Old 05-12-2010, 06:08 AM
Jatin Davey

Default Adding Repositories and using yum to download packages

Hi

I am using CentOS 5.3 and after installing the OS i scrolled to the
/etc/yum.repos.d directory and i could not find any repositories being
present there. So i googled a bit on adding the repositories and found
the link:

http://www.osresources.com/index.php?action=artikel&cat=11&id=6&artlang=en

then when i try to install the net-snmp package that i require to
monitor my box i get the following error:

[root@sc-devld-1 etc]# yum install net-snmp
Repository base is listed more than once in the configuration
Repository contrib is listed more than once in the configuration
Repository centosplus is listed more than once in the configuration
Repository addons is listed more than once in the configuration
Repository extras is listed more than once in the configuration
This system is not registered with RHN.
RHN support will be disabled.
Setting up Install Process
Setting up repositories
not using ftp, http[s], or file for repos, skipping - 5Client is not a
valid release or hasnt been released yet
Error: Cannot find a valid baseurl for repo: update

Please let me know what needs to be done.

Thanks
Jatin

Old 05-12-2010, 06:19 AM
John R Pierce

Jatin Davey wrote:
> Hi
>
> I am using CentOS 5.3 and after installing the OS i scrolled to the
> /etc/yum.repos.d directory and i could not find any repositories being
> present there. So i googled a bit on adding the repositories and found
> the link:
>
> http://www.osresources.com/index.php?action=artikel&cat=11&id=6&artlang=en

thats some *really* bad advice. really really bad. undo everything
yuou did there, and follow this instead...
http://wiki.centos.org/AdditionalResources/Repositories

Old 05-12-2010, 06:48 AM
Jatin Davey

On 5/12/2010 11:49 AM, John R Pierce wrote:
> Jatin Davey wrote:
>
>> Hi
>>
>> I am using CentOS 5.3 and after installing the OS i scrolled to the
>> /etc/yum.repos.d directory and i could not find any repositories being
>> present there. So i googled a bit on adding the repositories and found
>> the link:
>>
>> http://www.osresources.com/index.php?action=artikel&cat=11&id=6&artlang=en
>>

> thats some *really* bad advice. really really bad. undo everything
> yuou did there, and follow this instead...
> http://wiki.centos.org/AdditionalResources/Repositories

I follwed the link that you have given but in it the explanation is
given assuming that the Base repo is already present in the
/etc/yum.repos.d directory but in my box i dont have any files in the
/etc/yum.repos.d directory.

So how do i add these basic needed repositories. In all my other boxes i
do have it in the yum/repos.d directory. Please guide me in this regard.

Thanks
Jatin

Old 05-12-2010, 06:56 AM
"John R. Dennison"

On Wed, May 12, 2010 at 12:18:59PM +0530, Jatin Davey wrote:

> I follwed the link that you have given but in it the explanation is
> given assuming that the Base repo is already present in the
> /etc/yum.repos.d directory but in my box i dont have any files in the
> /etc/yum.repos.d directory.
>
> So how do i add these basic needed repositories. In all my other boxes i
> do have it in the yum/repos.d directory. Please guide me in this regard.

You are running some VPS-incarnation of CentOS, aren't you?

Try the following link and follow the applicable steps:

http://wiki.centos.org/TipsAndTricks/BrokenVserver

John
--
Most people hate the idea of evolution because they realize that if it were
working properly, they'd be dead.

-- Anonymous

Old 05-12-2010, 08:03 AM
"Tom G. Christensen"

Jatin Davey wrote:
> Hi
>
> I am using CentOS 5.3 and after installing the OS i scrolled to the
> /etc/yum.repos.d directory and i could not find any repositories being
> present there. So i googled a bit on adding the repositories and found
> the link:

That sounds very much like you've actually installed RHEL and not CentOS.

You can look at /etc/redhat-release to see what you've actually installed.

