Old 05-15-2010, 07:05 PM
Ron Blizzard

Default Update successful. Thanks.

My desktop updated without a hitch... well, actually, I ran out of
disk space after the download completed, so had to clear some space,
but the update process continued from where I left off without a hitch
-- and that's hardly CentOS's fault. I've still got to update my
laptop, but am a little leery, because I think I've a got a hard drive
failing.

At any rate, thank you *again* for all your hard work. I don't know if
I'm imagining it or not, but overall speed seems to be slightly
"snappier" with the new update.

--
RonB
CentOS 5.5 - Optiplex GX270

Old 05-15-2010, 07:49 PM
E Westphal

Ditto here as well. All 133 packages updated without a problem. When re-booting, got a 'warning' that kdump had to rebuild. Once that completed, everything seems as it was before. Yes, things do seem a little 'snappier' - maybe it's only a delusion brought about by wishful thinking - I like it when it happens though.

Old 05-15-2010, 08:34 PM
Robert

On 05/15/2010 02:49 PM, E Westphal informed us:
> Ditto here as well. All 133 packages updated without a problem. When
> re-booting, got a 'warning' that kdump had to rebuild. Once that
> completed, everything seems as it was before. Yes, things do seem a
> little 'snappier' - maybe it's only a delusion brought about by
> wishful thinking - I like it when it happens though.
I thought I noticed "snappier", too. Only problem I had was that I
stupidly failed to change xorg.conf to not use proprietary driver before
rebooting. They say cross-pollination will fair eat your lunch. :-(
Only disappointment so far is that lm_sensors still doesn't grok the AMD
K-10 thermal sensors - a situation I grumble about even as I file it in
the "beggars can't be choosers" folder.

Thanks Karanbir and whoever else worked on this release!

Old 05-15-2010, 10:05 PM
Ned Slider

Robert wrote:

<snip>

> Only disappointment so far is that lm_sensors still doesn't grok the AMD
> K-10 thermal sensors - a situation I grumble about even as I file it in
> the "beggars can't be choosers" folder.

That's because your kernel does not have a k10temp driver - it was only
introduced into the mainline kernel around 2.6.32. There is a backported
driver in ELRepo:

http://elrepo.org/tiki/kmod-k10temp

yum install kmod-k10temp

Red Hat did do a huge backport refresh of the /hwmon tree in el5.5, but
they pulled from around kernel-2.6.26 which was before k10temp made it
into the mainline kernel.

Hope that helps.

Old 05-15-2010, 10:08 PM
Yves Bellefeuille

On Saturday 15 May 2010 16:34, Robert wrote:

> Only disappointment so far is that lm_sensors still doesn't grok the
> AMD K-10 thermal sensors - a situation I grumble about even as I file
> it in the "beggars can't be choosers" folder.

That's strange, because lM-sensors now detects my AMD Phenom. Did you
install kmod-k10temp?

--
Yves Bellefeuille <yan@storm.ca>
"La Konsulo reprenos siajn funkciojn post trisemajna foresto. La tuta

Old 05-15-2010, 10:09 PM
MHR

On Sat, May 15, 2010 at 12:49 PM, E Westphal <enwestph@rochester.rr.com> wrote:
> Ditto here as well. All 133 packages updated without a problem. When
> re-booting, got a 'warning' that kdump had to rebuild. Once that completed,
> everything seems as it was before. Yes, things do seem a little 'snappier' -
> maybe it's only a delusion brought about by wishful thinking - I like it
> when it happens though.

As I posted earlier, after a few apparent glitches during the package
retrieval process, everything seemed to go well.

I noted that when dkms was installed, it choked on my nvidia driver
and fuse-ntfs-3, but they're both in the weak-updates as links to the
older versions that ran with 2.6.18-164.15.1, and I'm pretty sure the
nvidia driver is running (shows in lsmod).

I just hooked up one of my older laptop Windows disks, and it seems to
work just fine, too, so I think that means all is well.

THANK YOU, CENTOS TEAM!

mhr

Old 05-16-2010, 10:01 AM
Karanbir Singh

On 05/15/2010 08:05 PM, Ron Blizzard wrote:
> My desktop updated without a hitch... well, actually, I ran out of
> disk space after the download completed, so had to clear some space,

yum tries to do some space required estimates before starting the
process, so its clearly got that wrong in your case here. Would you mind
filing a bugreport at bugs.centos.org about this issue ? and also add
details like a 'df -h' and exactly how much yum got things wrong by.

thanks

- KB

Old 05-16-2010, 08:27 PM
Ron Blizzard

On Sun, May 16, 2010 at 5:01 AM, Karanbir Singh <mail-lists@karan.org> wrote:
> On 05/15/2010 08:05 PM, Ron Blizzard wrote:
>> My desktop updated without a hitch... well, actually, I ran out of
>> disk space after the download completed, so had to clear some space,
>
> yum tries to do some space required estimates before starting the
> process, so its clearly got that wrong in your case here. Would you mind
> filing a bugreport at bugs.centos.org about this issue ? and also add
> details like a 'df -h' and exactly how much yum got things wrong by.
>
> thanks

I can give a current 'df -h' but, unfortunately, I didn't write down
any specifics while updating.

Here's what I currently have.

[ronb@localhost ~]$ df -h
/dev/mapper/VolGroup00-LogVol00
35G 30G 3.4G 90% /
/dev/hda1 97M 37M 56M 40% /boot
tmpfs 502M 0 502M 0% /dev/shm

The issue came up *after* I had downloaded all the update files. My
used space was 99%, approximately 230 Megs were shown available at /.
There was no memory available in my tmpfs directory/partition.

I believe yum kicked me out of the update process. There were a lot of
messages without line breaks -- filled up the screen. When I cleared
about 3 Gigs of memory and re-ran 'yum update' it started back up
where I left off and finished the updated without issue..

If you think that I have enough information to file a bug report I'll
go ahead and do that.

Thanks again.

--
RonB -- Using CentOS 5.5

Old 05-16-2010, 11:47 PM
Robert

On 05/15/2010 05:05 PM, Ned Slider informed us:
> Robert wrote:
>

> <snip>
>

>> Only disappointment so far is that lm_sensors still doesn't grok the AMD
>> K-10 thermal sensors - a situation I grumble about even as I file it in
>> the "beggars can't be choosers" folder.
>>

> That's because your kernel does not have a k10temp driver - it was only
> introduced into the mainline kernel around 2.6.32. There is a backported
> driver in ELRepo:
>
> http://elrepo.org/tiki/kmod-k10temp
>
> yum install kmod-k10temp
>
> Red Hat did do a huge backport refresh of the /hwmon tree in el5.5, but
> they pulled from around kernel-2.6.26 which was before k10temp made it
> into the mainline kernel.
>
> Hope that helps.

Indeed! Many thanks.
It hasn't helped yet but it will as soon as I get the yum-priorities
straight. I'm pretty skiddish -- if not downright paranoid -- about
repo mixing and I'm using all due caution before allowing yum to replace
my existing lm_sensors-2.10.7-9.el5.i386 with the pre-requisite
lm_sensors-2.10.8-2.el5.elrepo.i386.rpm.

Thanks again to you and to Yves, who also responded.

Old 05-17-2010, 04:29 PM
John Maclean

Thanks!

ssh jzhome 'cat /etc/issue'