-   -   was, Resolving dependencies from the command-line, is ProCurve switch (http://www.linux-archive.org/centos/367329-resolving-dependencies-command-line-procurve-switch.html)

05-06-2010 07:19 PM

was, Resolving dependencies from the command-line, is ProCurve switch

> On 5/6/2010 1:55 PM, m.roth@5-cent.us wrote:
>>> "Stuck"... I'm working with a remote instance through terminal
>>> services into a VM running on Microsoft Hyper-V... The mouse didn't
>>> work at all, but yum has that all fixed up now.
<snip>
>> mark wrote:
<snip>
>> Could be worse - I'm trying to get minicom to talk to an HP ProCurve
>> switch, and it just won't talk.
>
> Try this
>
> Bits per second: 115200 (or try 9600)
> Data bits: 8
> Parity: None
> Submit
> Stop bits: 1
> Flow control: None

Thanks - yeah, I saw that in the manual, and online, saw the 9600, did
that, no joy at all. Just sits there at a blank screen. Btw, about flow
control: h/w?s/w? Those are my two options in minicom.

Meanwhile, on the switch (ssh'ing in, but I need to get the serial port
working so I can get a newer version of the firmware there (what's there
is *ancient*), show console reports flow control as xon/xoff....

mark

"Joseph L. Casale" 05-06-2010 07:31 PM

was, Resolving dependencies from the command-line, is ProCurve switch

>Meanwhile, on the switch (ssh'ing in, but I need to get the serial port
>working so I can get a newer version of the firmware there (what's there
>is *ancient*), show console reports flow control as xon/xoff....

If you have ssh access, why are you trying to use a serial console for
firmware updates? If its old, there is a supported interim path to bring
it current via tftp using ssh?

Ryan Manikowski 05-06-2010 07:35 PM

was, Resolving dependencies from the command-line, is ProCurve switch

>> Try this
>>
>> Bits per second: 115200 (or try 9600)
>> Data bits: 8
>> Parity: None
>> Submit
>> Stop bits: 1
>> Flow control: None
>>
> Thanks - yeah, I saw that in the manual, and online, saw the 9600, did
> that, no joy at all. Just sits there at a blank screen. Btw, about flow
> control: h/w?s/w? Those are my two options in minicom.
>
> Meanwhile, on the switch (ssh'ing in, but I need to get the serial port
> working so I can get a newer version of the firmware there (what's there
> is *ancient*), show console reports flow control as xon/xoff....

F - Hardware Flow Control : No
G - Software Flow Control : No

--
Ryan Manikowski

]] Devision Media Services LLC [[
www.devision.us
ryan@devision.us | 716.771.2282

05-06-2010 07:43 PM

Joseph wrote:
>>Meanwhile, on the switch (ssh'ing in, but I need to get the serial port
>>working so I can get a newer version of the firmware there (what's there
>>is *ancient*), show console reports flow control as xon/xoff....
>
> If you have ssh access, why are you trying to use a serial console for
> firmware updates? If its old, there is a supported interim path to bring
> it current via tftp using ssh?

Because I was trying to avoid setting up a tftp server. Because it
*should* have been no big deal. As it was, for some reason, it used to get
its IP via dhcp, then it lost it, and I had to set up a dhcpd *server*,
because the main ones don't allow bootp (so why it suddenly couldn't get
it, I have no clue), and *then* I could get in and manually give it an IP,
and *then* I could telnet in (and fire up the ssh access, and turn down
the telnet access), and I'd *really* like to upgrade the firmware, which
one hopes will have something higher than SSL level 1....

Yeah, it's been one of those where it keeps being one problem inside another.

Oh, and yum doesn't see a package kermit, or ckermit, and running kermit
inside minicom, maybe for that reason (dunno if they have kermit emulation
built into minicom) doesn't seem to do anything.

mark

05-06-2010 07:47 PM

was, Resolving dependencies from the command-line, is ProCurve switch

> On 5/6/2010 3:19 PM, m.roth@5-cent.us wrote:
>>
>>> Try this
>>>
>>> Bits per second: 115200 (or try 9600)
>>> Data bits: 8
>>> Parity: None
>>> Submit
>>> Stop bits: 1
>>> Flow control: None
>>>
>> Thanks - yeah, I saw that in the manual, and online, saw the 9600, did
>> that, no joy at all. Just sits there at a blank screen. Btw, about flow
>> control: h/w?s/w? Those are my two options in minicom.
>>
>> Meanwhile, on the switch (ssh'ing in, but I need to get the serial port
>> working so I can get a newer version of the firmware there (what's there
>> is *ancient*), show console reports flow control as xon/xoff....
>
> F - Hardware Flow Control : No
> G - Software Flow Control : No

*sigh* Oh, and add a linefeed, per the online (not in doc) instructions,
and still no joy, it just sits there. I do know, btw, that the cable's
good - it's a straight through - since another admin uses this cable from
this server to go to her L2 controller on the big (older) SGI cluster.

mark

"Joseph L. Casale" 05-06-2010 08:01 PM

was, Resolving dependencies from the command-line, is ProCurve switch

>Because I was trying to avoid setting up a tftp server. Because it
>*should* have been no big deal.

/me ducking...

Just "how" long you been avoiding a simple `yum install tftp-server`?
Mark buddy, I think its Miller time:)

Les Mikesell 05-06-2010 08:10 PM

was, Resolving dependencies from the command-line, is ProCurve switch

> Joseph wrote:
>>> Meanwhile, on the switch (ssh'ing in, but I need to get the serial port
>>> working so I can get a newer version of the firmware there (what's there
>>> is *ancient*), show console reports flow control as xon/xoff....
>>
>> If you have ssh access, why are you trying to use a serial console for
>> firmware updates? If its old, there is a supported interim path to bring
>> it current via tftp using ssh?
>
> Because I was trying to avoid setting up a tftp server. Because it
> *should* have been no big deal. As it was, for some reason, it used to get
> its IP via dhcp, then it lost it, and I had to set up a dhcpd *server*,
> because the main ones don't allow bootp (so why it suddenly couldn't get
> it, I have no clue), and *then* I could get in and manually give it an IP,
> and *then* I could telnet in (and fire up the ssh access, and turn down
> the telnet access), and I'd *really* like to upgrade the firmware, which
> one hopes will have something higher than SSL level 1....
>
> Yeah, it's been one of those where it keeps being one problem inside another.
>
> Oh, and yum doesn't see a package kermit, or ckermit, and running kermit
> inside minicom, maybe for that reason (dunno if they have kermit emulation
> built into minicom) doesn't seem to do anything.

I forgot ckermit was dropped between Centos4 and 5. You could compile
from source, but enabling tftp is probably easier - and you might have a
broken serial port anyway...

--
Les Mikesell
lesmikesell@gmail.com

05-06-2010 08:18 PM

Joeseph wrote:
mark wrote:
>>Because I was trying to avoid setting up a tftp server. Because it
>>*should* have been no big deal.
>
> /me ducking...
>
> Just "how" long you been avoiding a simple `yum install tftp-server`?

Yeah, well, I had to go through the first fire drill just to get on in the
first place. I'd *REALLY* like to know *why* the damn serial port's not
working the way I expect it to.

> Mark buddy, I think its Miller time:)

Nahhh, I want *real* bheer, say, a dark ale.

mark