-   -   mail server best practices question (http://www.linux-archive.org/centos/368874-mail-server-best-practices-question.html)

Coert 05-10-2010 11:01 AM

mail server best practices question

Hello all,

About a year ago I set up a mail server on CentOS using this howto:
http://wanderingbarque.com/howtos/mailserver/mailserver.html
I managed to add amavisd-new with clamav and spamassassin.
It runs very well, but it runs on CentOS 5.2, and if I try to upgrade,
amavisd-new and clamav break.
we are now also at the point where a backup mx will need to be implemented.

If necessary I am willing to implement a new mail server and a new
backup mx.

What I would like to know is what solution you guys would recommend for
the mail server and the backup MX?

Coert

Brian McKerr 05-10-2010 12:02 PM

mail server best practices question

I use Mailscanner with postfix and Mailwatch to manage quarantine etc;

http://mailscanner.info/

On the backup MX, I just use postfix and some basic anti-spam stuff. Very little gets through and even less gets through to the primary. I am aware that some spam techniques go straight to the backup MX because most people don't set it up quite as well as the primary. YMMV.

I also used to use greylisting, which does reduce spam, but, unfortunately it also reduces valid mail ;-) In the end I'd rather suffer a few spams getting through compared to the delayed receipt of important emails.

Brian.

Ryan Manikowski 05-10-2010 01:19 PM

On 5/10/2010 8:02 AM, Brian McKerr wrote:
> I use Mailscanner with postfix and Mailwatch to manage quarantine etc;
>
> http://mailscanner.info/
>
> On the backup MX, I just use postfix and some basic anti-spam stuff.
> Very little gets through and even less gets through to the primary. I
> am aware that some spam techniques go straight to the backup MX
> because most people don't set it up quite as well as the primary. YMMV.
>
> I also used to use greylisting, which does reduce spam, but,
> unfortunately it also reduces valid mail ;-) In the end I'd rather
> suffer a few spams getting through compared to the delayed receipt of
> important emails.
>
> Brian.

Another vote here for Mailscanner + Postfix. Add a few RBL's into your
postfix config and spam will be at a minimum.

--
Ryan Manikowski

]] Devision Media Services LLC [[
www.devision.us
ryan@devision.us | 716.771.2282

Ned Slider 05-10-2010 02:20 PM

Coert wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> About a year ago I set up a mail server on CentOS using this howto:
> http://wanderingbarque.com/howtos/mailserver/mailserver.html
> I managed to add amavisd-new with clamav and spamassassin.
> It runs very well, but it runs on CentOS 5.2, and if I try to upgrade,
> amavisd-new and clamav break.
> we are now also at the point where a backup mx will need to be implemented.
>
> If necessary I am willing to implement a new mail server and a new
> backup mx.
>
> What I would like to know is what solution you guys would recommend for
> the mail server and the backup MX?

> Regards,
> Coert

I would follow the CentOS Wiki HowTo docs for Postfix, which are
currently maintained for CentOS 5:

http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos#head-0facb50d5796bee0bd394636c32ffa9a997a6ab5

http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/postfix
http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/Amavisd

If things break, report it and I'll fix the documentation. I'm running
that setup so I do tend to notice when things break.

I've recently updated to the latest amavisd-new, clamav and spamassassin
- all largely without issue but I would always advise you read the
release notes and track their respective mailing lists for potential issues.

Les Mikesell 05-10-2010 03:58 PM

On 5/10/2010 8:19 AM, Ryan Manikowski wrote:
> On 5/10/2010 8:02 AM, Brian McKerr wrote:
>> I use Mailscanner with postfix and Mailwatch to manage quarantine etc;
>>
>> http://mailscanner.info/
>>
>> On the backup MX, I just use postfix and some basic anti-spam stuff.
>> Very little gets through and even less gets through to the primary. I
>> am aware that some spam techniques go straight to the backup MX
>> because most people don't set it up quite as well as the primary. YMMV.
>>
>> I also used to use greylisting, which does reduce spam, but,
>> unfortunately it also reduces valid mail ;-) In the end I'd rather
>> suffer a few spams getting through compared to the delayed receipt of
>> important emails.
>
> Another vote here for Mailscanner + Postfix. Add a few RBL's into your
> postfix config and spam will be at a minimum.

Or, if you like sendmail, MimeDefang works well to combine all the usual
milter operations so you can control them with a simple perl snippet.
Rpmforge has MimeDefang and Clamav packages that work together with a
simple permission change so it is easy to stay up to date.

