Old 05-03-2010, 07:31 AM
Georghy

Default Installing a CentOS based distro with Raid driver - Citrix XenServer

Hi everyone,
I'm trying to install a XenServer on a server (ref:S5000PAL)
http://www.intel.com/products/server/motherboards/s5000pal/s5000pal-overview.htm

The installation failed because of lack of Raid driver, I found this out
because I tried to install XenServer
without raid and it worked great.
I tried so many drivers, I don't know what to do
I tried also this trick :
http://forums.citrix.com/thread.jspa?messageID=1456872&#1456872
with this :
http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=18570&lang=fra
driver, but it didn't work (I use the SATA Raid controler not the SAS,
so it seems that I have to find the good driver for ESB2 but I'm not
sure and it uses megasr driver)
Anyone as a clue ?
PS : I posted on Citrix forum but nobody's answering, if someone here
has a clue I'm greatful to him

--
Cordialement, / Greetings,
Georghy FUSCO

Old 05-03-2010, 03:34 PM
Phil Schaffner

Georghy wrote on 05/03/2010 03:31 AM:
> Hi everyone,
> I'm trying to install a XenServer on a server (ref:S5000PAL)
> http://www.intel.com/products/server/motherboards/s5000pal/s5000pal-overview.htm

May be a "Fake RAID" rather than true hardware raid. See

http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/SoftwareRAIDonCentOS5

Phil

Old 05-04-2010, 08:38 AM
Georghy

Phil Schaffner a écrit :
> Georghy wrote on 05/03/2010 03:31 AM:
>
>> Hi everyone,
>> I'm trying to install a XenServer on a server (ref:S5000PAL)
>> http://www.intel.com/products/server/motherboards/s5000pal/s5000pal-overview.htm
>>

> May be a "Fake RAID" rather than true hardware raid. See
>
> http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/SoftwareRAIDonCentOS5
>
> Phil

thanks for answering, but it seemed it is quite difficult to know if a
RAID is a Fake or a real HW RAID,
my server (ie S5000PAL) is using 1068 or 1064E RAID chipset to allow
using RAID, I don't realy know
if it is either a good SW or HW RAID but my boss doesn't want me to use
Linux RAID instead of the SW RAID
provided by the system itself

--
Cordialement, / Greetings,
Georghy FUSCO

Old 05-04-2010, 10:26 AM
"Joseph L. Casale"

>> May be a "Fake RAID" rather than true hardware raid. See

*Is* fake raid onboard, you need the correct chassis midplane
w/ the associated DIMM to enable the LSI chip based hardware
raid.

> I don't realy know
>if it is either a good SW or HW RAID but my boss doesn't want me to use
>Linux RAID instead of the SW RAID
>provided by the system itself

Your boss unfortunately doesn't understand Linux well enough to
have come to that decision. When he writes the driver for you he
can then use it the way he hopes

Old 05-04-2010, 12:32 PM
Georghy

Joseph L. Casale a écrit :
>>> May be a "Fake RAID" rather than true hardware raid. See
>>>

> *Is* fake raid onboard, you need the correct chassis midplane
> w/ the associated DIMM to enable the LSI chip based hardware
> raid.

should I buy some chipset or is it totally Software or using the
hardware I had already ?

--
Cordialement, / Greetings,
Georghy FUSCO

Old 05-04-2010, 01:03 PM
Georghy

Phil Schaffner a écrit :
> Georghy wrote on 05/03/2010 03:31 AM:
>
>> Hi everyone,
>> I'm trying to install a XenServer on a server (ref:S5000PAL)
>> http://www.intel.com/products/server/motherboards/s5000pal/s5000pal-overview.htm
>>

> May be a "Fake RAID" rather than true hardware raid. See
>
> http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/SoftwareRAIDonCentOS5
>
> Phil

It seemed that the problem is solved for those who are in the same
position, i'll explain what you should do,
first of all try this : (according to the post :
http://forums.citrix.com/message.jspa?messageID=1400884)

(1)Download that driver :
http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&ProdId=3117&DwnldID=18570&l ang=fra
from the intel support web site

