Old 05-11-2010, 05:58 AM
Christopher Chan

Default mail server best practices question

On Tuesday, May 11, 2010 01:46 PM, Les Mikesell wrote:
> Christopher Chan wrote:
>>>
>>> With reference to your other message in this thread, MailScanner calls
>>> spamd/clamd as part of the process but the real value in my mind is the
>>> granular handling in MailScanner which is sort of complete overkill but
>>> it totally works and scratches about every itch you ever had in running
>>> a mail server.
>>
>> I'm sure the same can be said of mimedefang and more. When I find
>> something is not met by the postfix provided mechanisms, I'll take a
>> look at these other solutions.
>
> MimeDefang is about as efficient as you can get because it multiplexes the
> milter hooks separately as needed between the front/back end processes so it
> doesn't keep a perl process running for every sendmail process and you don't
> have fast operations waiting for slow ones to complete - and it runs
> spamassassin in the backend daemon processes instead of starting a new copy for
> each message. Plus, it splits out the attachments only once for as many
> scanning operations as you configure.
>
> In theory, you can run MimeDefang as a postfix milter these days but I don't
> know if it actually works.

It should. postfix's support of milter should have reached the level
that mimedefang uses a year or two iirc. It should support changing the
recipient and what not. that I don't quite recall right now. that
mimedefang expects from the milter interface.

Old 05-11-2010, 10:21 AM
Coert

Benjamin Franz wrote:
> On 05/10/2010 01:30 PM, Les Mikesell wrote:
>> On 5/10/2010 2:51 PM, Benjamin Franz wrote:
>>> Actually, they do (break when updating, that is).
>>>
>>> The problem is at least one of the packagers for clamd/amavisd-new
>>> blindly overrides the path to clamd.sock by overwriting the config file
>>> leaving the two out-of-sync (and so unable to function).
>>>
>>> It is easily fixed by resetting the path - but you do have to watch out
>>> for it on upgrades.
>>>
>> Is this a result of having multiple uncoordinated 3rd party repositories
>> enabled during an update and flipping repositories as the version
>> numbering jumps (more or less expected behavior...) or are you saying
>> that a single packager flipped the format in an incompatible way?
>>

> This is using rpmforge/Dag (only). That is the only 3rd party repo I use
> for my production systems. Updates of clamd has replaced /etc/clamd.conf
> twice on me in the last year or two, each time breaking my mail system
> until I fixed it. Most recently in April of this year.

Should I be worried if the only clamd.conf on the mail server is in
/usr/share/doc?

Virus scanning is working.

Old 05-11-2010, 10:28 AM
Coert

Coert wrote:
> Benjamin Franz wrote:

>>> Is this a result of having multiple uncoordinated 3rd party repositories
>>> enabled during an update and flipping repositories as the version
>>> numbering jumps (more or less expected behavior...) or are you saying
>>> that a single packager flipped the format in an incompatible way?
>>>

>> This is using rpmforge/Dag (only). That is the only 3rd party repo I use
>> for my production systems. Updates of clamd has replaced /etc/clamd.conf
>> twice on me in the last year or two, each time breaking my mail system
>> until I fixed it. Most recently in April of this year.
>>

> Should I be worried if the only clamd.conf on the mail server is in
> /usr/share/doc?
>
> Virus scanning is working.

Sorry about that, false alarm.
It runs via amavis currently and its config is in /etc/clamd.d/amavisd.conf

Old 05-11-2010, 11:02 AM
Coert

Ned Slider wrote:
> Coert wrote:
>> Hello all,
>>
>> About a year ago I set up a mail server on CentOS using this howto:
>> http://wanderingbarque.com/howtos/mailserver/mailserver.html
>> I managed to add amavisd-new with clamav and spamassassin.
>> It runs very well, but it runs on CentOS 5.2, and if I try to upgrade,
>> amavisd-new and clamav break.
>> we are now also at the point where a backup mx will need to be implemented.
>>
>> If necessary I am willing to implement a new mail server and a new
>> backup mx.
>>
>> What I would like to know is what solution you guys would recommend for
>> the mail server and the backup MX?
>>
>> Any pointers would be greatly appreciated.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Coert
>
> I would follow the CentOS Wiki HowTo docs for Postfix, which are
> currently maintained for CentOS 5:
>
> http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos#head-0facb50d5796bee0bd394636c32ffa9a997a6ab5
>
> http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/postfix
> http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/Amavisd
>
> If things break, report it and I'll fix the documentation. I'm running
> that setup so I do tend to notice when things break.
>
> I've recently updated to the latest amavisd-new, clamav and spamassassin
> - all largely without issue but I would always advise you read the
> release notes and track their respective mailing lists for potential issues.

Hello Ned,

Thank you for the links, and all the work you put in!

I also obtained Oreilly's Definitive Guide to Postfix, for some extra
reading, also because I will need virtual domains..

Kind regards,
Coert