-tgc

Old 05-12-2010, 08:09 AM
Jatin Davey

On 5/12/2010 1:33 PM, Tom G. Christensen wrote:
> Jatin Davey wrote:
>
>> Hi
>>
>> I am using CentOS 5.3 and after installing the OS i scrolled to the
>> /etc/yum.repos.d directory and i could not find any repositories being
>> present there. So i googled a bit on adding the repositories and found
>> the link:
>>

> That sounds very much like you've actually installed RHEL and not CentOS.
>
> You can look at /etc/redhat-release to see what you've actually installed.
>
> -tgc

This is what i get as the output when i check the release of my system:

[root@sc-devld-1 pluginconf.d]# cat /etc/*release
CentOS release 5.3 (Final)

Thanks
Jatin

Old 05-12-2010, 08:57 AM
Jatin Davey

On 5/12/2010 12:26 PM, John R. Dennison wrote:
> On Wed, May 12, 2010 at 12:18:59PM +0530, Jatin Davey wrote:
>
>> I follwed the link that you have given but in it the explanation is
>> given assuming that the Base repo is already present in the
>> /etc/yum.repos.d directory but in my box i dont have any files in the
>> /etc/yum.repos.d directory.
>>
>> So how do i add these basic needed repositories. In all my other boxes i
>> do have it in the yum/repos.d directory. Please guide me in this regard.
>>
> You are running some VPS-incarnation of CentOS, aren't you?
>
> Try the following link and follow the applicable steps:
>
> http://wiki.centos.org/TipsAndTricks/BrokenVserver
>

> John

As per the link it says that the yum is broken but yum is working on my
box , it gave me the following output when i try to install the net-snmp
package.

[root@sc-devld-1 yum.repos.d]# yum install net-snmp
This system is not registered with RHN.
RHN support will be disabled.
Setting up Install Process
Setting up repositories
not using ftp, http[s], or file for repos, skipping - 5Client is not a
valid release or hasnt been released yet
Error: Cannot find a valid baseurl for repo: base

Thanks
Jatin

Old 05-12-2010, 09:18 AM
"John R. Dennison"

On Wed, May 12, 2010 at 02:27:56PM +0530, Jatin Davey wrote:

> [root@sc-devld-1 yum.repos.d]# yum install net-snmp
> This system is not registered with RHN.
> RHN support will be disabled.
> Setting up Install Process
> Setting up repositories
> not using ftp, http[s], or file for repos, skipping - 5Client is not a
> valid release or hasnt been released yet
> Error: Cannot find a valid baseurl for repo: base

That's a RHEL5 box from the looks of it, but from a follow-up
post of yours /etc/redhat-release says it's centos. The two
are mutually exclusive. Also, /etc/redhat-release is a simple
text file that can be made to say anything so it's not a great
source of proper identification.

What does "rpm -q centos-release" say?

John

--
It is not bigotry to be certain we are right; but it is bigotry to be unable
to imagine how we might possibly have gone wrong.

Old 05-12-2010, 09:25 AM
Jatin Davey

On 5/12/2010 2:48 PM, John R. Dennison wrote:
> On Wed, May 12, 2010 at 02:27:56PM +0530, Jatin Davey wrote:
>
>> [root@sc-devld-1 yum.repos.d]# yum install net-snmp
>> This system is not registered with RHN.
>> RHN support will be disabled.
>> Setting up Install Process
>> Setting up repositories
>> not using ftp, http[s], or file for repos, skipping - 5Client is not a
>> valid release or hasnt been released yet
>> Error: Cannot find a valid baseurl for repo: base
>>
> That's a RHEL5 box from the looks of it, but from a follow-up
> post of yours /etc/redhat-release says it's centos. The two
> are mutually exclusive. Also, /etc/redhat-release is a simple
> text file that can be made to say anything so it's not a great
> source of proper identification.
>
> What does "rpm -q centos-release" say?
>

> John

Thanks for responding john,

This is what i get from the output of the command that you had asked for:

[root@sc-devld-1 etc]# rpm -q centos-release
package centos-release is not installed

Also i found that there is a file named as redhat-release.bak in the
/etc directory , doing a cat on it gives the following output:

[root@sc-devld-1 etc]# cat redhat-release.bak
Red Hat Enterprise Linux Client release 5 (Tikanga)

Thanks
Jatin

Old 05-12-2010, 09:41 AM
"John R. Dennison"

On Wed, May 12, 2010 at 02:55:49PM +0530, Jatin Davey wrote:

> [root@sc-devld-1 etc]# rpm -q centos-release
> package centos-release is not installed

Not CentOS

> Also i found that there is a file named as redhat-release.bak in the
> /etc directory , doing a cat on it gives the following output:
>
> [root@sc-devld-1 etc]# cat redhat-release.bak
> Red Hat Enterprise Linux Client release 5 (Tikanga)

Something *very* fishy is going on. In my opinion the
state of that box can not be guaranteed and it should
be reinstalled with either RHEL as it apparently originally
was or as CentOS.

John
--
I want a government small enough to fit inside the Constitution.

-- DownsizeDC.org co-founder Harry Browne (1933-2006)