Old 05-05-2010, 05:13 PM
Les Mikesell

Default Benchmark Disk IO

On 5/5/2010 12:00 PM, Karanbir Singh wrote:

>> Try to run the same IO operations as your production server is running.
>> Bonnie++ could be good application for benchmarking. Also run some
>> parallel rsync, rm, find, etc proccesses.
>>

> I am with John Pierce on this one, role and app will dictate benchmarks
> that reflect reality.
>
> Having said that, I think iozone> bonnie++

If the job involves creating/deleting lots of little files like a mail
server with maildir format storage, you might try to dig up a copy of
postmark too.

--
Les Mikesell
lesmikesell@gmail.com

Old 05-05-2010, 10:38 PM
Ross Walker

On May 5, 2010, at 1:13 PM, Les Mikesell <lesmikesell@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 5/5/2010 12:00 PM, Karanbir Singh wrote:
>>
>>> Try to run the same IO operations as your production server is
>>> running.
>>> Bonnie++ could be good application for benchmarking. Also run some
>>> parallel rsync, rm, find, etc proccesses.
>>>

>> I am with John Pierce on this one, role and app will dictate
>> benchmarks
>> that reflect reality.
>>
>> Having said that, I think iozone> bonnie++
>
> If the job involves creating/deleting lots of little files like a mail
> server with maildir format storage, you might try to dig up a copy of
> postmark too.

I found iometer is a good tool for real-world benchmarking if you take
the time to setup the tests according to the workload.

-Ross

Old 05-06-2010, 07:47 AM
Евгений Килимчук

Hi!

Use a simple test:
time dd if=/dev/zero of=/tmp/test-hd bs=1M count=1000

Sysbench:
http://sysbench.sourceforge.net/docs/#fileio_mode

And this:
http://assets.en.oreilly.com/1/event/27/Linux%20Filesystem%20Performance%20for%20Databases %20Presentation.pdf