Old 05-03-2010, 07:14 AM
hadi motamedi

Default gcc?

dear all i have gcc on my centos. I need to make an executable file
from my c code. Can you please let me know what stuff and company do i
need on my centos? Is there any gui like c++/visual c avalable for
centos? Thank you

Old 05-03-2010, 07:31 AM
Frank Cox

On Mon, 2010-05-03 at 08:14 +0100, hadi motamedi wrote:
> dear all i have gcc on my centos. I need to make an executable file
> from my c code. Can you please let me know what stuff and company do i
> need on my centos?

If you have basic c source code on your computer, and you have gcc
installed, you can compile it with this command:

gcc nameofsourcefile.c

That will give you an executable file called a.out in the same directory
as the source code.

If the source code requires a library (ncurses, gtk, etc) then you will
need to specify that on the commandline, too.

> Is there any gui like c++/visual c avalable for
> centos?

Are you trying to ask for a recommendation for a programmers editor? If
so, the best editor depends on the type of programming that you do.
There are numerous editors available on Centos, and many of them have C
templates. The simplest are probably gedit and vim, both of which will
automatically colourize C source code if the source file ends with .c.
Fancier editors like Geany, Anjuta and Eclipse are all highly
recommended by various people. I personally use Geany but again, the
best editor depends on your personal taste and expectations, and the
type of programming that you do.

Old 05-03-2010, 07:38 AM
hadi motamedi

>Are you trying to ask for a recommendation for a programmers editor?*
Thank you for your reply. Actually, I do not just need an C code editor but I am seeking if a complete software package like c++/visual c on Windows does exist for CentOS that enables for editing, debugging, running, online help for all of the commands, etc. Can you please let me know if such a complete package if available?

Old 05-03-2010, 08:55 AM
Benjamin Donnachie

On 3 May 2010, at 08:38, hadi motamedi <motamedi24@gmail.com> wrote:

> Can you please let me know if such a complete package if available?

Lots - do some basic research to find one that meets your needs, for
example http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=Linux+c%2B%2B+IDE

Ben

Old 05-03-2010, 10:02 AM
Mathieu Baudier

>> Can you please let me know if such a complete package if available?
>
> Lots - do some basic research to find one that meets your needs, for
> example http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=Linux+c%2B%2B+IDE

Yes there are a lot and it takes time to install and test them all...

I personnally settled for Eclipse CDT which integrates with the GNU
toolchain without hiding it.
That's also because I also use Eclipse as a Java IDE (much more than I
do C/C++ dev).

Download a recent version of Eclipse CDT.

Old 05-03-2010, 11:43 AM
Robert Heller

> >Are you trying to ask for a recommendation for a programmers editor?
> Thank you for your reply. Actually, I do not just need an C code editor but
> I am seeking if a complete software package like c++/visual c on Windows
> does exist for CentOS that enables for editing, debugging, running, online
> help for all of the commands, etc. Can you please let me know if such a
> complete package if available?

What you are looking for is called an IDE (Integrated Development
Environment). I believe that such a thing exists for the UNIX/Linux
world, but I have had no experience with such tools under UNIX (few
UNIX programmers bother with something like that).

Robert Heller -- 978-544-6933
heller@deepsoft.com -- http://www.deepsoft.com/ModelRailroadSystem/

Old 05-03-2010, 12:26 PM
"Massey, Ricky"