--
Les Mikesell
lesmikesell@gmail.com

Rob Kampen 05-10-2010 04:44 PM

Ned Slider wrote:

Coert wrote:

[...]

+1 - I use this setup on a number servers / domains - it just seems to
work - thanks for keeping this current.

Alexander Dalloz 05-10-2010 06:33 PM

Am 10.05.2010 14:02, schrieb Brian McKerr:

> I use Mailscanner with postfix and Mailwatch to manage quarantine etc;
>
> http://mailscanner.info/

I don't intend to start a flamewar, but given Wieste's repeated warnings
on the Postfix mailinglist[1] and expressed on

http://www.postfix.org/addon.html

as

"mailscanner system, works with Postfix and other MTAs. WARNING: This
software uses unsupported methods to manipulate Postfix queue files
directly. This will result in corruption or loss of mail. The
mailscanner authors have sofar refused to discuss a proper access API or
protocol."

I call that combination not being best practice.

Regards

Alexander

[1] http://readlist.com/lists/postfix.org/postfix-users/7/36311.html

Ralph Angenendt 05-10-2010 06:37 PM

Am 10.05.10 13:01, schrieb Coert:
> Hello all,
>
> About a year ago I set up a mail server on CentOS using this howto:
> http://wanderingbarque.com/howtos/mailserver/mailserver.html
> I managed to add amavisd-new with clamav and spamassassin.
> It runs very well, but it runs on CentOS 5.2, and if I try to upgrade,
> amavisd-new and clamav break.

Oh please don't say what happens. If you use amavisd-new and clamav from
rpmforge (or from epel), they don't break when updating. And please
don't tell me you ran clamav non-updated since CentOS 5.2 - it had
several security issues since then.

Ralph

Ned Slider 05-10-2010 07:02 PM

Rob Kampen wrote:
> Ned Slider wrote:
>> Coert wrote:
>>
>>> Hello all,
>>>
>>> About a year ago I set up a mail server on CentOS using this howto:
>>> http://wanderingbarque.com/howtos/mailserver/mailserver.html
>>> I managed to add amavisd-new with clamav and spamassassin.
>>> It runs very well, but it runs on CentOS 5.2, and if I try to upgrade,
>>> amavisd-new and clamav break.
>>> we are now also at the point where a backup mx will need to be implemented.
>>>
>>> If necessary I am willing to implement a new mail server and a new
>>> backup mx.
>>>
>>> What I would like to know is what solution you guys would recommend for
>>> the mail server and the backup MX?
>>>
>>> Any pointers would be greatly appreciated.
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>> Coert
>>>

>> I would follow the CentOS Wiki HowTo docs for Postfix, which are
>> currently maintained for CentOS 5:
>>
>> http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos#head-0facb50d5796bee0bd394636c32ffa9a997a6ab5
>>
>> http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/postfix
>> http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/Amavisd
>>
>> If things break, report it and I'll fix the documentation. I'm running
>> that setup so I do tend to notice when things break.
>>
>> I've recently updated to the latest amavisd-new, clamav and spamassassin
>> - all largely without issue but I would always advise you read the
>> release notes and track their respective mailing lists for potential issues.
>>

> +1 - I use this setup on a number servers / domains - it just seems to work -
> thanks for keeping this current.

Ah, don't thank me, I just wrote the docs - the real thanks is due to
the guys upstream who write the software and the packagers at rpmforge
who make sure it integrates well into the distro :)

Benjamin Franz 05-10-2010 07:51 PM

On 05/10/2010 11:37 AM, Ralph Angenendt wrote:
> Am 10.05.10 13:01, schrieb Coert:
>
>> Hello all,
>>
>> About a year ago I set up a mail server on CentOS using this howto:
>> http://wanderingbarque.com/howtos/mailserver/mailserver.html
>> I managed to add amavisd-new with clamav and spamassassin.
>> It runs very well, but it runs on CentOS 5.2, and if I try to upgrade,
>> amavisd-new and clamav break.
>>
> Oh please don't say what happens. If you use amavisd-new and clamav from
> rpmforge (or from epel), they don't break when updating. And please
> don't tell me you ran clamav non-updated since CentOS 5.2 - it had
> several security issues since then.

Actually, they do (break when updating, that is).

The problem is at least one of the packagers for clamd/amavisd-new
blindly overrides the path to clamd.sock by overwriting the config file
leaving the two out-of-sync (and so unable to function).

It is easily fixed by resetting the path - but you do have to watch out
for it on upgrades.

--
Benjamin Franz