Old 05-08-2010, 01:23 PM
Michael Klinosky

Default which gcc package?

Hello.
I tried to compile a program (plugger), but I don't have *any* sort of
compiler installed. This is on Cent5.3.

So, I used Package Manager, concentrating on gcc. But, it seems that I
have a choice, thus:
gcc-4.1.2-46.el5.i386
gcc-4.1.2-46.el5_4.1.i386
gcc-4.1.2-46.el5_4.2.i386
gcc-c++-4.1.2-46.el5.i386
gcc-c++-4.1.2-46.el5_4.1.i386
gcc-c++-4.1.2-46.el5_4.2.i386
... along with some others (Fortran, Ada, Java, and Obj-C).

I'm thinking that I need only 1 'flavor' (say, gcc-4.1.2-46.el5.i386 and
gcc-c++-4.1.2-46.el5.i386) - correct?

I tried a google.com/linux search - the only link that seemed helpful
was http://gcc.gnu.org/ -- where I found only this:
"The core distribution includes the C language front end as well as the
shared components." I have no clue which package would be the FE, and
what the shared components are. Perhaps 1 of those packages is the core?

Old 05-08-2010, 01:44 PM
Robert Heller

> Hello.
> I tried to compile a program (plugger), but I don't have *any* sort of
> compiler installed. This is on Cent5.3.
>
> So, I used Package Manager, concentrating on gcc. But, it seems that I
> have a choice, thus:
> gcc-4.1.2-46.el5.i386
> gcc-4.1.2-46.el5_4.1.i386
> gcc-4.1.2-46.el5_4.2.i386
> gcc-c++-4.1.2-46.el5.i386
> gcc-c++-4.1.2-46.el5_4.1.i386
> gcc-c++-4.1.2-46.el5_4.2.i386
> ... along with some others (Fortran, Ada, Java, and Obj-C).
>
> I'm thinking that I need only 1 'flavor' (say, gcc-4.1.2-46.el5.i386 and
> gcc-c++-4.1.2-46.el5.i386) - correct?

You just need to do 'yum install gcc gcc-c++ binutils glibc-devel'.
You might also need to do a 'yum install make autoconf automake
libtool' as well, depending on what Plugger uses as it build system
(and what else you don't have installed). You might also need various
???-devel packages as well.

> I tried a google.com/linux search - the only link that seemed helpful
> was http://gcc.gnu.org/ -- where I found only this:
> "The core distribution includes the C language front end as well as the
> shared components." I have no clue which package would be the FE, and
> what the shared components are. Perhaps 1 of those packages is the core?

Robert Heller -- 978-544-6933
heller@deepsoft.com -- http://www.deepsoft.com/ModelRailroadSystem/

Old 05-08-2010, 01:55 PM
Benjamin Franz

On 05/08/2010 06:23 AM, Michael Klinosky wrote:
> Hello.
> I tried to compile a program (plugger), but I don't have *any* sort of
> compiler installed. This is on Cent5.3.

[...]
> I tried a google.com/linux search - the only link that seemed helpful
> was http://gcc.gnu.org/ -- where I found only this:
> "The core distribution includes the C language front end as well as the
> shared components." I have no clue which package would be the FE, and
> what the shared components are. Perhaps 1 of those packages is the core?

I would use a group install rather than messing around package by
package. As root run:

yum groupinstall 'Development Libraries' 'Development Tools'

--
Benjamin Franz

Old 05-08-2010, 06:14 PM
John R Pierce

Benjamin Franz wrote:
> On 05/08/2010 06:23 AM, Michael Klinosky wrote:
>
>> Hello.
>> I tried to compile a program (plugger), but I don't have *any* sort of
>> compiler installed. This is on Cent5.3.
>>
> I would use a group install rather than messing around package by
> package. As root run:
>
> yum groupinstall 'Development Libraries' 'Development Tools'

indeed, as you typically not only need the compiler itself, but the
build tool suite, as well as libraries for various things, and assorted
utilities. The above groupinstall command gets you very far down the
path, although it does load quite a large number of packages (on a slow
link, it could take several hours).

Old 05-09-2010, 11:57 AM
Michael Klinosky

Robert Heller wrote:
> You just need to do 'yum install gcc gcc-c++ binutils glibc-devel'.

That seems to have done the trick. I do get compile errors, but I think
there's a problem with the code.

Thank you.

Old 05-09-2010, 12:27 PM
Hakan Koseoglu

On 9 May 2010 12:57, Michael Klinosky <mpk2@enter.net> wrote:
> Robert Heller wrote:
>> You just need to do 'yum install gcc gcc-c++ binutils glibc-devel'.
> That seems to have done the trick. I do get compile errors, but I think
> there's a problem with the code.
Depending on the requirements of the source code you are trying to
compile you might have to fetch some development packages for various
libraries, for example if it uses ncurses, you will want ncurses-devel
package.

Old 05-09-2010, 03:48 PM
Michael Klinosky

Hakan Koseoglu wrote:
> Depending on the requirements of the source code you are trying to
> compile you might have to fetch some development packages for various
> libraries, for example if it uses ncurses, you will want ncurses-devel
> package.

