Old 11-23-2007, 04:38 PM
Rogelio

Default snapshots of server state with F/OSS software

I'm looking for something (ideally) in the CentOS repo that lets me easily take and restore snapshots of my system while powered on (similar to how later versions of Norton Ghost work).* Is LVM my best bet to do this?

*
(I hate to admit this, but up to this point when I've been in a pinch, I've just powered the box down on off hours and then imaged it via*some sort of live cd)

Old 11-23-2007, 04:40 PM
Frank Cox

On Fri, 23 Nov 2007 09:38:00 -0800
Rogelio <scubacuda@gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm looking for something (ideally) in the CentOS repo that lets me easily
> take and restore snapshots of my system while powered on (similar to how
> later versions of Norton Ghost work). Is LVM my best bet to do this?

What about dd?

Old 11-23-2007, 04:44 PM
Rogelio

On 11/23/07, Frank Cox <theatre@sasktel.net> wrote:
> I'm looking for something (ideally) in the CentOS repo that lets me easily
> take and restore snapshots of my system while powered on (similar to how

> later versions of Norton Ghost work).**Is LVM my best bet to do this?

What about dd?
*
But won't that mean that I dd the *entire* hard drive, and not just that which has changed? (Or maybe dd has some options in this department that I haven't used?)