about in Dags email?

I will keep the 8.3.x line updated in extras, as I cannot expect users
to switch repos for packages we began offering. And yes, I was a bit
sloppy with getting those packages into extras.

Regards,

Ralph

Old 06-21-2010, 09:13 PM
Les Mikesell

On 6/21/2010 2:35 PM, Ralph Angenendt wrote:
> Am 21.06.10 20:45, schrieb Joseph L. Casale:
>>> http://dev.centos.org/testing/ tells me something else (and yes, this
>>> time they will go into extras).
>>
>> Well, we talked about it for some time and I never saw an update to
>> the effort someone made (my bad? I must have missed that). Couple
>> this with the concerns posted by Dag that motivated him to step in,
>> are we to assume this effort is here to stay or on the chopping block
>> as per new direction spoke about in Dags email?
>
> I will keep the 8.3.x line updated in extras, as I cannot expect users
> to switch repos for packages we began offering. And yes, I was a bit
> sloppy with getting those packages into extras.

Wouldn't it be even better to offer identical packages with coordinated
updates so as to not have conflicts for people that might have both
repos enabled? Or is there some difference in functionality? I think
I've noticed a few things that were installed from extras update from
epel already

--
Les Mikesell
lesmikesell@gmail.com