-   -   Formatting file system too slow on CentOS (http://www.linux-archive.org/centos/368765-formatting-file-system-too-slow-centos.html)

David Suhendrik 05-10-2010 03:03 AM

Formatting file system too slow on CentOS

Dear All,
I've a new server HP DL 180 G6 with quad core processor, ram 4 GB, hdd
(WDC) 1x750GB Sata.
I was confused when installing CentOS 5 64bit on that server, I take
about two hours to format the ext3 file system. is this normal?

Because when I compare with other sata hard drive in another computer
file system format is not too long like that.
And when I copy the file on the local hard drive for longer time when
compared with the copy of the file on another server.

How to debug on this issue?

--
Best regards,
David

Eero Volotinen 05-10-2010 03:53 AM

2010/5/10 David Suhendrik <david@pnyet.web.id>:
> Dear All,
> I've a new server HP DL 180 G6 with quad core processor, ram 4 GB, hdd
> (WDC) 1x750GB Sata.
> I was confused when installing CentOS 5 64bit on that server, I take
> about two hours to format the ext3 file system. is this normal?

well, that size of ext3 usually takes lot of time. use xfs, if you
want fast format..

--
Eero

kalinix 05-10-2010 07:42 AM

Formatting file system too slow on CentOS

I've a new server HP DL 180 G6 with quad core processor, ram 4 GB, hdd
(WDC) 1x750GB Sata.
I was confused when installing CentOS 5 64bit on that server, I take
about two hours to format the ext3 file system. is this normal?

Because when I compare with other sata hard drive in another computer
file system format is not too long like that.
And when I copy the file on the local hard drive for longer time when
compared with the copy of the file on another server.

How to debug on this issue?

--
Best regards,
David
http://blog.pnyet.web.id

Could you please check in BIOS whether SATA is in native or IDE emulation mode. I've seen this on systems where SATA were in IDE emulation.

Calin

Key fingerprint = 37B8 0DA5 9B2A 8554 FB2B 4145 5DC1 15DD A3EF E857

You're already carrying the sphere!

Rajagopal Swaminathan 05-10-2010 08:13 AM

Formatting file system too slow on CentOS

Greetings,

On Mon, May 10, 2010 at 8:33 AM, David Suhendrik <david@pnyet.web.id> wrote:
> Dear All,
> How to debug on this issue?

Just run the hdparm -tT /dev/devname.

If the speed is anything less than 30MB/s, try addind ide0probe=no in
the kernel line of the grub

check the man pages of course to get the correct stuff.

It worked for me on a a *lot* of HP systems

Regards,

Rajagopal

Timo Schoeler 05-10-2010 08:19 AM

Formatting file system too slow on CentOS

David Suhendrik 05-11-2010 02:38 AM

Formatting file system too slow on CentOS

@Rajagopal:

This result:
# hdparm -tT /dev/hda5

/dev/hda5:
Timing cached reads: 9952 MB in 2.00 seconds = 4980.51 MB/sec
Timing buffered disk reads: 8 MB in 3.08 seconds = 2.60 MB/sec

@Timo:

458930-B21 HP 750GB 7.2k HP MDL SATA

I don't have idea for this case :(

--
Best regards,
David

Rajagopal Swaminathan 05-11-2010 06:08 AM

On Tue, May 11, 2010 at 8:08 AM, David Suhendrik <david@pnyet.web.id> wrote:
> @Rajagopal:
>
> This result:
> # hdparm -tT /dev/hda5
>
> /dev/hda5:
> *Timing buffered disk reads: * *8 MB in *3.08 seconds = * 2.60 MB/sec

First of all it should report /dev/sda and not /dev/hda

It is a horrible speed for modern disks.

Modern SATA disks show around 50-80 MB/Sec

I am sure ide0noprobe=no (or zero -- check docs) in the kernel mline
will surely speed up in addition to other suggestions will
dramatically speed up.

Regards,

Rajagopal

Timo Schoeler 05-11-2010 06:12 AM

Formatting file system too slow on CentOS

thus David Suhendrik spake:
> @Rajagopal:
>
> This result:
> # hdparm -tT /dev/hda5
>
> /dev/hda5:
> Timing cached reads: 9952 MB in 2.00 seconds = 4980.51 MB/sec
> Timing buffered disk reads: 8 MB in 3.08 seconds = 2.60 MB/sec
>
> @Timo:
>
> 458930-B21 HP 750GB 7.2k HP MDL SATA
>
> I don't have idea for this case :(

Hm, says that's *not* a 4K drive, so this is not the source for the
problem. Would have been too easy...

Timo

John R Pierce 05-11-2010 06:29 AM

David Suhendrik wrote:
> @Rajagopal:
>
> This result:
> # hdparm -tT /dev/hda5
>
> /dev/hda5:
> Timing cached reads: 9952 MB in 2.00 seconds = 4980.51 MB/sec
> Timing buffered disk reads: 8 MB in 3.08 seconds = 2.60 MB/sec

8MB/sec sounds like Programmed IO (PIO) to me.

its probably 100% CPU busy too.

Christoph Maser 05-11-2010 07:52 PM

Am Dienstag, den 11.05.2010, 11:38 +0530 schrieb Rajagopal Swaminathan:
> Greetings,
>
> On Tue, May 11, 2010 at 8:08 AM, David Suhendrik <david@pnyet.web.id> wrote:
> > @Rajagopal:
> >
> > This result:
> > # hdparm -tT /dev/hda5
> >
> > /dev/hda5:
> > Timing buffered disk reads: 8 MB in 3.08 seconds = 2.60 MB/sec
> >

> First of all it should report /dev/sda and not /dev/hda
>
> It is a horrible speed for modern disks.
>

> Modern SATA disks show around 50-80 MB/Sec
>
> I am sure ide0noprobe=no (or zero -- check docs) in the kernel mline
> will surely speed up in addition to other suggestions will
> dramatically speed up.

As will setting the operation mode in mode in BIOS from compatible to
SATA. First thing i do on all HP servers when they are shipped.

Chris