Old 05-04-2010, 12:18 PM
Jerry Geis

Default question on sendmail.mc file

I tried to set in sendmail.mc file at the LAST line
define(`LUSER_RELAY', `local:unknownuser') dnl
I did service sendmail restart and got an error on a completely
different line.
-
as a thought I deleted that line and put it on line 2 of the sendmail.mc
file.
re-ran service sendmail restart and now it worked. I changed nothing else.

Is there something special about the placement of this command???

Thanks,

Jerry

Old 05-04-2010, 12:46 PM
Les Mikesell

Jerry Geis wrote:
> I tried to set in sendmail.mc file at the LAST line
> define(`LUSER_RELAY', `local:unknownuser') dnl
> I did service sendmail restart and got an error on a completely
> different line.
> -
> as a thought I deleted that line and put it on line 2 of the sendmail.mc
> file.
> re-ran service sendmail restart and now it worked. I changed nothing else.
>
> Is there something special about the placement of this command???

I don't know about all the specific details, but 'defines' have to appear before
the features that use the values.

--
Les Mikesell
lesmikesell@gmail.com

Old 05-05-2010, 03:50 AM
Jobst Schmalenbach

Using a trap-all user may seem like a good method to prevent spammers from determining what user accounts are on a system, but will also trap legitimate mail sent to an incorrect address (e.g. via a typo on the username). I would only user a trap-all on an entire domain dedicated to the purpose.

I have always found that there are better methods to decrease spamming (e.g. grey listing, greet pause, mimedefang).

However, if you really need to you coud try

define(`LUSER_RELAY',`local:someuser@your.domain')

Remember too, that user MUST exist!

Jobst

On Tue, May 04, 2010 at 08:18:28AM -0400, Jerry Geis (geisj@pagestation.com) wrote:
> I tried to set in sendmail.mc file at the LAST line
> define(`LUSER_RELAY', `local:unknownuser') dnl
> I did service sendmail restart and got an error on a completely
> different line.
> -
> as a thought I deleted that line and put it on line 2 of the sendmail.mc
> file.
> re-ran service sendmail restart and now it worked. I changed nothing else.
>
> Is there something special about the placement of this command???
>
> Thanks,
>
> Jerry

recursion (re - cur' - zhun) n. 1. (see recursion)

Old 05-05-2010, 10:57 AM
"Alexander Dalloz"

> I tried to set in sendmail.mc file at the LAST line
> define(`LUSER_RELAY', `local:unknownuser') dnl
> I did service sendmail restart and got an error on a completely
> different line.
> -
> as a thought I deleted that line and put it on line 2 of the sendmail.mc
> file.
> re-ran service sendmail restart and now it worked. I changed nothing else.
>
> Is there something special about the placement of this command???
>
> Thanks,
>
> Jerry

There is nothing special with the LUSER_RELAY definition, but in general
the order of the statements is important. Please see

http://www.sendmail.org/documentation/configurationReadme

The general rules are that the order should be:

VERSIONID
OSTYPE
DOMAIN
FEATURE