Old 05-12-2010, 03:08 PM

Default your session only lasted less than 10 seconds error

Chaitanya wrote:
> Thank you for your reply Brain
>
> oops i have corrupted the entire system i think .
> but one thing i dont understand is y this has happened all of a sudden
> i choose to reinstall the cent os again..
> i heard that cent os is the stable version with less number of crashes..

It is, very much so. You haven't given us *any* idea as to what you,
personally, did to break the system. You say you halted it - did you mean
to turn the system off? If you'd just intended to restart it, you should
have used the command reboot.

And were you running as root? Do you normally log in as root? If so, STOP
IT, NOW. This is *not* Windows, and you should *never* log in as root,
unless you're doing system maintenance. You should ALWAYS log in as
yourself, or as a user, *not* root. (Yes, I'm repeating myself: pay
attention.)

Btw, try RTFM.

mark

Old 05-12-2010, 03:09 PM
Les Mikesell

On 5/12/2010 9:49 AM, Chaitanya Yanamadala wrote:
> Thank you for your reply Brain
>
> oops i have corrupted the entire system i think .
> but one thing i dont understand is y this has happened all of a sudden
> i choose to reinstall the cent os again..
> i heard that cent os is the stable version with less number of crashes..

CentOS is very stable - if this was a working system you probably have a
hardware disk problem or you've made a mistake running as root and
deleted some system files. Or perhaps you were running 3rd party video
drivers and updated the kernel so it didn't match. In the latter case
you would be able to recover.

If the network was up and only the console had a problem you might have
been able to connect from another machine via ssh and execute 'init 3'
to get a text mode login at the console where you could fix things. Or,
reboot, hit a key to get the grub prompt, select the boot section you
want, hit 'e' to edit, then move to the kernel line, hit 'e' to edit,
add a 3 at the end of the line, then hit 'b' to boot into runlevel 3.

--
Les Mikesell
lesmikesell@gmail.com

Old 05-12-2010, 03:23 PM
Chaitanya Yanamadala

Dear Mark

This is the exact scenario of my machine.
i am running the cent os under my virtual box and i have made a network bridge to that VBOX

so from my machine i connect to the VBOX using the Xshell.

and by the way i am new to linux and this is my test machine so that i do some testing.
this is the F reason i am using the root user.
what ever os is it i dont think logging in as root user will crash the system.

regarding the halt command i used it to check what this command will do and this one i have done from the F manual only.

but now my VBOX machine crashed.

*Chaitanya

Old 05-12-2010, 03:42 PM

Chaitanya,

First, please stop top posting. Email is like a conversation, and
simply makes more sense if you go to the end, just like reading a
conversation. DO delete irrelevant stuff.

>> Chaitanya wrote:
>
> This is the exact scenario of my machine.
> i am running the cent os under my virtual box and i have made a network
> bridge to that VBOX

So, what's the host o/s, Windows?

> so from my machine i connect to the VBOX using the Xshell.

What are you using, putty?

> and by the way i am new to linux and this is my test machine so that i do
> some testing.

So READ UP on Linux/Unix.

> this is the F reason i am using the root user.

DON'T. Either use root only to do maintenance, or just use sudo to do
that. Do *not* test as a root user, except for things only root can do.

> what ever os is it i dont think logging in as root user will crash the
> system.

It won't. However, if you're exposed to the 'Net, you are begging anyone
who finds a way to break in to take over your system. Also, doing things
as root, esp. if you don't know what you're doing, is a wonderful way to
destroy it. Think "format c:/".

> regarding the halt command i used it to check what this command will do
> and this one i have done from the F manual only.

I have no idea what the "F manual" is. From the command line,
prompt> man halt

Linux, unlike Windows, comes with man pages for almost all commands.

> but now my VBOX machine crashed.

