Old 05-09-2010, 02:07 AM
Larry Brower

Default Vim - In INSERT Mode, the Backspace key does not work

Wang, Mary Y wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I'm not very good with Vim.
> I noticed when it is in INSERT Mode, the backspace key no longer works.
> How to do I configure it so that it will work with the backspace key?
>
> Any ideas?
> Thanks
> Mary

try using :set bs and/or :fixdel

'backspace' 'bs' string (default "")
global
{not in Vi}
Influences the working of <BS>, <Del>, CTRL-W and CTRL-U in
Insert
mode. This is a list of items, separated by commas. Each
item allows
a way to backspace over something:
value effect ~
indent allow backspacing over autoindent
eol allow backspacing over line breaks (join lines)
start allow backspacing over the start of insert; CTRL-W
and CTRL-U
stop once at the start of insert.

When the value is empty, Vi compatible backspacing is used.

For backwards compatibility with version 5.4 and earlier:
value effect ~
0 same as ":set backspace=" (Vi compatible)
1 same as ":set backspace=indent,eol"
2 same as ":set backspace=indent,eol,start"

See |:fixdel| if your <BS> or <Del> key does not do what you
want.
NOTE: This option is set to "" when 'compatible' is set.

Old 05-09-2010, 02:24 AM
"Wang, Mary Y"

Thanks for the info. It worked. I'd like to have the Backspace key acts like a delete key (delete the key and move the cursor -1 position to the left) by default (like vi in the INSERT mode). Can I configure it something in the .vimrc file, so that it acts the way I wanted every time that I bring up a Vim session?

Thanks
Mary

Old 05-09-2010, 02:31 AM
Larry Brower

Wang, Mary Y wrote:
> Thanks for the info. It worked. I'd like to have the Backspace key acts like a delete key (delete the key and move the cursor -1 position to the left) by default (like vi in the INSERT mode). Can I configure it something in the .vimrc file, so that it acts the way I wanted every time that I bring up a Vim session?
>
> Thanks
> Mary

try adding

set nocompatible
set bs=indent,eol,start

Old 05-09-2010, 02:38 AM
"Wang, Mary Y"

Yuppie!!! It works. Thanks again.

Mary

> Thanks for the info. It worked. I'd like to have the Backspace key acts like a delete key (delete the key and move the cursor -1 position to the left) by default (like vi in the INSERT mode). Can I configure it something in the .vimrc file, so that it acts the way I wanted every time that I bring up a Vim session?
>
> Thanks
> Mary

try adding

set nocompatible