(2) install XenServer on the server you want to use with Raid disabled

(3) Install DDK machine domU on the XenServer

(4) copy the driver ESRT2 on the domU DDK using scp

(5) extract ESRT2 drivers

(6) use the following command : "make -C /usr/src/kernels/KERNEL_VERSION
M=SOURCE_PATH"

where KERNEL_VERSION is the name of the xen kernel (use uname -r), and
SOURCE_PATH is the path to your Makefile directory (ie if you extract
the driver on /root, the path is :
/root/ESRT2__Linux_v.13.13.1021.2009/shim/library/rhel5-32) it seemed
that rhel5-64 doesn't work according to the same topic named before

(7) scp the containt of rhel5-32 directory (zip or tar it before)

(8) extract it onto a usb key

(9) Enable the RAID onto the XenServer, launch the install of XenServer
on the the RAID

(10) during the install, before adding driver use alt+f2 create a
directory : mkdir /mnt , mount the usb pendrive "mount -t vfat /dev/sda1
/mnt"

(11) copy it on : /lib/modules/KERNEL_VERSION/kernel/drivers/scsi/
where KERNEL_VERSION is the name of the xen kernel (use uname -r)

(12) use insmod
/lib/modules/KERNEL_VERSION/kernel/drivers/scsi/megasr.ko (it can take
about 2-3 minutes so be patient)

(13) use alt+f1 to return to the installation, try to load the driver
using XenServer loadmodule

thanks for your help

--
Cordialement, / Greetings,
Georghy FUSCO

Old 05-04-2010, 04:11 PM
Tru Huynh

On Tue, May 04, 2010 at 03:03:00PM +0200, Georghy wrote:
> (1)Download that driver :
> http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&ProdId=3117&DwnldID=18570&l ang=fra
> from the intel support web site

You should have started your installation with "linux dd" and the initrd would
have been automatically created for you... (if xenserver works as CentOS-5)

http://downloadmirror.intel.com/18570/eng/ESRT2_RHEL4-5_SLES9-10-11_ver.13.13.1021.2009_Readme.txt

3.1.3 Installing RHEL5 (with or without Update 1, Update 2, Update 3, Update 4) on RAID
-----------------

In order to support XEN mode, the system needs to have its Virtualization feature enabled in BIOS as a first step, and XEN software package in the OS needs to be loaded during installation.

1) Create a RAID array using the Intel(R) Embedded Server RAID Technology II RAID BIOS Console.
2) Connect USB floppy drive and insert the floppy disk with RAID driver
3) Boot your system using RHEL5.0 DVD
4) At boot prompt type "linux dd noprobe=ata1 noprobe=ata2 noprobe=ata3 noprobe=ata4"
5) And then you'll see a page that shows "loading usb-storage driver", and then it will ask you "Do you have a driver disk". Choose "Yes"
6) Then it will ask you which one do you choose as a driver disk, choose "sda" which is the USB floppy disk. And then click OK to continue, you'll see the message "Reading driver disk", after it finishes, it will ask "Do you wish to load any more driver disks?" choose No if you do not have any more driver to load.
7) (If XEN mode feature is needed, the OS installatng KEY is necessary and then XEN software package needs to be loaded) Then continue with the RHEL automatic installation, you can see that in the page where we select drives to use for installation, you can only see 1 disk (Intel MegaSR), this means the raid is recognized.
8) At the last step of the installation (after all the packages are installed) RHEL5 prompts you to reboot. Do not click reboot button. Press Ctr+Alt+F2 to go to the text console prompt.
9) type "cat /proc/partitions" you will see some info about the partition. For example, you might find several rows, one row might include sdb. You might find like this

major minor #blocks name
8 16 1440 sdb

10) type "mknod /dev/sdb b 8 16" (8 and 16 are copied from the major and minor numbers in step #9, so that the numbers could change according to what is seen in step #9)
11) type "mkdir /temp"
12) type "mount /dev/sdb /temp"
13) type "ls /temp" and you can find all the driver files are now in /temp
14) Use cd command to enter /temp directory
15) type "./replace_ahci.sh" to execute the script. It will remove ahci from /etc/modprobe.conf and blacklist ahci in /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist (replace_ahci.sh is also an example, and please implement the script even if the *.sh is with other name).