CentOS crashed, or the VBOX?
<snip>

mark

Old 05-12-2010, 04:08 PM
Chaitanya Yanamadala

Dear roth
This is wt u have started using of filthy language.
For your kind info when some one starts learning obviously makes mistake.
This is the reaosn i have installed it in vbox
Any way thank you for ur help i reinstalled my machine
It is obviously the cent os which got crashed not the vbox i think u
can get this from the error i have posted

On 5/12/10, m.roth@5-cent.us <m.roth@5-cent.us> wrote:
> Chaitanya,
>
> First, please stop top posting. Email is like a conversation, and
> simply makes more sense if you go to the end, just like reading a
> conversation. DO delete irrelevant stuff.
>
>>> Chaitanya wrote:
>>
>> This is the exact scenario of my machine.
>> i am running the cent os under my virtual box and i have made a network
>> bridge to that VBOX
>
> So, what's the host o/s, Windows?
>>
>> so from my machine i connect to the VBOX using the Xshell.
>
> What are you using, putty?
>
>> and by the way i am new to linux and this is my test machine so that i do
>> some testing.
>
> So READ UP on Linux/Unix.
>
>> this is the F reason i am using the root user.
>
> DON'T. Either use root only to do maintenance, or just use sudo to do
> that. Do *not* test as a root user, except for things only root can do.
>
>> what ever os is it i dont think logging in as root user will crash the
>> system.
>
> It won't. However, if you're exposed to the 'Net, you are begging anyone
> who finds a way to break in to take over your system. Also, doing things
> as root, esp. if you don't know what you're doing, is a wonderful way to
> destroy it. Think "format c:/".
>>
>> regarding the halt command i used it to check what this command will do
>> and this one i have done from the F manual only.
>
> I have no idea what the "F manual" is. From the command line,
> prompt> man halt
>
> Linux, unlike Windows, comes with man pages for almost all commands.
>>
>> but now my VBOX machine crashed.
>
> CentOS crashed, or the VBOX?
> <snip>
>
> mark

Sent from my mobile device

Chaitanya

"A man can get discouraged many times but he is not a failure until he
stops trying..."

"The difference between 'involvement' and 'commitment' is like an
eggs-and-ham breakfast: the chicken was 'involved' - the pig was
'committed'."

http://doiop.com/dr.virus.india

http://www.drvirusindia.co.cc/

http://chaitu09986025424.blog.co.in/

http://9986025424.co.cc -- Live news channels

Old 05-12-2010, 04:09 PM
Chaitanya Yanamadala

Old 05-12-2010, 05:14 PM

> Dear roth
> This is wt u have started using of filthy language.

"Filthy language"? Did you mean putty, which is a free Windows xterm that
everyone uses?

Or did you mean me telling you to read the *ahem* fine manuals?

> For your kind info when some one starts learning obviously makes mistake.
> This is the reaosn i have installed it in vbox
> Any way thank you for ur help i reinstalled my machine
> It is obviously the cent os which got crashed not the vbox i think u
> can get this from the error i have posted

And you have posted *no* error. What was in /var/log/messages? Or what was
on the monitor when it crashed?

mark

Old 05-12-2010, 05:31 PM
Chaitanya Yanamadala

Dude
I dont whether u read the entire thing whch i posted in my first mail
at d botom of the post i gave u d error mesg whch i m geting
Read d post first and i knw wt putty is
I said dt i cannt able to login to my machine anymore and i cant get
any logs as i m unable to log into d machine.
As for the posts i m not the one who started speaking rude.

Old 05-12-2010, 06:41 PM
Kwan Lowe

On Wed, May 12, 2010 at 1:31 PM, Chaitanya Yanamadala
<dr.virus.india@gmail.com> wrote:
> Dude
> I dont whether u read the entire thing whch i posted in my first mail
> at d botom of the post i gave u d error mesg whch i m geting
> Read d post first and i knw wt putty is
> I said dt i cannt able to login to my machine anymore and i cant get
> any logs as i m unable to log into d machine.
> *As for the posts i m not the one who started speaking rude.

Grow a thicker skin. There is nothing on any of the posts that I would
consider rude. These are volunteers on the lists, not paid support for
your organization. If you want support, go purchase a RedHat
subscription and they can help you.

I read and re-read your original message and it's missing lots of details.

Old 05-12-2010, 07:58 PM
John R Pierce

Kwan Lowe wrote:
> I read and re-read your original message and it's missing lots of details.

its missing a lot of vowels, too. darn hard to read when nearly every
word is misspelled.