This problem seems (to my semi-newby brain) to be related to X --

[root@sr1220 plugger-5.1.3]# make
gcc -c -O2 -Ipluginsdk/include -INONE -DXP_UNIX -DVERSION="5.1.3"
-fPIC -o plugger.o plugger.c
In file included from plugger.c:43:
pluginsdk/include/npapi.h:129:22: error: X11/Xlib.h: No such file or
directory
In file included from plugger.c:43:
pluginsdk/include/npapi.h:148: error: expected specifier-qualifier-list
before ‘Display’
plugger.c:48:19: error: X11/X.h: No such file or directory
plugger.c:49:21: error: X11/Xos.h: No such file or directory
plugger.c:50:27: error: X11/Intrinsic.h: No such file or directory
plugger.c:51:23: error: X11/Xatom.h: No such file or directory
plugger.c:76: error: expected specifier-qualifier-list before ‘Display’
plugger.c: In function ‘my_fork’:
plugger.c:231: error: ‘struct data’ has no member named ‘flags’
plugger.c:232: error: ‘struct data’ has no member named ‘display’
... and a bunch more errors (which are probably due to these).

I emailed the coder yesterday - still waiting for a reply.

Old 05-09-2010, 04:33 PM
Alexander Dalloz

Am 09.05.2010 17:48, schrieb Michael Klinosky:
> Hakan Koseoglu wrote:
>> Depending on the requirements of the source code you are trying to
>> compile you might have to fetch some development packages for various
>> libraries, for example if it uses ncurses, you will want ncurses-devel
>> package.
>
> This problem seems (to my semi-newby brain) to be related to X --
>
> [root@sr1220 plugger-5.1.3]# make
> gcc -c -O2 -Ipluginsdk/include -INONE -DXP_UNIX -DVERSION="5.1.3"
> -fPIC -o plugger.o plugger.c
> In file included from plugger.c:43:
> pluginsdk/include/npapi.h:129:22: error: X11/Xlib.h: No such file or
> directory
> In file included from plugger.c:43:
> pluginsdk/include/npapi.h:148: error: expected specifier-qualifier-list
> before ‘Display’
> plugger.c:48:19: error: X11/X.h: No such file or directory
> plugger.c:49:21: error: X11/Xos.h: No such file or directory
> plugger.c:50:27: error: X11/Intrinsic.h: No such file or directory
> plugger.c:51:23: error: X11/Xatom.h: No such file or directory
> plugger.c:76: error: expected specifier-qualifier-list before ‘Display’
> plugger.c: In function ‘my_fork’:
> plugger.c:231: error: ‘struct data’ has no member named ‘flags’
> plugger.c:232: error: ‘struct data’ has no member named ‘display’
> ... and a bunch more errors (which are probably due to these).
>
> I emailed the coder yesterday - still waiting for a reply.

You need to install an additional -devel packages.

yum provides */Xlib.h

libX11-devel-1.0.3-11.el5.x86_64 : X.Org X11 libX11 Entwicklungspaket
Repo : base
Matched from:
Filename : /usr/include/X11/Xlib.h

Same result for all the other missinge includes.

Alexander

Old 05-09-2010, 04:44 PM
Michael Klinosky

Alexander Dalloz wrote:
> You need to install an additional -devel packages.

Given a list of 10 choices, that would've been at the bottom. I _never_
would have guessed!

> yum provides */Xlib.h

Thank you for today's linux lesson. I'm just delving into compiling
programs.

Old 05-09-2010, 05:01 PM
Hakan Koseoglu

Michael,

On 9 May 2010 16:48, Michael Klinosky <mpk2@enter.net> wrote:
> Hakan Koseoglu wrote:
>> Depending on the requirements of the source code you are trying to
>> compile you might have to fetch some development packages for various
>> libraries, for example if it uses ncurses, you will want ncurses-devel
>> package.
> This problem seems (to my semi-newby brain) to be related to X --
>
> [root@sr1220 plugger-5.1.3]# make
> gcc -c -O2 -Ipluginsdk/include -INONE -DXP_UNIX *-DVERSION="5.1.3"
> -fPIC *-o plugger.o plugger.c
> In file included from plugger.c:43:
> pluginsdk/include/npapi.h:129:22: error: X11/Xlib.h: No such file or
> directory
You need to get familiar with how C libraries work.

You are trying to compile a package which calls the Xlib library. The
definitions for the library (i.e., what methods and functions are
available to programmer) is stored in a file called header file which
ends with the extension h.

In most distributions, these are stored separately to the libraries
(i.e., runtime only dependencies).

If you do a search for your missing header file with the command

yum provides *X11/Xlib.h

you will see that this is provided with the libX11-devel package. Then
you can install this package with the command

yum install libX11-devel

and so on for all of your missing dependencies.

> I emailed the coder yesterday - still waiting for a reply.
This is nothing to do with the coder. I think you will wait for a
while for the reply.