Tru

Old 05-04-2010, 04:18 PM
"Joseph L. Casale"

>should I buy some chipset or is it totally Software or using the
>hardware I had already ?

Well, I don't what chassis you bought with it, and whether or not
it has the applicable midplane? Do you?

Old 05-05-2010, 07:20 AM
Georghy

Tru Huynh a écrit :
> On Tue, May 04, 2010 at 03:03:00PM +0200, Georghy wrote:
>
>> (1)Download that driver :
>> http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&ProdId=3117&DwnldID=18570&l ang=fra
>> from the intel support web site
>>

> You should have started your installation with "linux dd" and the initrd would
> have been automatically created for you... (if xenserver works as CentOS-5)

linux dd doesn't work, because linux label isn't in the boot
configuration of XenServer (I tried)
> http://downloadmirror.intel.com/18570/eng/ESRT2_RHEL4-5_SLES9-10-11_ver.13.13.1021.2009_Readme.txt
>
> 3.1.3 Installing RHEL5 (with or without Update 1, Update 2, Update 3, Update 4) on RAID
> -----------------
>
> In order to support XEN mode, the system needs to have its Virtualization feature enabled in BIOS as a first step, and XEN software package in the OS needs to be loaded during installation.
>
> 1) Create a RAID array using the Intel(R) Embedded Server RAID Technology II RAID BIOS Console.
> 2) Connect USB floppy drive and insert the floppy disk with RAID driver
> 3) Boot your system using RHEL5.0 DVD
> 4) At boot prompt type "linux dd noprobe=ata1 noprobe=ata2 noprobe=ata3 noprobe=ata4"

I tried this one too, but linux label is not recognized
> 5) And then you'll see a page that shows "loading usb-storage driver", and then it will ask you "Do you have a driver disk". Choose "Yes"

I tried but the system didn't find my drivers with this solution, so I
tried an insmod then it worked, my raid disk was recognized
> 6) Then it will ask you which one do you choose as a driver disk, choose "sda" which is the USB floppy disk. And then click OK to continue, you'll see the message "Reading driver disk", after it finishes, it will ask "Do you wish to load any more driver disks?" choose No if you do not have any more driver to load.
> 7) (If XEN mode feature is needed, the OS installatng KEY is necessary and then XEN software package needs to be loaded) Then continue with the RHEL automatic installation, you can see that in the page where we select drives to use for installation, you can only see 1 disk (Intel MegaSR), this means the raid is recognized.

Xen is always enabled on XenServer, I see 1 disk Intel megasr thanks to
my "insmod"
> 8) At the last step of the installation (after all the packages are installed) RHEL5 prompts you to reboot. Do not click reboot button. Press Ctr+Alt+F2 to go to the text console prompt.
> 9) type "cat /proc/partitions" you will see some info about the partition. For example, you might find several rows, one row might include sdb. You might find like this
>
> major minor #blocks name
> 8 16 1440 sdb
>
> 10) type "mknod /dev/sdb b 8 16" (8 and 16 are copied from the major and minor numbers in step #9, so that the numbers could change according to what is seen in step #9)

what is the goal of this step ?
> 11) type "mkdir /temp"
> 12) type "mount /dev/sdb /temp"
> 13) type "ls /temp" and you can find all the driver files are now in /temp
> 14) Use cd command to enter /temp directory
> 15) type "./replace_ahci.sh" to execute the script. It will remove ahci from /etc/modprobe.conf and blacklist ahci in /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist (replace_ahci.sh is also an example, and please implement the script even if the *.sh is with other name).

I've already tried to launch replace_ahci at the begining of the
install, it doesn't work, but i'll try it at the end of the install thanks

> Tru

Cordialement, / Greetings,
Georghy FUSCO

Old 05-05-2010, 07:21 AM
Georghy

Joseph L. Casale a écrit :
>> should I buy some chipset or is it totally Software or using the
>> hardware I had already ?
>>

> Well, I don't what chassis you bought with it, and whether or not
> it has the applicable midplane? Do you?

Nevermind, my raid disk are now recognized at the begining of the
installation

--
Cordialement, / Greetings,
Georghy FUSCO