-   -   measuring kernel speed (http://www.linux-archive.org/centos/368133-measuring-kernel-speed.html)

Mag Gam 05-08-2010 12:35 PM

measuring kernel speed

At our Physics research labs we do a lot with low latency networks. We
have been using Centos for over 3 years now and its been great! We
would like to tune and optimize our setup by removing unneeded
packages -- kernel modules to be specific. I was wondering, how does
one measure the speed of the kernel. Is that even possible?

JohnS 05-08-2010 01:49 PM

measuring kernel speed

On Sat, 2010-05-08 at 08:35 -0400, Mag Gam wrote:
> At our Physics research labs we do a lot with low latency networks. We
> have been using Centos for over 3 years now and its been great! We
> would like to tune and optimize our setup by removing unneeded
> packages -- kernel modules to be specific. I was wondering, how does
> one measure the speed of the kernel. Is that even possible?
---
Very possible indeed and Interesting also.

You need the RT Kernel to do so. You can do so by using "Latencytop".
Needs to be compiled against the RT kernel then ran as root. You can
not run it as a user. The RT Kernel all ready has what is needed to run
it. The main line does not.

Bad News: CentOS does not yet offer a RT Built Kernel. So you have to
roll your own which is not hard to do so. Which requires the whole set
as in you would want the rt trace kernel also. I build my own plus the
other grid packages.

kernel-rt-2.6.24.7-149.el5
kernel-rt-devel-2.6.24.7-149.el5
kernel-rt-vanilla-devel-2.6.24.7-149.el5
kernel-rt-trace-2.6.24.7-149.el5
kernel-rt-doc-2.6.24.7-149.el5
kernel-rt-vanilla-2.6.24.7-149.el5
kernel-rt-trace-devel-2.6.24.7-149.el5

There is of one place that has a RT Kernel if you want to try it so
maybe that person will post a link to this thread for you.

John

Akemi Yagi 05-08-2010 02:10 PM

measuring kernel speed

On Sat, May 8, 2010 at 6:49 AM, JohnS <jses27@gmail.com> wrote:

> There is of one place that has a RT Kernel if you want to try it so
> maybe that person will post a link to this thread for you.

Are you referring to me, John? :)

You are welcome to provide the link as far as it is stated that they
are for testing purposes only:

http://centos.toracat.org/kernel/centos5/realtime/

Akemi

JohnS 05-08-2010 02:24 PM

measuring kernel speed

On Sat, 2010-05-08 at 07:10 -0700, Akemi Yagi wrote:
> On Sat, May 8, 2010 at 6:49 AM, JohnS <jses27@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > There is of one place that has a RT Kernel if you want to try it so
> > maybe that person will post a link to this thread for you.
>
> Are you referring to me, John? :)
>
> You are welcome to provide the link as far as it is stated that they
> are for testing purposes only:
>
> http://centos.toracat.org/kernel/centos5/realtime/
>
> Akemi
----
Thank you :-)

John

Ross Walker 05-08-2010 08:17 PM

measuring kernel speed

On May 8, 2010, at 8:35 AM, Mag Gam <magawake@gmail.com> wrote:

> At our Physics research labs we do a lot with low latency networks. We
> have been using Centos for over 3 years now and its been great! We
> would like to tune and optimize our setup by removing unneeded
> packages -- kernel modules to be specific. I was wondering, how does
> one measure the speed of the kernel. Is that even possible?

Use oprofile.

-Ross

JohnS 05-08-2010 11:36 PM

measuring kernel speed

On Sat, 2010-05-08 at 16:17 -0400, Ross Walker wrote:
> On May 8, 2010, at 8:35 AM, Mag Gam <magawake@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > At our Physics research labs we do a lot with low latency networks. We
> > have been using Centos for over 3 years now and its been great! We
> > would like to tune and optimize our setup by removing unneeded
> > packages -- kernel modules to be specific. I was wondering, how does
> > one measure the speed of the kernel. Is that even possible?
>
> Use oprofile.
---
Ross,

I was kinda interested in what oprofile would do but from the faq[1] it
says RH is not supported. Is this still hold true? Do you use it?

John

[1] http://oprofile.sourceforge.net/faq/

JohnS 05-08-2010 11:38 PM

measuring kernel speed

On Sat, 2010-05-08 at 16:17 -0400, Ross Walker wrote:
> On May 8, 2010, at 8:35 AM, Mag Gam <magawake@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > At our Physics research labs we do a lot with low latency networks. We
> > have been using Centos for over 3 years now and its been great! We
> > would like to tune and optimize our setup by removing unneeded
> > packages -- kernel modules to be specific. I was wondering, how does
> > one measure the speed of the kernel. Is that even possible?
>
> Use oprofile.
>
> -Ross
---
Ross, never mind I just yummed it onto a machine there faq is inheritly
wrong.

John

Mag Gam 05-09-2010 03:38 PM

measuring kernel speed

This is an interesting topic.

So, how does one compare the kernel "speed" from RT and Stock kernel?

Is there a benchmark I can use? For example (I know this is wrong):
can I look at /proc/cpuinfo and look at the bogmips and compare and
contrast?

Ross Walker 05-10-2010 01:46 AM

measuring kernel speed

On Sat, May 8, 2010 at 7:38 PM, JohnS <jses27@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sat, 2010-05-08 at 16:17 -0400, Ross Walker wrote:
>> On May 8, 2010, at 8:35 AM, Mag Gam <magawake@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> > At our Physics research labs we do a lot with low latency networks. We
>> > have been using Centos for over 3 years now and its been great! We
>> > would like to tune and optimize our setup by removing unneeded
>> > packages -- kernel modules to be specific. I was wondering, how does
>> > one measure the speed of the kernel. Is that even possible?
>>
>> Use oprofile.
>>
>> -Ross
> ---
> Ross, never mind I just yummed it onto a machine there faq is inheritly
> wrong.

The FAQ is only correct in respect to the project's view.

Redhat has a custom oprofile that works with their custom kernels, so
stock oprofile from the project's site IS incompatible, but that's OK
cause RH provides one that works with their distro.

-Ross

Ross Walker 05-10-2010 01:49 AM

measuring kernel speed

On Sun, May 9, 2010 at 11:38 AM, Mag Gam <magawake@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sat, May 8, 2010 at 7:38 PM, JohnS <jses27@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Use oprofile.
>>>
>>> -Ross
>> ---
>> Ross, never mind I just yummed it onto a machine there faq is inheritly
>> wrong.
>>
>> John
>>
> This is an interesting topic.
>
> So, how does one compare the kernel "speed" from RT and Stock kernel?
>
> Is there a benchmark I can use? For example (I know this is wrong):
> can I look at /proc/cpuinfo and look at the bogmips and compare and
> contrast?

I think there are numerous ways, but of the top of my head, oprofile
the application on the stock kernel, then oprofile the application on
the RT kernel and compare the results.

-Ross