Old 05-06-2010, 04:22 PM
Marco Shaw

Default Resolving dependencies from the command-line

CenOS 5.4 x64

I'm stuck at the command-line. I'm only familiar with the RPM
command, but AFAIK, that cannot automatically resolve any dependencies
when installing packages.

Is there a command-line utility that I can force to automatically
install all the dependencies for a particular package? I seem to
remember a new UI was added recently that could, but I have to
complete this from a prompt.

Marco

Old 05-06-2010, 04:26 PM
"Marcelo M. Garcia"

Marco Shaw wrote:
> CenOS 5.4 x64
>
> Is there a command-line utility that I can force to automatically
> install all the dependencies for a particular package?

yum?

mg.

Old 05-06-2010, 04:29 PM
Christoph Maser

Am Donnerstag, den 06.05.2010, 18:22 +0200 schrieb Marco Shaw:
> CenOS 5.4 x64
>
> I'm stuck at the command-line. I'm only familiar with the RPM
> command, but AFAIK, that cannot automatically resolve any dependencies
> when installing packages.
>
> Is there a command-line utility that I can force to automatically
> install all the dependencies for a particular package? I seem to
> remember a new UI was added recently that could, but I have to
> complete this from a prompt.
>
> Marco

http://www.centos.org/docs/5/html/yum/

financial.com AG

Management board/Vorstand: Dr. Steffen Boehnert | Dr. Alexis Eisenhofer | Dr. Yann Samson | Matthias Wiederwach

Old 05-06-2010, 04:40 PM

> CenOS 5.4 x64
>
> I'm stuck at the command-line. I'm only familiar with the RPM
> command, but AFAIK, that cannot automatically resolve any dependencies
> when installing packages.
>
> Is there a command-line utility that I can force to automatically
> install all the dependencies for a particular package? I seem to
> remember a new UI was added recently that could, but I have to
> complete this from a prompt.

Several folks have already pointed to yum. This is the *intended* package
manager, as pkgmanager is for Solaris.

And what do you mean, "stuck"?

mark, who'd like to get an xterm & command line up on his
netbook with MIE....

Old 05-06-2010, 04:49 PM
Marco Shaw

"Stuck"... I'm working with a remote instance through terminal
services into a VM running on Microsoft Hyper-V... The mouse didn't
work at all, but yum has that all fixed up now.

Thanks all...

Old 05-06-2010, 05:55 PM

mark wrote:
>> Several folks have already pointed to yum. This is the *intended*
>> package manager, as pkgmanager is for Solaris.
>>
>> And what do you mean, "stuck"?

Oh. <mutter>Windows, why did it have to be WinDoze?</mutter>

Could be worse - I'm trying to get minicom to talk to an HP ProCurve
switch, and it just won't talk.

mark

Old 05-06-2010, 05:57 PM
Alan McKay

yum

Old 05-06-2010, 06:16 PM
Les Mikesell

>> "Stuck"... I'm working with a remote instance through terminal
>> services into a VM running on Microsoft Hyper-V... The mouse didn't
>> work at all, but yum has that all fixed up now.
>>
>> Thanks all...
>>
> mark wrote:
>>> Several folks have already pointed to yum. This is the *intended*
>>> package manager, as pkgmanager is for Solaris.
>>>
>>> And what do you mean, "stuck"?
>
> Oh.<mutter>Windows, why did it have to be WinDoze?</mutter>
>
> Could be worse - I'm trying to get minicom to talk to an HP ProCurve
> switch, and it just won't talk.

Have you tried ckermit? Its command/scripting language is a little
weird but it can do about anything communications-related either over
serial or tcp connections. You might need a 'set carrier off' before
the 'connect' if you aren't seeing the CD line up in your connection.

--
Les Mikesell
lesmikesell@gmail.com

Old 05-06-2010, 06:19 PM
Ryan Manikowski

>> "Stuck"... I'm working with a remote instance through terminal
>> services into a VM running on Microsoft Hyper-V... The mouse didn't
>> work at all, but yum has that all fixed up now.
>>
>> Thanks all...
>>

> mark wrote:
>
>>> Several folks have already pointed to yum. This is the *intended*
>>> package manager, as pkgmanager is for Solaris.
>>>
>>> And what do you mean, "stuck"?
>>>
> Oh. <mutter>Windows, why did it have to be WinDoze?</mutter>
>
> Could be worse - I'm trying to get minicom to talk to an HP ProCurve
> switch, and it just won't talk.
>
> mark

Try this

Bits per second: 115200 (or try 9600)