Old 05-03-2010, 11:50 AM

Default Software Protection on centos

Hi,

*

I would like to have a software protection
for my hardisk. I have some query regarding that

(1) In Centos, is it possible to do a hardisk
protection. Ex : Even if the hardisk is taken from a PC and

used on another PC, it should not be executable.

(2) Also if the entire binary of the source
is mounted on a partition say /tmp, is it possible

*to make that mount point as protected,
visible only after entering a password or similar to that.

Regards,

Premraj M

Disclaimer : This message is proprietary
to Smartlink Network Systems Ltd. and is intended solely for the use of the
individual to whom it is addressed. It may contain privileged or confidential
information and should not be circulated or used for any purpose other than for
what it is intended. If you have received this message in error, please notify
the originator immediately. If you are not the intended recipient, you are
notified that you are strictly prohibited from using, copying, altering, or
disclosing the contents of this message. The company accepts no responsibility
for loss or damage arising from the use of the information transmitted by this
email including damage from virus.

This email has been
scrubbed for your protection by SecureMX. For more information visit
securemx.in

Old 05-03-2010, 12:34 PM
Jerry Franz

for my hardisk. I have some query regarding that

(1) In Centos, is it possible to do a
hardisk
protection. Ex : Even if the hardisk is taken from a PC and

used on another PC, it should not be
executable.

(2) Also if the entire binary of the
source
is mounted on a partition say /tmp, is it possible

*to make that mount point as protected,
visible only after entering a password or similar to that.

I would look at TrueCrypt.

http://www.truecrypt.org/

--

Benjamin Franz

Old 05-03-2010, 02:43 PM
Todd Denniston

Jerry Franz wrote, On 05/03/2010 08:34 AM:
> On 05/03/2010 04:50 AM, premrajm@digilink.in wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I would like to have a software protection for my hardisk. I have some
>> query regarding that
>>
>> (1) In Centos, is it possible to do a hardisk protection. Ex : Even if
>> the hardisk is taken from a PC and
>> used on another PC, it should not be executable.
>>
>> (2) Also if the entire binary of the source is mounted on a partition
>> say /tmp, is it possible
>> to make that mount point as protected, visible only after entering a
>> password or similar to that.
>
> I would look at TrueCrypt.
>
> http://www.truecrypt.org/

Why go to TrueCrypt when LUKS is built in to CentOS?
IIRC the only partition that can't be encrypted with LUKS is /boot, perhaps use TrueCrypt there if
you KNOW they are out to get you. TrueCrypt is also useful if you need to share a partition with
certain Non-Unix operating systems.

You do need to select the LUKS encryption when you do the CentOS install.

--
Todd Denniston