Old 05-05-2010, 12:05 AM
ann kok

Default NIS question

Hi

How can we use NIS to control a user in different servers?

eg: serverA /home/userA/javaapplication
serverB /export/home/userA/javaapplication
serverC /vol/home/javaapplication

Thank you

Old 05-05-2010, 12:14 AM
Larry Brower

ann kok wrote:
> Hi
>
> How can we use NIS to control a user in different servers?
>
> eg: serverA /home/userA/javaapplication
> serverB /export/home/userA/javaapplication
> serverC /vol/home/javaapplication
>
> Thank you

Could you be more specific on what you are trying to do ?

Old 05-05-2010, 12:32 AM
Ray Van Dolson

On Tue, May 04, 2010 at 05:05:40PM -0700, ann kok wrote:
> Hi
>
> How can we use NIS to control a user in different servers?
>
> eg: serverA /home/userA/javaapplication
> serverB /export/home/userA/javaapplication
> serverC /vol/home/javaapplication
>
> Thank you

Automounter maps? I guess they'd need a bit of intelligence....

Ray

Old 05-05-2010, 08:59 AM
Lars Hecking

ann kok writes:
> Hi
>
> How can we use NIS to control a user in different servers?
>
> eg: serverA /home/userA/javaapplication
> serverB /export/home/userA/javaapplication
> serverC /vol/home/javaapplication

If you use NIS auto.home for home directories in general, e.g. /home/user,
you can install a local auto.home map on each server so that /home/userA is
a different physical directory on each server See 18.3.3.1 at
http://www.centos.org/docs/5/html/Deployment_Guide-en-US/s1-nfs-client-config-autofs.html.