Old 05-18-2010, 06:49 PM
Negative

Default problem with bridged network for a kvm guest

I'm having trouble with the bridged network setup.* I'm new to kvm, but I got a window xp sp2 guest set up without trouble a few days ago. I followed the instructions in the RH virtualization guide, and all was fine until I had to reboot the host machine a few days later.*

Then, I lost networking altogether on the host machine. I lost track of all the things I tried, but finally got networking back on the host, but I suspect it's not right.

For one thing, I deleted ifcfg-br0.* Also, I commented out bridge=br0 in ifcfg-eth0. Oddly, ifconfig shows both interfaces, and shows them both set to static ip.*

One of the points I'm confused about is what, if anything, to write for the ip address in ifcfg-eth0.

When I first set it up, I set the bridge interface to dhcp, and kept the host as a static ip on my lan. That made made the host dhcp, but that's no good for me, so I set the ip in ifcfg-br0* to my static ip, and everything worked fine, even though it didn't make sense that both eth0 and br0 had the same ip.

Thanks for any guidance.

Old 05-19-2010, 04:54 AM
Gordon Messmer

On 05/18/2010 11:49 AM, Negative wrote:
> I'm having trouble with the bridged network setup. I'm new to kvm, but
> I got a window xp sp2 guest set up without trouble a few days ago. I
> followed the instructions in the RH virtualization guide, and all was
> fine until I had to reboot the host machine a few days later.

This page, right?
http://www.redhat.com/docs/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/5.5/html/Virtualization_Guide/sect-Virtualization-Network_Configuration-Bridged_networking_with_libvirt.html

> One of the points I'm confused about is what, if anything, to write for
> the ip address in ifcfg-eth0.

Nothing. It should look exactly like the example provided, except for
the HWADDR. eth0 doesn't get an IP, the br0 interface does.