Old 05-03-2010, 04:06 PM
ken

Default gcc? (w/ a bit of "vi vs. emacs")

Find research and analysis on US healthcare, health insurance,
and health policy at: <http://healthpolicydaily.blogspot.com/>

On 05/03/2010 10:37 AM m.roth@5-cent.us wrote:
>> Nobody's mentioned glade2-- or as its listed in the gnome menu, "Glade
>> Interface Designer". It's a drag-and-drop GUI for creating windowed
>> apps. I.e., you select which widgets you want and drop them onto a
>> window, configure them, and then use whatever editor you want to create
>> the back-end code. Glade creates your app's code in variety of
>> different programming languages, C included.
>
> Interesting.

Yeah, it's so cool, I don't understand why there aren't a bazillion
Linux GUI apps for everything. It makes creating GUI apps actually fun!

>> For an editor I use emacs because I can use it for just about anything
>
> vi.
>
>> from creating plain text, shell scripts, html docs, and C code. Emacs
>> isn't just configurable, it's programmable. You can write code to add
>> or change the functionality emacs provides. It's been around since the
>> '60s and isn't likely to go away anytime in the next few decades.
>
> I could swear it had only been around since the eighties.... At any rate,
> yes, emacs, the windowing operating system masquerading as a programmers'
> editor....
>
> mark "we should take this to alt.religion.editors"

Yeah, I wish I had a nickel for every time I said "emacs" on a mailing
list and someone came back "vi". I'd own a paradise island somewhere. B-)

Just to earn myself another mythical nickel, I'll say: With emacs
tramp-mode I can, in a local emacs window, open a file on any other
machine in the world to which I have ssh access. This functionality has
come in handy countless times when doing work sysadmin stuff from home,
website development, and editing files on other machines on my home
network. There's barely any load on the remote machine and on the local
machine it's just about the same experience as editing a local file.

I should say too that I've been using vi just about every day for more
than a couple decades and it's fine for lots of occasions when I just
want to make a few small changes or create a small file. But for
creating or editing files, jumping around inside of them, complex
cutting-and-pasting, in files upwards of a megabyte and/or files
containing those idiosyncratic French, Spanish, and German characters
and even the entirety of Greek, Pali, Japanese, Sanskrit, Chinese, and
Russian alphabets, emacs is what works for me. And for other reasons too.

Different (key) strokes,
ken

Old 05-03-2010, 04:18 PM

Ken wrote:
> On 05/03/2010 10:37 AM m.roth@5-cent.us wrote:
>> someone wrote:
>>> Nobody's mentioned glade2-- or as its listed in the gnome menu, "Glade
<snip>
>> Interesting.
>
> Yeah, it's so cool, I don't understand why there aren't a bazillion
> Linux GUI apps for everything. It makes creating GUI apps actually fun!
>
>>> For an editor I use emacs because I can use it for just about anything
>>> vi.
>>
>>> from creating plain text, shell scripts, html docs, and C code. Emacs
>>> isn't just configurable, it's programmable. You can write code to add
>>> or change the functionality emacs provides. It's been around since the
>>> '60s and isn't likely to go away anytime in the next few decades.
>>
>> I could swear it had only been around since the eighties.... At any
>> rate, yes, emacs, the windowing operating system masquerading as a
>> programmers' editor....
>>
>> mark "we should take this to alt.religion.editors"
>
> Yeah, I wish I had a nickel for every time I said "emacs" on a mailing
> list and someone came back "vi". I'd own a paradise island somewhere.
> B-)

I'd have had that island a decade or more ago.

> Just to earn myself another mythical nickel, I'll say: With emacs
> tramp-mode I can, in a local emacs window, open a file on any other
> machine in the world to which I have ssh access. This functionality has
<snip>
Of course, the one *I* want is brief. I think $$ome editor$ still
advertise brief emulation mode. *How* many keystrokes is it to do column
copy in emacs?

mark

Old 05-03-2010, 08:47 PM
Bob McConnell

m.roth@5-cent.us wrote:
> Ken wrote:
> <snip>
>>> Interesting.
>> Yeah, it's so cool, I don't understand why there aren't a bazillion
>> Linux GUI apps for everything. It makes creating GUI apps actually fun!

>>> I could swear it had only been around since the eighties.... At any
>>> rate, yes, emacs, the windowing operating system masquerading as a
>>> programmers' editor....
>>>
>>> mark "we should take this to alt.religion.editors"
>> Yeah, I wish I had a nickel for every time I said "emacs" on a mailing
>> list and someone came back "vi". I'd own a paradise island somewhere.
>> B-)
>
> I'd have had that island a decade or more ago.
>> Just to earn myself another mythical nickel, I'll say: With emacs
>> tramp-mode I can, in a local emacs window, open a file on any other
>> machine in the world to which I have ssh access. This functionality has
> <snip>
> Of course, the one *I* want is brief. I think $$ome editor$ still
> advertise brief emulation mode. *How* many keystrokes is it to do column
> copy in emacs?

YES, brief is the best editor I have ever used. There are several
features like that I still miss. I actually have a couple of copies of
it in the original boxes, but it only runs on xx-DOS or OS/2. I plan to
use one of them on some 80386 based PC/104 boards I am getting ready to
reactivate. It will fit nicely into the 2MB flash drive with DR-DOS.

Bob McConnell
N2SPP

Old 05-03-2010, 08:58 PM

> m.roth@5-cent.us wrote:
>> Ken wrote:
>> <snip>
<snip>
<snip>
>> Of course, the one *I* want is brief. I think $$ome editor$ still
>> advertise brief emulation mode. *How* many keystrokes is it to do column
>> copy in emacs?
>
> YES, brief is the best editor I have ever used. There are several
> features like that I still miss. I actually have a couple of copies of
> it in the original boxes, but it only runs on xx-DOS or OS/2. I plan to
> use one of them on some 80386 based PC/104 boards I am getting ready to
> reactivate. It will fit nicely into the 2MB flash drive with DR-DOS.

I've got the original boxes, too - from somewhere I worked. I keep meaning
to see if they'll run under wine or xbox. AND the entire editor fits on
two 5.25" floppies....

mark "which would mean I'd have to halt my machine, and
install the drive, as I've been meaning to, so
I could go through and get rid of the several
hundred 5.25" floppies I've been dragging around...."

Old 05-04-2010, 02:24 AM
ken

On 05/03/2010 12:18 PM m.roth@5-cent.us wrote:
> Ken wrote:
>>>
> Of course, the one *I* want is brief. I think $$ome editor$ still
> advertise brief emulation mode. *How* many keystrokes is it to do column
> copy in emacs?

It's a *programmable* editor... so you could do it with one keystroke if
that's what you wanted.

Old 05-04-2010, 04:07 AM
Rob Kampen

Bob McConnell wrote:

m.roth@5-cent.us wrote:

Ken wrote:

[...]

Wow, I used to use this back in the day - it was a great editor but
never made it into the 21st century as far as I know.
Another one is ultraedit - now available for linux in rpm form for RHEL
- but it is not free.

HTH

Bob McConnell
N2SPP

Old 05-05-2010, 05:39 AM
Morten Torstensen

Looks like brief is still available, as a rewrite for Windows as a
console app. Can be run in linux using winconsole instead of wine.

<http://www.briefeditor.com/index.htm>

OTOH, I prefer ultraedit for linux (and windows) these days.

--
//Morten
//morten@mortent.org