Old 05-05-2010, 04:17 PM
Matt Keating

Default Benchmark Disk IO

What is the best way to benchmark disk IO?

I'm looking to move one of my servers, which is rather IO intense. But
not without first benchmarking the current and new disk array, To make
sure this isn't a full waste of time.

thanks

Old 05-05-2010, 04:42 PM
John R Pierce

Matt Keating wrote:
> What is the best way to benchmark disk IO?
>
> I'm looking to move one of my servers, which is rather IO intense. But
> not without first benchmarking the current and new disk array, To make
> sure this isn't a full waste of time.

synthetic benchmarks only tell you what the synthetic benchmarks
measure, which may or may not be of significance to your application.

Old 05-05-2010, 04:47 PM
"nate"

Matt Keating wrote:
> What is the best way to benchmark disk IO?
>
> I'm looking to move one of my servers, which is rather IO intense. But
> not without first benchmarking the current and new disk array, To make
> sure this isn't a full waste of time.

You can do a pretty easy calculation based on the #/type of drives
to determine the approx number of raw IOPS that are available, since
it's I/O intensive your probably best off with RAID 1+0, which further
simplifies the calculation, parity based raid can make it really
complicated.

7200 RPM disk = ~90 IOPS
10000 RPM disk = ~150-180 IOPS
15000 RPM disk = ~230-250 IOPS
SSD = <many more IOPS depending on flash type>

Otherwise, Iozone is a neat benchmark. SPC-1 is a great benchmark
for SQL-type apps though it's very high end and designed for testing
full storage arrays not a dinky server.

nate

Old 05-05-2010, 04:55 PM
Dominik Zyla

On Wed, May 05, 2010 at 05:17:53PM +0100, Matt Keating wrote:
> What is the best way to benchmark disk IO?
>
> I'm looking to move one of my servers, which is rather IO intense. But
> not without first benchmarking the current and new disk array, To make
> sure this isn't a full waste of time.

Try to run the same IO operations as your production server is running.
Bonnie++ could be good application for benchmarking. Also run some
parallel rsync, rm, find, etc proccesses.

It's good habbit to monitor machines with cacti or something like that.
After benchmarks, you can compare cacti graphs.

--
Dominik Zyla

Old 05-05-2010, 05:00 PM
Karanbir Singh

On 05/05/2010 05:55 PM, Dominik Zyla wrote:
> Try to run the same IO operations as your production server is running.
> Bonnie++ could be good application for benchmarking. Also run some
> parallel rsync, rm, find, etc proccesses.

I am with John Pierce on this one, role and app will dictate benchmarks
that reflect reality.

Having said that, I think iozone > bonnie++

- KB