Old 05-07-2010, 01:20 AM
Ming-ching Chiu

Default installing gtkmm

Hi,
I've been building a gtkmm project on ubuntu and things run smoothly. Now i have to move the project to CentOS 5.4. I set up rpm forge and installed gtkmm. Turns out that the package on rpmforge is too old that my project doesn't compile. I wonder if there is other way to get newer version of gtkmm and all its dependencies instead of manually install them?

-best,
Ming-ching

Old 05-07-2010, 04:16 AM
Arun Khan

On Fri, May 7, 2010 at 6:50 AM, Ming-ching Chiu <percle@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
> I've been building a gtkmm project on ubuntu and things run smoothly. Now i have to move the project to CentOS 5.4. I set up rpm forge and installed gtkmm. Turns out that the package on rpmforge is too old that my project doesn't compile. I wonder if there is other way to get newer version of gtkmm and all its dependencies instead of manually install them?

(a) You can use "alien" and convert the .deb package to .rpm package
and try installing it - caveat not recommended but worth a try
(dependencies from the "other" distro can be a nightmare to resolve).

(b) build the package from source. many tar ball nowadays come with a
.spec file to build the RPM package.

HTH
-- Arun Khan

Old 05-07-2010, 02:29 PM
Steve Huff

On May 6, 2010, at 9:20 PM, Ming-ching Chiu wrote:

> Now i have to move the project to CentOS 5.4. I set up rpm forge and installed gtkmm. Turns out that the package on rpmforge is too old that my project doesn't compile. I wonder if there is other way to get newer version of gtkmm and all its dependencies instead of manually install them?

RPMforge provides a gtkmm package, a gtkmm2 package, and a gtkmm24 package. is the gtkmm24 package too old for your project? if so, what version do you require?

thanks,
-steve

--
If this were played upon a stage now, I could condemn it as an improbable fiction. - Fabian, Twelfth Night, III,v
http://five.sentenc.es

Old 05-07-2010, 02:33 PM

Steve wrote:
> On May 6, 2010, at 9:20 PM, Ming-ching Chiu wrote:
>
>> Now i have to move the project to CentOS 5.4. I set up rpm forge and
>> installed gtkmm. Turns out that the package on rpmforge is too old that
>> my project doesn't compile. I wonder if there is other way to get newer
>> version of gtkmm and all its dependencies instead of manually install
>> them?
>
> RPMforge provides a gtkmm package, a gtkmm2 package, and a gtkmm24
> package. is the gtkmm24 package too old for your project? if so, what
> version do you require?
<snip>
A side comment here - you *might* also consider who will be using your
project - if it's only you and whoever you're with, fine, but if anyone
else is going to use it, perhaps you should look at whether you actually
*need* the functions in the newer releases, and make it so it compiles
with the older stuff... so that folks who haven't, or are not allowed to
pull non-release stuff (that is, they're only allowed what yum from the
std. repositories), can use it.

mark